Search results

1. B

W10: Storage Space Problem after Windows Update

Hi Oneplane... I liked your NAS plug... he he... I have two QNAPs here - cant remember the models one 8 drive and one 16 drive chassis... I have had a play with ZFS... cant remember why I diverted back to Windows to be honest!. This box I am working on is my Plex server (two 8 drive storage...
  2. B

Just FYI as I progress.. Back trying Windows 10 1703 and 1803 - all 8 drives were shown in Device Manager, however Disk Management does not see any of the 8 drives NOR a Storage Space volume.... this is the same in 1709 too - is that a clue towards the REFS version...? Pop Quiz - Do you think...
  3. B

Thank you oneplane and brokenwindupdoll for your thoughts. The linux route sounds like a possibility although my linux skills are limited... but not zero. What I had hoped for, was to revert to earlier windows/server versions to see what we see...given it was a windows update to 20h2 that...
  4. B

Small update... Installed the following... with no luck yet...all default installs no windows updates. Windows Server 2012R2 Windows Server 2016 Currently trying Windows 10 1703, with no result... infact a weird result - all 8 drives are shown in Device Manager, however Disk Management does...
  5. B

Thanks both for your replies. CyklonDX - great link - and one that I had not found... Both - I think the REFS version will be the root cause. The failed (RAW) volume is the old one - created yonks ago... so will be an early REFS version. I have reinstalled Win10 with all updates on a fresh...
  6. B

Hi Firstly, I appreciate this is a server focussed section on the forum, but could not find a more appropriate place to post. I have a Windows 10 box which has been offline for 6-8 months. It has two large storage spaces, both span 8 spindles and are formatted as REFS. No drives or space...
  7. B

Power Connector for chassis to chassis?

Hi - I will try, but its all in a rack with limited rear access. Like you, the main unit power supply is more than man enough to supply all the entities. In the main case, which has a Corsair modular supply, I soldered some 2.5mm three core mains cable (UK spec) to a Corsair modular cable (to...
  8. B

SAS2 expanders $60 (IBM, LSI chip, Intel alternative)

UPDATE: Fixed it - stupidly, when I transferred the firmware over to the Ubuntu box (FTP), I did not set binary mode - did so, and all ok! ********************************************* Hi Guys No point in letting a good thread die, now is there!??! Trying to flash one of these expanders and...
  9. B

What to do when Drive UniqueID is not unique?

Guys Weird one... looking to add two SSDs to a storage space as tier, and can't as only one SSD can be seen in primordial. Turns out the UniqueID is identical for both SSDs, thus it sees one only (one with lower serial number). I have moved the SSDs to another controller and the UniqueIDs are...
  10. B

Storage Space - lost virtual disk

Hi - yes, did try admin centre but got fed up with it as you must keep it updated else it times out... pain in the butt when you just want to nip in for a quick tweek. Other than that - its a good tool - saves using powershell for some more complex setups. What was the biggest disappointment...
  11. B

Hi - I did try moving all spindles over to another box that had Windows 10 running physically - and it showed me the same error state. Given that the "host" was Server2019 all patched up and the Windows 10 box was latest too, I had high hopes... Did not think to try your approach but kinda...
  12. B

All media - so not worried at write speeds.... will certainly look at snapraid as I really like the idea of the drives being native to the OS....and backup to disk is a costly game.
  13. B

Hi Guys - sorry for the late reply. With current worldly events things have been slow here, but I thought i would report back. I ended up (yes, yes... wrong decision!) using a three pin mains connector - that is "keyed" so it can only be connected one way, ensuing the 5 and 12 cannot be...
  14. B

Guys Odd ball request here, but if anyone has done it before, someone here will have! I am looking to move my SSDs from a 20bay 3.5" hot plug server case into a separate 10 bay 2.5" case - BUT power it from the big case - thus need to carry over 12 and 5V into the new 2.5" case. Logic here...
  15. B

Thanks Escosse (Are you from, or in Scotland? I am beside Edinburgh..l) Logs show no errors... the only clue if you like is that the drives were stuck at "Starting, OK" - and never appear as started. Sero errors of any sort - just no storage space, and you cant get a sniff of the virtual disk...
  16. B

Well, after many hours, I am looking at zapping the drives and going for a restore.... I hate giving up - I would have much preferred to learn from the experience! Bottom line is, the drives are sitting as "Starting, OK" as operational status, and that is what I believe is preventing them...
  17. B

Hi, and thanks for the reply. Repair-SpacesConfiguration - weirdly, this gives the error below: I am surprised by this - running on an update to date Server2019 DC instance. I cannot figure out why its offline as all drives are there - with the only noted (above) detail of six drives stating...
  18. B

I think I have spotted something that may be of help... the drive I tried to remove, is showing in get-physicaldisk as "CanPool True" and the othe r six spindles are all sitting with OperationalStatus as "Starting, OK" - any thoughts?
  19. B

Hi.... I tried ReclaiMe (no license purchase) - just to see what it sees on the drives... and it shows two virtual disks - both named with the disk volume I was expecting. The first one says damaged-repairable but the second is healthy and intact. Shame the tool wont fix it in place - looks...
  20. B

Guys If you have any ideas, it would be very much appreciated... bear with me.... Been running a 2012R2 storage space pool of six 3TB drives for years - no issues. The server OS was upgraded to server2019 around a year ago, and the storage space was not upgraded at the time of the OS upgrade...