Search results

1. D

Pulling my hair out trying to get Supermicro IPMI to work

as mentioned, IP LAN should be dedicated and set to DHCP. Never understand why you would want to set static in a device. I always do that in the router.
  2. D

DIY TrueNAS build - Power consumption and performance for old socket 1151 systems?

Surprisingly, this is almost identical to my TrueNAS Core setup with the difference that i have an E3-1230 in it with 32GB ECC RAM and i run both Plex and Nextcloud on it. TDP for the E3-1225v2 is 77W where the i3 has 65W so don't expect a huge power saving from the downgrade. I also would...
  3. D

Supermicro IPMI - pingable, flashable, HTTP/HTTPS not accessible

Have you done an full IPMI reset already?
  4. D

Supermicro, Inter-tech/Norco or something else?

I have an Intertech 2404S for my TrueNAS server. Main reason is i wanted 4 hot swap slots for storage HDD's and 2 internal SSD's for the OS but i also had a limitation in depth so a regular 1U or 2U server enclosure just wasn't possible. I am very happy with it.
  5. D

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

So pfSense flawlessly upgraded to plus 23.01 and booted once again perfect. I am almost there. Just need to load the config of my main router but for that, i need it to be connected directly to the modem, otherwise i will create a conflict with my existing router LAN IP's. May take some time to...
  6. D

Possible to have 256G RAM in supermicro X10SDV mother board?

The D-1587 appears to be only supporting 128Gb so i believe you will find that is the limitation.
  7. D

d-link wifi routers are crap, please help me choose access point

i run pfSense on a supermicro X9SCL+-F with an E3-1220 and 16Gb RAM combined with a Cisco SG350 POE+ switch powering 3 Cisco WAP571 AP's and one WAP571E outside. All the stuff i bought 2nd hand and i am superhappy with the setup. I have an additional VLAN configured for guest access with...
  8. D

Well, your tip was golden. Switch on UEFI, secure boot off and did a new UFS UEFI-mode install with GPT and it booted straight away. All working well, i350 fully recognized and working as it should. I only did an original config using the wizard. Speeds are as expected around 900mbps down and...
  9. D

I will have a go at it tomorrow. I will change the boot options as per your recommendations and perform yet another fresh pfsense install.
  10. D

I haven't had time to dig into it yet. First thing i am going to do is to remove the riser and the i350-T4 and see if it boots. Another thing i am planning to do is install OPNsense just to see if that boots. Not planning to switch over in any case as tried both already and like pfSense better...
  11. D

Well, installed Win11 before that flawless. the pfSense installer on a USB stick boots perfectly fine. I just need to figure out why the installation itself doesn't boot. I do see the SSD in my boot menu. I haven't exhausted all options but still, this is quite odd as i have installed pfSense on...
  12. D

Found an article on reddit where there is a specific installation mode in pfSense: ZFS/stripping/GPT+Lenovo fix. Did that too and set boot to CSM/Legacy only, now the error is gone but after a couple of cursor blinks in the top/left corner, the cursor vanishes and nothing else happens. Very odd...
  13. D

Did that, wiped all partitions, formatted the NVme to FAT32, reinstalled pfSense but it doesn't want to boot. I get error 1962, no operating system installed.
  14. D

I have the opposite issue. I had Windows 11 installed and now i want to repurpose it for pfSense and i can go through the complete installation successfully but it will not boot pfsense. Instead, i still get a windows screen stating my PC needs to be repaired despite the fact that i wiped the...
  15. D

I am looking to procure an m920q and convert it into a pfsense router using the i350-T4 and the pcie riser and network bracket. The classic approach so to say as a backup to my current pfSense router so i can load the config and just exchange whenever needed. Did i read it correctly that you can...
  16. D

Modern X10SDV-2C-7TP4F replacement?

How about X10SDV-6C-TLN4F?
  17. D

having problems getting java to run with ipmi login

This is not your problem. I had the same. You need to edit your Java.security file. Do THIS and it will work.
  18. D

Pfsense(or Opnsense) on a Cisco ASA-5512-X

I recently acquired an Ironport C170 for cheap (30 USD). i read a couple of threads and made my own VGA cable using the connector of an FDD flatcable and a chopped off VGA cable using the pin configuration layout i found online. Worked like a charm. Installed a 100Gb SSD in one of the bays and...
  19. D

to NAS or not to NAS

I did something similar last year. Main reason was that i found out my Supermicro X8SIL-F X3430 with HBA and a Dell MD1000 carrying 15 SAS 2TB disks was consuming way too much power on a daily basis for home use. Especially the MD1000 with redundant PSU's which was incredibily loud because it...
  20. D

Back to the drawing board...Router & AP(s) for Home Network

I have 4 packages installed: - ACME certs as i use a FQDN for access to my Nextcloud - HAProxy to manage the connectivity to the Nextcloud server - apcupsd to monitor my UPS from within fpsense - pfblockerNG-devel as additional threat monitor and blocker All of that together i have absolutely...