Search results

1. weust

Mellanox ConnectX-2 1Gbit SFP support

I was looking at the Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards because they are PCI-E 2.0 because my SuperMicro C2758F server doesn't support 2.1 cards. It really messed up the system. No SATA drives found anymore, stuff like that. Trying my luck with the Intel X520 failed, can't get them to accept 1Gbit SFP...
  2. weust

WTB Dell VTG23 iDrac 8 mounting bracket

I am looking for the plastic mounting bracket used with the Dell VTG23. VTG23 is the iDRAC 8 module used in, amongst others, the R230. Without it the iDRAC 8 module is very insecure in the server, so I would like to fix that. Hopefully someone can help me out. I am in The Netherlands, but...
  3. weust

Dell R230 fan amount

I have two Dell R230's. One I bought myself through a previous job I worked at, and it running great. The other has a faulty PSU, got it through the same previous job. The fine one has a HBA330 controller in the full height slot, hot plug backplane and 4 fans. The faulty one has a PERC 730 in...
  4. weust

Dell BOSS-S1 and non-Dell SSD/NVME drives

I was able to get an old R730xd from work and have the idea to add one or more BOSS-S1 card in. But I can't find whether they will accept non-DELL branded SSD/NVME drives. Anyone happen to know if that will work?
  5. weust

Are lead gel batteries alright?

I have a APC Smart UPS 1500 here at home of which the batteries need replacement before I can finally use it after sitting in the room for 2 years now. But upon looking up the correct Voltage and capacity, I noticed there is also a lead gel type these days. The batteries I have now are lead...
  6. weust

Ubiquiti 1G SFP in Intel i350 SFP NIC

I got my HP T620 Plus and added a Intel i350 dual port SFP card I found on ebay, from Chine. The card and ports are detected by the OS, so that part seems to work. I got this NIC because I have FTTH and right now the fiber comes in on a optic in my Ubiquiti switch from which it continuous on a...
  7. weust

View larger pictures in articles on the same page, instead of two links further

Something that really bugs me is when I click a picture/photo in an article it will open another page with the same sized picture, which I need to click again to get a (possibly) larger one. Oddly enough, the last article on the Micron 5100 Pro 480GB drive, I noticed that the very first photo...
  8. weust

STH Forum Mail notification: Change "View this thread" link text to blue

The notification mail for new posts shows two links near the bottom. One to visit the Watched threads, in blue, and a "View this thread" in dark grey. I use Windows Mail, because it's simple, and the Windows 10 dark theme. This means the link text is almost non-visible. Suggestion: Make is the...
  9. weust

Flash Intel X520-DA2 to Dell X520-DA2

I have a Intel X520-DA2 laying around and a Dell R230. Fan speeds in the server can be a bit funky with non-Dell branded hardware, and even though it's doing fine with the fan speed settings I have, I thought having a actual Dell branded NIC would be nice to have. Simply downloading the latest...
  10. weust

Mellanox ConnectX-3 ejectable

I bought a few Mellanox ConnectX-3 recently and really like them. Two are in my FreeBSD server and one in my Windows 10 desktop. The one in my desktop is a bit odd, or Windows is screwing with me. In device manager nothing shows off, but for some reason it shows under the "Safely Remove...
  11. weust

Cisco switch. PC not getting DHCP lease on 10G port

I have a Cisco ws-c3560cx-8xpd-s switch which has 6 1GbE ports, 2 Multi-Gig ports and 2 SFP+ ports. On the second Multi-Gig ports I connected my desktop using a Mellanox ConnectX-3 with a SFP-RJ45 module. The desktop is running Windows 10, but can't get a DHCP lease. Setting is manually works...
  12. weust

Does SFP+ 10G RJ45 work in a NIC?

I keep reading about SFP+ 10G RJ45 transceivers not working in a NIC because of power usage, where SFP+ is much lower then RJ45. But, that information is some years old and looking at the Optcore Mellanox transceiver the description mentions it should work. So, will it work? Situation: Switch...
  13. weust

Supermicro X11SSi-LN4F shows PCI-E 2.0 SSD as SATA 3

Today I added my unused Kingston HyperX Predator PCI-E 2.0 240GB SSD to my Supermicro X11SSi-LN4F using it's onboard M.2 slot. Upon boot it shows the following message: Booting the OS (FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE) shows the drive as: Doing a bit of searching it shows that the message on the...
  14. weust

EU Not for sale anymore. Cisco WS-C3560CX-8XPD-S

Decided to keep it and use it anyway.
  15. weust

Does a M.2 PCI-E 2.0 x4 work in a M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 slot?

As stated in the subject, does a M.2 PCI-E 2.0 x4 work in a M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 slot? I have a Kingston HyperX Predator SSD M.2 + HHHL PCIe adapter 240GB laying around which I don't really use anymore, and was wondering if I could use it in a PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 Slot. Maybe use it as a SLOG with ZFS...
  16. weust

Kodi stutter using storage VM

The Subject maybe a bit weird, so let me explain the situation in detail. I have a Synology DS415play NAS which hold my MKV files (Pretty much everything is remuxed Blu-rays in my own collection). Using a Raspberry Pi 3+ with LibreELEC and SMB shares everything runs great, even the 40 to...
  17. weust

FreeBSD ZFS NFS share issues

I have some issues with NFS sharing/permissions I hope somehow has a solution too. Been searching all over the internet, but good information is very hard to find. All bits and pieces, and old or plain useless. I've set up FreeBSD (actually HardenedBSD) as a ZFS server. Home use, only user, so...
  18. weust

Home ZFS setup: Ideas on RAIDZ configuration

I'm looking into running a ZFS NAS and because it's the first time for me, I'm reading up a lot on how everything works. Initially I thought RAIDZ1/2/3 would do something magically but still let me use all the capacity of the drives. Already wondered how the hell this would work, and indeed it...
  19. weust

Disk or HBA passthrough

I've asked this question in Windows Server/Hyper-V part too, but perhaps it's better to place it here. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/disk-passthrough-the-same-as-hba-passthrough.19386/ I am wondering if ZFS wants direct disk access or HBA access. If I understand it...
  20. weust

Disk passthrough the same as HBA passthrough?

I was thinking about HBA passthrough the way ESXi does it, and HDD passthrough the way Hyper-V does it. With something like ZFS (FreeBSD, FreeNAS, NAS4Free) what would be more sense? HBA or HDD passthrough, or doesn't it matter as long as ZFS has direct connection to the HDD? Not sure where I...