Search results

1. mattlach

Anyone Use Mikrotik WAP's (CAP ax) with RouterOS and CAPSMAN, multiple SSID's and VLANS? I'm stuck

...like STUCK stuck. So, I'm not exactly a beginner to the world of networking, switching and VLAN's. Been playing with this stuff successfully since the late 2000's. RouterOS is - however - a different beast. Where most networking products I've used (ProCurve, HP, Aruba, ESXi, Linux...
  2. mattlach

Silencing APC SmartUPS SUA750 and SUA1500 on battery beeps?

Hey everyone, I have a few of these SUA750 and SUA1500 models in my house. Been using them for years and they have been reliable as tanks. We are talking these good old models: Recently I moved and now these units need to be closer to a living area than they used to be, which is resulting...
  3. mattlach

Intermittent 4OGbit Link on Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+

Hi Everyone, Just picked up a new CRS326-24S+2Q+ and I am struggling a little bit. I'm using it as a layer2 switch + VLAN's with no routing, so I opted to boot and use it in SwOS mode. I am using 3M Molex DAC cables to connect the Fortville (Intel XL710-QDA2) NIC's in my servers to the...
  4. mattlach

Does Supermicro X12STL-F Support Rocket Lake / 11th Gen Xeon E3 CPU's?

Does anyone know the answer to the above? All of Supermicro's documentation only mentions 10th generation (Comet Lake) but 11th Generation (Rocket lake) uses the same socket, RAM, chipset (C252/256), etc. and should at least in theory be hardware compatible, provided the firmware supports it...
  5. mattlach

Mikrotik cAP ax experiences?

Hey everyone, Having used Ubiquiti Unifi devices for ~15 years now I have been considering moving on for some time, as I just don't like the direction they have been going for quite a while. When they were new and focused on just AP's I got a great vibe from them, but ever since they expanded...
  6. mattlach

The Skinny on Windows 11 and Linux Samba shares

Hey everyone, So I have been reading about this for some time, but never got around to fixing it. Most of my clients are still on Windows 10 for lack of having any reason to "upgrade" to windows 11, but now I ahve a Windows 11 machine in the house, and am being forced to deal with the issue...
  7. mattlach

Does anyone have Supermicro H12SSL series motherboard experience?

Hey everyone, It's time to upgrade the old home server, and I think I have settled on a 24+ core 3rd gen Epyc (Milan) on one of Supermicro's H12SSL motherboards (I'll probably go with the H12SSL-NT) Just a quick question about these for those with experience: 1.) If I were to buy one new off...
  8. mattlach

ZFS SLOG/ZIL drives in 2023

Hey everyone, Now that Intel's Optane drives have been off the market for long enough that they are getting harder to find reliably, does nayone have any thoughts on what that is out there makes for a good SLOG/Zil drive? I still have two 280GB Optane 900p's mirrored in my storage server, and...
  9. mattlach

2.5Gbit NIC's for Custom Router?

Hey everyone, Now that 2gig internet service is starting to appear in select markets, I am considering jumping on it when it is available, and for that I am going to need to upgrade the old pfSense box (which may move to OPNSense in the process) with a WAN NIC that can handle multigig...
  10. mattlach

Pcie Switching Risers?

Does anyone know if anything like this exists? Back in the day we had adapters like this one: It would allow you to install a half height PCIe card into a 32bit conventional PCI slot. Does anything like this exist but for PCI Switching? The problem is this. I need to install an 8x Gen3...
  11. mattlach

*SOLD* Real Life Stuff For Sale / Trade FS: 12x 10TB 7200rpm Seagate Enterprise (Exos) 10TB Drives ~40k Hours Logged

For sale are the drives listed in the table below. They will come in one fancy box courtesy of Seagate (they actually sent me this box with only one drive in it) Full SMART output and picture of each drive are attached at the bottom. Drive History: 1.) Drives were bought new by me over a...
  12. mattlach

Two APC SmartUPS SMT1500RM2U suddenly no longer accessible via web interface

Has anyone ever seen this problem before? I have two of these SMT1500RM2U UPS:es in my rack I bought used on eBay about 2 years ago. They initially came without network cards, so I ordered a pair of AP9630 "UPS Network Management Card 2" and installed them in the UPS:es. When I set them up...
  13. mattlach

Single Port 25gbe NIC's with 4x PCIe Gen3?

Hey everyone, I'm in a bit of a bind, trying to ghetto-mod some extra network capacity into a mini-ITX system and only have a 4x m.2 slot available to me. I'm considering using a m.2 to 4x PCIe slot riserand creatively mounting it somehow. Ideally I'd want 25gbe bandwidth out of this...
  14. mattlach

What are we using for NVMe cache devices these days?

Hey all, I've been thinking abotu what kinds of SSD's to use for cache devices and other high write environments these days. WAY back I would have had to pay big bucks for a tiny SLC drive for something like this. Can't find those anymore. More recently Samsung's Pro drives were MLC and had...
  15. mattlach

APC UPS Issues (High Float Voltage)

Hi Everyone, There really isn't a subforum for UPS:es and other power solutions, so I decided to post here. I bought a couple of APC SMT1500RM2U units for my rack used on ebay last year. The seller put fresh batteries in them before selling them, and they have gone from 50 minutes of runtimes...
  16. mattlach

Mikrotik SwOS LAG Configuration

Hey all, I recently reached out on the Mikrotik forums here, and unfortunately did not receive any replies. I was hoping maybe someone in here has some experience I can lean on: Hey all, My main switch in my rack is an CRS317-1G-16S+. I also have a CSS326-24G-2S+ in that same rack, for...
  17. mattlach

Integrating Greater than Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 into a 10gig Network?

Hey Everyone. We are potentially moving into an area with greater than gigabit cable modem Internet service. I already have 10gig SFP+ switches and a custom pfSense router build that uses a dual port Intel x520 10gig SFP+ NIC. Are there any good solutions to integrate a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem...
  18. mattlach

FS: Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Backplane with SAS Expander - Used

For sale is a Backplane (with metal bracket) I removed from my Supermicro SC846 chassis. The Backplane has an internal SAS expander and is designed to be connected to your SAS Raid Card (or HBA) with a single 4x SFF-8087 cable. (Can accept adapter cables for SFF-8643 controllers) It is...
  19. mattlach

FS: LSI Logic SAS9305-16i 12Gb/s PCIe 3.0 SAS HBA - used *SOLD*

Alright, Don't shop tired folks. I bought this one by accident, thinking I clicked on a different product. It's in great shape, and works perfectly. I flashed the firmware to P16, so it is at the latest rev. I paid $399. I'll let it go for $375. I'm open to reasonable offers, but I...
  20. mattlach

Older Intel 10GBaseT (82598EB, E10G41AT2) at PCIe Gen 2 x4?

Hey all, I am planning a 10Gig update to a computer I don't have local access to, so I have to get my ducks in a row before I drive out and set things up. I happen to have a few older single port 10GBaseT adapters using Intels 82598EC chipset on E10G41AT2 cards. These cards are PCIe Gen 2...