Search results

1. 8

New Server Build

Direct attached would solve that issue for sure. I don't mind having my small gaming PC in the living room. Its unobtrusive in the tiny and subtle Node 202 case, silent since I replaced the CPU fan with a noctua and added GPU compartment fans, and its only on when I need it on so power usage...
  2. 8

New Server Build

Fair enough, and I agree with you there. And I guess my saying "would you want to be using a VM" was more around the networking lag of running the Gaming VM in the closet or basement or whatever and then doing VNC or something to display the output would be laggy even over fast wired networks...
  3. 8

New Server Build

I just picked up a X10DRL-iT with 2x 2620v3s for $300 on ebay. Another $80 for 32GB ECC RAM and I'm in business for under $400. And when the 2620s become a bottleneck I have AMPLE upgrade pathways with more cores and the v4 lineup. Which is a roundabout way of saying this. My current gaming...
  4. 8

"New" Server Build, need pointers/reassurances my migration plan is sound

Hey all. So I've been slumming if for a nearly 5 years with some hand-me-down consumer hardware on my 6-drive FreeNAS server (i5-3450, Asus consumer board, 16gb non-ecc ram) and I've decided now is the time to upgrade. I've had no appreciable issues with my setup, for the most part its been...