Search results

1. C

Need help choosing a Router for this large but simple network

I like Cisco small business switches running L3 for home. I also run 3 Cisco 150ax wireless APs. This feeds a pfsense router running a low watt i3.
  2. C

Building & Wiring New House

I am using pfsense on a low wattage Dell small form factor with a 35 watt cpu, i3-6100T. I think the high clocking rate is key to pfsense. I am running a Cisco small business L3 switch with POE+ and 3 Cisco 150ax APs. It runs well. I added an AP to my wife's sewing room because she spends...
  3. C

Low power switch

Cisco makes several small business switches they are fairly quiet and low power draw. Take your pick.
  4. C

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

I am not using a transit setup right now. I have in the past. I assign a static IP to pfsense on LAN side with a gateway IP defined on pfsense using the IP on the L3 gateway for the network that connects to a port on my layer 3 switch's DHCP VLAN. No VLANs are defined on pfsense. The L3...
  5. C

5Gbps Routing - home internet

I wish I had your problem. AT&T is close to me, only a few blocks away. Still waiting. I use a Dell Optiplex i3-4130T PC, cost $75 used. I use a Broadcom 2 port 10 gig NIC off eBay. Pfsense has drivers for it using 23.01. TDP is 35 watts. I can run it for years before I could pay for $500...
  6. C

It works either way. You just have to be aware of the routing. I may change it. I think it is easier to install. I have upgraded to 23.05. I don't think it makes any difference in using DHCP on the L3 switch. I use my Cisco L3 switch with DHCP for all the VLANs. I use a static for pfsense...
  7. C

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

I run wpa2/wpa3 on my Cisco 150ax APs. The hand off is not as smooth as my old Cisco WAP581 APs. But my Cisco 150ax APs are snappier using Windows 11 wireless over Windows 10. And all my Apple devices work fine using ax. I don't have anything older than an iPhone 12. We have iPhones, iPad...
  8. C

I am installing Cisco CBW150ax wireless APs. I putting one in all heavy use rooms so the signal does not need to pass through any walls. They are so cheap you can buy a bunch of them. I paid $102 each for my Cisco CBW150ax wireless units. I think you end with higher speed coverage having an...
  9. C

So, I installed pfsense 23.01 with my Cisco L3 switch. I wanted to try 23.01 with my 10 gig Broadcom NIC as FreeBSD14 has drivers. It took less than an hour to set it up. I am doing asymmetrical routing right now. No transient network. I may change that latter.
  10. C

If you use a trunk to pfsense then you are not doing layer 3 on your switch. Pfsense is doing the layer 3 and your switch is doing layer 2.
  11. C

New Cisco Small Business WiFi6 AP

I don't think it takes 10 minutes to reboot maybe 3 minutes, but I live in the city and our power does not go out often. Oh, I think this is a security feature. I assume they are downloading code from the internet so it can't be permanently hacked. I have never run a Ruckus wireless unit, so I...
  12. C

i have been running these for a little while and they seem good no complaints. I may add one more AP when I have some time after the holidays. I have an old home large rectangle home 3200+ sq ft for a total of 3 APs. And yes, I run VLANs using a small Cisco SG350-10P layer 3 switch. I have 2...
  13. C

Just create a VLAN and call it guest. It will give you more control in the end. You can lockout the new VLAN to where it does not have access to the rest of the network unless you want to share a printer or something. More control.
  14. C

I just ordered a couple for my home network. Not here yet. I only paid $105 each from Provantage. It sounds like a deal for all the features.
  15. C

Airport extreme showing its age, Looking at replacement

I just ordered a couple of Cisco 150ax wireless APs for my home network. They are only $105 each. They are very easy to setup and you can create 1 virtual AP as the controller is built-in. And free firmware updates for the life of the product. Maximum number of associated wireless clients...
  16. C

I am not worrying about it right now as I don't have any clients. At some point I will upgrade my wireless. I have a couple of Cisco 2.5 gigabit ethernet wireless APs but not 6GHz. I still don't have a 2.5 gigabit switch. I run L3 switching and the Cisco is still a little pricey for home use.
  17. C

One Ruckus R600 restarts occasionally

I would try a different power feed or swap units and see if it still happens.
  18. C

The routing statement that feeds the pfsense is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 If the other routes are not picked up then it will use this default route to pfsense.
  19. C

There is a difference between having wireless and having high speed wireless. An easy test is to turn off your 2.4 GHz wireless and see how well your wireless works now. I have done this. I ran my house 3200+ sqft in the past using only 5 GHz only in the past before 6 GHz. It takes a lot...
  20. C

If you don't know what single point setup is on the Cisco small business wireless APs are then I am not sure you had the multiple APs setup well. Single point setup is how you create one virtual AP with all the wireless APs so they can all act as 1 big AP.