Search results

1. Cipher

48 Port Switch Recommendations?

I've been running a simple unmanaged 24 port switch in my home network for a while now, but given all the ports are used, and I have more to add, I'm now looking at upgrading to 48 ports. Here are some of the features I'm aiming for: 1) 48 x 1 Gigabit ports (either 1 x 48 port switch or 2 x 24...
  2. Cipher

CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 & IPMI

I'm attempting to update one of my JBOD chassis by upgrading from a Supermicro CB2 to CB3 power board so I can better control the fans in this chassis. After connecting an Ethernet cable from my switch to the CB3 I saw the IP Address assigned via DHCP by my router (Amplifi HD) and I then used...
  3. Cipher

Supermicro Mobo - Missing CPU Heat Sink Connectors?

Hello, I have a previous generation Supermicro SuperWorkstation (7037A-iL) and I just noticed that the area you would screw the CPU heatsink into contains just 4 holes on the motherboard for each CPU. Does anyone know if I need to first buy something to fit in those holes so I can attach my...
  4. Cipher

Supermicro 847 with PWS-920P-SQ?

I currently have a Supermicro 846 chassis with PWS-920P-SQ power supplies and I am use to the low noise floor using these PSU's. I was thinking of moving to a Supermicro 847 chassis and was wondering if I could use the same PWS-920P-SQ power supplies? I only plan on using 14-16 hard drives...
  5. Cipher

Server2019 - Automatic Balancing of Ethernet?

In the past week I upgraded my Windows home server from 2016 to 2019. My server contains two i350 NICS (one onboard my Supermicro X9 motherboard and a separate one installed in PCI slot) for a total of 8 ethernet ports. Currently, six of these ports (3 on each NIC) are connected via Cat6...
  6. Cipher

Help with Direct Connect on MCX354A cards

I have two boxes running Windows Server 2019. Both servers have the same Mellanox MCX354A-FCBT ConnectX-3 card which have been updated to the latest firmware (2.42.5000) and latest driver (5.50.51000). At this point, I'd like to directly connect these cards (ie no switch) so I can use the...
  7. Cipher

FS - Gnodal GS4008 Switch (40 Port SFP 10Gbe and 8 Port QSFP 40Gbe)

I've finally come to my senses and realized I'm never going to get around to using this switch in my home lab. I only have a couple of Supermicro chassis along with a laptop in my office so this sexy beast is going to have to find a new home rather than sitting unused in my rack. If you're...
  8. Cipher

Drive Letters on Windows Server 2016

Hi Guys, I've got a single Windows 2016 server that contains the following drives: 1) 1x 200GB Intel SATA SSD Drive (in SC216 chassis) -This is the OS Drive 2) 12x 400GB WD SAS SSD Drives (in SC216 chassis) -Each drive contains one or more Hyper-V VM images 3) 14x 3TB WD SATA Red Drives...
  9. Cipher

FS - Hitachi 400GB SAS SSD (HUSSL4040ASS600)

Hi Guys, Maybe I can bring some Christmas cheer to anyone looking for these Enterprise SSD drives before I put them up on eBay. These are the 400GB SAS SSD Hitachi drives with the great endurance ratings of 35PB (35,000 TB). I picked up 2 from the famous thread posted by Whitey and I recently...
  10. Cipher

Supermicro SC216 Chassis

I'm assembling a Supermicro SC216 chassis with a Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ motherboard and have a couple of questions: 1) The motherboard I'm using has three power input connectors: a single 24-Pin power connector and two 8-Pin power connectors. The Power Distribution Board (PDB) in the SC216...
  11. Cipher

Supermicro Chassis Parts

I currently have the 846 (SC846E16-R1200B) and 216 chassis' from Supremciro, both of which I'm looking for some extra parts and want to make sure I'm not making any ordering mistakes. First, for both of these units I want to order some extra power cables. Searching online with the actual...
  12. Cipher

Supermicro Boot - System Initializing BA

I've been testing my dual CPU Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ board for the past couple of weeks with a single CPU and 16GB Ram (2 x 8 GB). Everything has looked good and today I added the second CPU and it booted fine with no issues. After this, I added another 16GB RAM and now I can't get past the...
  13. Cipher

Flashing Dell H310 for Windows Server 2016

I picked up a Dell H310 for a Supermicro system I'm building (846 chassis with SAS2 expander, X9 Mobo) and before I install this HBA I was planning to flash it as has been described in numerous posts. The main reasons I've seen listed for flashing these cards to IT mode is: -Performance...
  14. Cipher

SM Motherboard - Boot Beep & Missing IPMI

I've building a new server using the Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ motherboard. Whenever I boot the server it emits a loud continuous beep noise. However, I can get into the BIOS, and it reports information on my 2 x E5-2670 CPUs and 32GB of RAM. I was thinking of using IPMI to see if that could...
  15. Cipher

One Server to rule them all

Ok, I've decided to consolidate my three current systems (Server, Workstation "Server", Synology 8-Bay NAS) into a new single server. This system will be responsible for the following primary tasks: -Hyper-V Host - for Hyper-V development VM's -Docker Container Server -Media Server using Plesk...
  16. Cipher

WD RED Drives - RMA?

Hi Guys, I have an eight bay Synology NAS that I've been using with eight 3TB WD RED drives for two and a half years. Over the past two months, I've had my NAS report three of the drives as crashed due to bad sectors. I'm currently testing these three "bad" drives with Hard Disk Sentinel in...
  17. Cipher

My first rack, HP 10642

Hey Guys, I've just bought my first ever rack (HP 10642 G2) and was looking for some advice on what other equipment I'll need and how to best arrange my equipment in the rack. This is what I'm planning on storing in the rack: -Supermicro Chassis with rails - SC836E26-R1200B (3U) -Supermicro...
  18. Cipher

Recommend Xeon 2400 V2

I'm looking for a bit of guidance choosing dual Intel Xeon 2400 V2 CPU's for a new system I recently purchased. My previous system had dual Xeon X5650 cpu's. Therefore, for the dual 2400's, I'd like equal or better performance compared to my X5650's as well as lower power consumption...
  19. Cipher

Connecting a JBOD Chassis

Hi Guys, I purchased a Supermicro SC836E26-R1200B 3U chassis last December and I'm finally getting around to adding this to my network (work and a toddler!). Thanks to a post by fellow member Aestr and a google search that lead me to two great STH articles (Part 1 & Part 2), I'd like to...
  20. Cipher

Recommended SFP+ Cables

I recently purchased a Gnodal GS4008 switch thanks to this thread. It's the first time I've ever owned a product with SFP+ or QFSP connectors so I've been trying to get up to speed on these connectors and their related cables. I found some Gnodal QSFP cables (passive 3 meter) on eBay so I know...