Search results

1. Cipher

48 Port Switch Recommendations?

Yea, that was one of the ones I came across and added in my list as quiet is a big requirement for all my equipment. You have any experience with this one?
  2. Cipher

Sean, are these all pretty equivalent or would you recommend one over the others? Also, some of these seem a bit older, I'm assuming I wouldn't be missing much compared to newer switches outside of maybe slightly faster CPU, updated security patches, better management UI?
  3. Cipher

I've been running a simple unmanaged 24 port switch in my home network for a while now, but given all the ports are used, and I have more to add, I'm now looking at upgrading to 48 ports. Here are some of the features I'm aiming for: 1) 48 x 1 Gigabit ports (either 1 x 48 port switch or 2 x 24...
  4. Cipher

CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 & IPMI

@Stankyjawnz, thanks for the idea to reset it to it's default config/IP as this ended up allowing me to get this working. In case anyone experiences this issue, and comes across this post, this is what I did... Moved Jumper 7 (JP7) from pins 2-3 (which is static/DHCP) to pins 1-2 (which is...
  5. Cipher

CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 & IPMI

I'm attempting to update one of my JBOD chassis by upgrading from a Supermicro CB2 to CB3 power board so I can better control the fans in this chassis. After connecting an Ethernet cable from my switch to the CB3 I saw the IP Address assigned via DHCP by my router (Amplifi HD) and I then used...
  6. Cipher

Dell Optiplex 3000 Thin Client

Yes, it's passively cooled and completely silent. I picked one up from the following thread... https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/dell-optiplex-3000-thin-client-pentium-r-silver-n6005-qc-8gb-ddr4-256gb-200-shipped.38406/ I installed Windows 11 on mine, added another 8GB stick...
  7. Cipher

Supermicro Mobo - Missing CPU Heat Sink Connectors?

Hello, I have a previous generation Supermicro SuperWorkstation (7037A-iL) and I just noticed that the area you would screw the CPU heatsink into contains just 4 holes on the motherboard for each CPU. Does anyone know if I need to first buy something to fit in those holes so I can attach my...
  8. Cipher

HUSMR1616ASS200 HGST 1.6TB SAS 12Gbps

Thanks, awedio. Sounds like a bulk discount was applied.
  9. Cipher

HUSMR1616ASS200 HGST 1.6TB SAS 12Gbps

I tried 2 x $160 and they came back 2 x $195 I then tried 2 x $170 and they came back 2 x $190 I just tried 1 x $170 and I'm waiting for a reply How many did you buy, awedio?
  10. Cipher

Supermicro 847 with PWS-920P-SQ?

Thanks for the great info BlueFox. I only use 5200rpm drives (12GB+) from Western Digital and there are no fans at all in my chassis expect on the CPU. The current temps I get for my drives are 32-36 degrees, but that is only when I spread out 10 of them. When one of the drives is directly...
  11. Cipher

Supermicro 847 with PWS-920P-SQ?

I currently have a Supermicro 846 chassis with PWS-920P-SQ power supplies and I am use to the low noise floor using these PSU's. I was thinking of moving to a Supermicro 847 chassis and was wondering if I could use the same PWS-920P-SQ power supplies? I only plan on using 14-16 hard drives...
  12. Cipher

Server2019 - Automatic Balancing of Ethernet?

Thanks everyone. I've done a bit of reading tonight and what I'm seeing on my server coincides with what I've read so far about SMB Multichannel. It looks like I've got to do a bit more research as my initial plan was to just assign some ethernet ports to VMSwitches so the VM's would use...
  13. Cipher

Is this automatically configured in Server2016/Server2019? The reason I'm asking is I literally just installed my server, added the NIC drivers and Hyper-V role and saw this behavior. Also, if it is automatic, is there some way I can force one or more of my ports to only be used for VM...
  14. Cipher

Interesting. I actually haven't done any setup of SMB3 on the server as this was basically a fresh install of Server 2019 along with the latest NIC driver from Intel. No other configuration of the server was performed as it was a very simple install. Also, the second test was run over WiFi...
  15. Cipher

In the past week I upgraded my Windows home server from 2016 to 2019. My server contains two i350 NICS (one onboard my Supermicro X9 motherboard and a separate one installed in PCI slot) for a total of 8 ethernet ports. Currently, six of these ports (3 on each NIC) are connected via Cat6...
  16. Cipher

HPE SAS SSD drives fail @ 32,768 hours

I was wondering the same as my HSSC0400S5xnNMME drives which are from HP, but also show up as HGST in Windows. I read the same 3PAR note so I'm hoping that applies to all drives used in those systems.
  17. Cipher

Help with Direct Connect on MCX354A cards

Thanks, Kapone. Just tested with an extra 40Gb cable I had lying around and it works perfectly.
  18. Cipher

Hi Kapone, I'm not a networking expert so I just wanted to ensure I'm understanding this. Here is my current setup: Server 1 Ethernet Port 1 -IP: 192.168.2.40 -Subnet: 255.255.255.0 -Gateway: 192.168.2.1 Mellanox Port 1 -IP: 192.254.202.59 -Subnet: 255.255.0.0 -Gateway: <BLANK> Server...
  19. Cipher

Thank you, i386. Those answers really help. The one item that is still confusing is #6 as I'm not really sure what you meant. I'd like to use the Mellanox cards whenever I'm transferring files between both servers and then use the 1Gb Ethernet NIC's in both servers for all other networking...