Search results

1. S

Repurposing SFF C236 workstation

So I have an old Dell Precision T3420 SFF workstation that I'm retiring from film vfx work, but I do have some nostalgia for it. Back in the day it ran pretty well for 2k projects with 64 gigs RAM and Linux. I was surprised, considering it's a very underpowered system. It has 20 PCIe lanes and I...
  2. S

Dell T7910 Liquid Cooling Heatsink and thermal paste

I've had this sitting around for a while and I haven't installed it. Here's Dell's installation video: https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/videos/videoplayer/precision-tower-7910-installation-instructions-liquid-cooling-kit/6079816990001 Notice they clean the thermal paste off when they...
  3. S

Advice: SAS3 enclosure with expander

I'm looking at getting a SAS3 enclosure with expander to run off a Linux render/file server with a built-in SAS3 controller flashed to IT mode, linked with a single 8644 cable. The application is mainly film post production, so 2k-4k image sequences that are ~5-40MB/frame. This would be for near...
  4. S

Quad port PCIe 3.0 x16 SFF-8643 adapter for 4x internal U.2 drives

I've been looking at high capacity NVMe options for a few months and it did not occur to me before to look at U.2, but the price is pretty favorable vs using more consumer-level M.2 sticks once I get into the 4+TB capacity range. And to be honest I will really be thrashing it, so the...
  5. S

Quad NVMe card with Supermicro X10Dai

Hey all, not exactly a DIY workstation question but I'm looking at maybe getting a Supermicro 7038A-i dual Xeon with the X10Dai motherboard as an additional machine to a Dell T7910. They're similar motherboards, but the X10Dai doesn't have the additional x16 slots on the right. One of the great...
  6. S

12G SAS SSD boot drive and NVMe data volume

I'm thinking about getting a few cheap Dell rack nodes and filling them with M.2 NVMe drives via PCIe slots ideally for some form of clustered storage. Due to a lack of slots for an NVMe boot drive (CentOS 7), I'm considering using a 12G SAS SSD instead - probably a HGST Ultrastar SSD1600MR. If...
  7. S

Slow Raid 10 on Dell T7910 internal SAS 3008

Has anyone seen this issue? I'm getting read speeds slower than a single disk. I'm using 7200rpm SAS drives. I'm benchmarking read speeds with dd and hdparm on CentOS 7.8. Raid 0 and single drive performance is fine. Raid 10 ~130-160 MB/s Raid 0 ~780 MB/s Single drive ~200 MB/s In this case...
  8. S

Spanning on Dell T7910 SAS controller (CentOS 7)

I just bought a Dell T7910 and I'm thinking about setting up a scratch work space by adding four SATA drives internally to the integrated LSI SAS 3008 controller on the motherboard. Right now I'm thinking I don't want to use any RAID modes on the controller and instead probably go with a...