Search results

1. S

HP P410 controller failure

Well I took one of the other systems offline this morning and tested the card in it. Either with or without the cache attached the card is not seen at boot at all, and not listed with lspci. I guess I'll toss it in my pile of "questionable" hardware - which unfortunately is quite big.
  2. S

I will probably have a system or two which can have some downtime, but only on Sunday.
  3. S

Interesting behavior. With those 2 pins masked, and the cache module attached, there is no boot message from the card; the system boots normally but the card is not seen at all by the kernel. A lspci does not show it. It's like the card was not even present. The lights on the card blink as...
  4. S

Interesting, worth a try. I happen to have a roll of kapton tape and a razor blade right next to the card, hmm. :)
  5. S

I'm not familiar with the SMBIOS pin issue...
  6. S

lsi raid 1 booting

Wish I could help. My approach to that is: don't boot from raid. I always have a separate drive for boot and OS. Doesn't need to be big.
  7. S

Interesting. A H240 happens to be the card that I normally use in the system I'm testing with, and it works fine without any BIOS tricks. In fact I just looked, I don't have an option in the BIOS to disable card boot ROMs.
  8. S

I'm trying to make this P410 work, but it behaves strangely. I must say I'm not using HP hardware to test it, but rather a Dell motherboard. When I use the card with the cache module and battery attached, it gives me a failure message and doesn't go any further. The boot does not complete...
  9. S

X570 chipset/UEFI BIOS and HBAs

It's possible. I'm not saying that my findings above will apply to any other brand, but if it fails then maybe it can serve as a guide as to what to try. To sum up, so far working but with no access to WebBIOS: LSI 92804i4e (no tricks needed, worked straight away), and M5015 but only after it...
  10. S

MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi: MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI When I have time I should try to flash one of the D2616 cards to 9260 as well and see if that makes it work.
  11. S

another quick update: indeed, a M5015 flashed to 9260-8i works in this motherboard. Again there is no POST message and no access to webBIOS but it does configure normally in MSM. It's interesting that with the IBM firmware the card wouldn't work at all. I used version 12.15 of the LSI firmware...
  12. S

Actually, I have news much sooner than I thought. I went again through my boxes of server parts, and found one card which I had not tried: a LSI 9280-4e4i. I didn't have that much hope for it since it's the same chipset as the M5015, and that one failed... But the 9280 did not block booting...
  13. S

I've ordered a SAS3008 based card (Fujitsu D3307) from China, hopefully this one may work. I'll update here after it comes in a couple of months.
  14. S

Looking for short HBA card (not meaning low or high profile)

Oh, ok. I think otherwise, a H1110 with a SAS expander would work as well, because the expander doesn't need to be inserted in a slot - I use one outside of any case, powered through one of these thingies: It only needs power connected to it.
  15. S

Looking for short HBA card (not meaning low or high profile)

The IBM H1110 is very short, but it only supports 4 drives. On the other hand, it's only using a PCIex4 connector, so if you have 2 of those available you could use 2 cards. Or you could use a SAS expander - which does not necessarily have to go inside the case. Or it can go inside the case...
  16. S

Well, I did more tests. Not promising. Sometimes the exact PCIe slot matters, so I tested all of the cards inserted in the other PCIe slot that I had available. No change in the behavior of either. I then disabled CSM in the BIOS, and left it as pure UEFI. This time, in either of the PCIe slots...
  17. S

I'm wondering if I were to take one of the cards that don't block the booting process but cannot be configured on the X570 (either a M5015 or a 9750), put it in another machine, configure the array there and then move card+array to the X570, whether the array would magically appear to be...
  18. S

I recently built an AMD desktop (Ryzen 5, X570 chipset) and wanted to add a little bit of local bulk storage (aiming for a RAID5 or 6 hardware setup). The BIOS is set to UEFI+CSM for backwards compatibility. I tested many of the HBAs I have, and all of them act weirdly. I should say that all are...
  19. S

3ware/AMCC 9690SE and over 2TB drives: autotrim off, but doesn't see full capacity

that section talks about raid levels and striping, not the autotrim.
  20. S

hello ^^, I need help. can you help me?

Maybe they are encrypted, maybe not. There are many reasons why the webbios doesn't like them. Here's the datasheet for your drives BTW...