Search results

1. B

Hard Drive Selection for 100TB Array

So it's finally time to expand my storage! This will be used for back-ups and media playback. Here are my FreeNAS (11.1) specs: Processor(s) (2) Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.6 GHz Motherboard Supermicro X9DR7-LNF4-JBOD Memory 256 GB Samsung ECC Registered DDR3 @ 1600 MHz Chassis Supermicro...
  2. B

briandm81's Spring Cleaning Thread

I have a variety of items I need to clear out. I'll update the list as I get other stuff ready to sell. For Sale: Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ Dual LGA2011 1.10 (can be RMA'ed to support V2 processors) 2x E5-2670 SR0KX Processors 2x Heatsinks $400 Shipped Intel RES2SV240 SAS2 Expander Basically...
  3. B

FS: Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ Rev 1.1 w/ 2x 2670v1 and H/S

Like the title says. You get all of the following: Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ Dual LGA2011 1.10 (can be RMA'ed to support V2 processors) 2x E5-2670 SR0KX Processors 2x Heatsinks I'll get some pics up soon. Asking $400 + actual shipping costs.
  4. B

WTB: 16GB DDR3 Registered ECC Dimms

Looking for 8x @ 1600mhz to go into a Supermicro 602 board. I'd the price as close to $40 per stick as possible. Thanks!
  5. B

Physical vs. Virtual Disk IO Performance Questions

I'm in the process of benchmarking an OLAP database and I've run into some interesting results. I have some theories, but I'd love to hear from someone that actually knows what on earth is going on. So I've put together my benchmark server. This server does nothing but switch back and fourth...
  6. B

SC846/847 Handle Replacement

I'm finally getting around to replacing my beat up handle on my 847. Anyone have good instructions? It looks like I may need to disassemble the entire front if the case to install the new one. The ribbon cable from the handle to the breakout board is impossible to snake through... thoughts?
  7. B

Summer Is Coming...and its getting hot

So I finished (for the most part) my garage data center. Under normal conditions (up to say outside temps of up to 90 degrees), things in the DC stay at or below 90 degrees. I'm not a fan of that temp, but the equipement doesn't seem to mind it. But we are looking at mid to upper 90's later...
  8. B

How do you all monitor temperature and humidity?

While I move everything to my new garage data center, it occurs to me that I won't see/hear my servers very often. So if the heat starts going off the charts, I won't have any idea... So what do you all use to monitor your temperature and humidity? I'm considering this option: Amazon.com: La...
  9. B

Where is your switch?

I'm in the process of building my garage data center for my home lab. This means I finally get to reorganize my rack as I move everything out of the office and into said data center. So...where do you guys put your switches? Top? Bottom? Front? Back? I'm thinking of relocating mine from...
  10. B

Project GDC (Garage Data Center)

I've had my lab up and running for about 4 years now and it has continued to expand over time. I have kept it in my office so I've always kept things as quiet as possible. As I continue to expand I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop worrying about the noise. But I still need my...
  11. B

Home Lab Backup Strategy

First, a little background. I have a three-server ESXi cluster with a fourth dedicated FreeNAS server. Here are the specs: The Lab - Hyperion EPM My current backup is all contained inside of Hyperion ESXi1. This box has a VM with Veeam Backup and Recovery installed and backs up to a mapped...
  12. B

WTB: 3TB or larger drives

Looking for 12 or so drives for a new FreeNAS pool. Trying to spend less than $1000.
  13. B

VSAN for My Lab

So I'm in the process of continuing my lab build-out. I have four systems in my lab right now. I have a dedicated FreeNAS box along with three ESXi boxes. Details here: The Lab - Hyperion EPM I'm going to upgrade my original ESXi box to match the same version as the others. I'm also...
  14. B

WTB: External 4U JBOD

I have my main FreeNAS box with the 846TQ backplane that I'd like to save for SSD's. Also should keep the heat down putting all of the spinning rust in a separate box. So I'm looking for a 24, 36, or 45 Bay JBOD box with SAS2 expanders. I want to populate the box with 8TB drives over time...
  15. B

FreeNAS Install Fail?

So I've got my system already stripped down to just the CPU, Memory, and the USB thumb drives for installation. When I boot from the FreeNAS ISO, it brings up the loader just fine and then the install screen pops up...but then this happens: The device in question appears to be the thumb...
  16. B

Memtest86+ Odd Behavior

I'm in the process of burning in my FreeNAS box. I'm getting what seems like odd behavior. The first pass ran great and took somewhere around 24 hours. I shutdown after that and did 24 hours of cpustress. That went fine so I shutdown and went back to memtest86+. This time I ran another pass...
  17. B

Is this behavior normal on an SC846?

So I'm finally getting around to putting my FreeNAS build together. When I plug in the power supply...it turns fully on. Fans go into high gear and then calm back down a bit. Still super loud. I'll fix the loud part with a power supply swap. But...is it normal for power supply to spin up...
  18. B

WTB: Supermicro Narrow Connector Power Supply

I just purchased a846E1-R900B to go with my 846E16-R1200B. I guess I've been spoiled by the R1200B as it is much, much quieter. The power supply on the R900B is pretty awful. So, I need a new one that sports the narrow connector. I don't need a SQ or anything, but I do need something quieter...
  19. B

The Oracle has Landed

I've had a small Norco rack for a while to keep my servers in. It's worked pretty well for the most part, but as you can see, it is pretty full: You can probably also see that it is very dusty. Now that I've decided to finally build my FreeNAS box, I have no place in the rack to put it. As...
  20. B

6TB HGST NAS Drives for $199 "New"

GoHardDrive has the 6TB drives for $199. They call them new and with OEM Factory warranty. Considering 10 of these or 10 of the Toshiba 5TB. Both have warranty...the HGST models are for NAS. Decisions descisions. HGST Deskstar NAS HDN726060ALE610 6TB 128MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5''...