Search results

1. mattlach

Possible cause found for slower than expected 10gb networking performance.

This varied a little bit from card to card. My really old Intel AT2 10gbit E10G41AT2 adapters had full 10gig downstream but almost unusable upstream. This was in a Gen2 x4 slot, which should have been able to produce 16gbit full duplex, for reference. More modern x520 and x710 adapters I've...
  2. mattlach

Possible cause found for slower than expected 10gb networking performance.

This may be historical at this point, but in the past I have experienced that Intel NIC's expect all PCIe lanes to be present, or they often will behave badly. If it is an 8x card, it will want to be in an 8x (electrical) slot, or it will be unhappy. It doesn't matter if it is a dual port NIC...
  3. mattlach

MEGA 2.5GbE Switch Guide Update with 21 New Models Added

I find it really disturbing that STH is normalizing the use of these garbage spyware brands popping up like weeds out of China. These things are a HUGE security risk. No one should be using them. It doesn't matter how cheap they are, or how expensive the alternatives are. Of the switches in...
  4. mattlach

Horaco 2.5GbE Managed Switch (8 x 2.5GbE + 1 10Gb SFP+)

Can't say I would put any Chinese/noname branded switch on my network. If something isn't designed in Europe (or Japan, Taiwan or South Korea) I'm probably never going to trust it. Of the switches in the guide, I'd trust: - Mikrotik - Netgear - QNap I might be persuaded to trust the following...
  5. mattlach

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Yep, I understand how DC works. I built a custom DC->DC UPS using one of those Mini-BOX DC-DC Open UPS boards, an ammmo box, and a 12v 10AH battery, and the uptime is insane compared to commercially available UPS:es! (~11.5 hours from a single 12v 10AH battery) It should be able to supply...
  6. mattlach

Appreciate all of your input. I think I might be grabbing a couple of R650's. Quick question. Since I have very little experience with anything newer than 802.11ac... I've noticed that the Ruckus R650 has a 2.5Gbit PoE port. Also, I will need to purchase PoE injectors that are compatible...
  7. mattlach

Appreciate the advice. I edited and rephrased my answer a few times, adding more info and questions I didn't think of the first time around. hoping I'd ninja edit it before getting a response, but you were faster :p If I were to go the zone director route (like with a ZD1100 or ZD1200) does...
  8. mattlach

The asymmetrical decentralized nature of it kind of bothers me. That, and I imagine the management features use up memory and CPU cycles on one of the little device that might compromise its overall performance. I also hate all things with dynamic handoffs. I feel like I lose control over...
  9. mattlach

Hmm. Do I have to use the unleashed firmware to manage it directly from the device? or can a mere mortal home user without access to an enterprise purchasing department (or enterprise licensing budget) use a central on premises (I don't want cloud) management server? And what form does that...
  10. mattlach

Does anyone have Supermicro H12SSL series motherboard experience?

Hey. Sorry just saw this. I am very happy with it. It is running a Proxmox install with KVM and LXC as the primary of three nodes in my little mini cluster. Quite frankly, it is overwhelmingly overkill for my applications. I knew I was going a bit overkill, but this was kind of more than...
  11. mattlach

Anyone Use Mikrotik WAP's (CAP ax) with RouterOS and CAPSMAN, multiple SSID's and VLANS? I'm stuck

...like STUCK stuck. So, I'm not exactly a beginner to the world of networking, switching and VLAN's. Been playing with this stuff successfully since the late 2000's. RouterOS is - however - a different beast. Where most networking products I've used (ProCurve, HP, Aruba, ESXi, Linux...
  12. mattlach

Silencing APC SmartUPS SUA750 and SUA1500 on battery beeps?

Like, just desolder them? And that won't cause electrical problems, as they were designed with something in that position that is no longer there? Should they be replaced with a small resistor instead? I don't usually have the fine motor skills necessary to take a soldering iron to a circuit...
  13. mattlach

Silencing APC SmartUPS SUA750 and SUA1500 on battery beeps?

Hey everyone, I have a few of these SUA750 and SUA1500 models in my house. Been using them for years and they have been reliable as tanks. We are talking these good old models: Recently I moved and now these units need to be closer to a living area than they used to be, which is resulting...
  14. mattlach

ZFS SLOG/ZIL drives in 2023

I am really interested in picking up a couple of these RMS devices. Can anyone speak to how long the caps can maintain data in a powered-off state? Also, are we concerned at all about capacitor lifespan? The Radian website says they have refined their "super capacitors" such that they have...
  15. mattlach

ZFS SLOG/ZIL drives in 2023

My understanding is that the Optane 900p and 905p write direct to NAND, so there is no RAM cache to be lost in case of loss of power, and thus no data los. At least per this old TrueNAS forum thread. This seems to suggest it is perfectly fine to use them as SLOG devices.
  16. mattlach

Intermittent 4OGbit Link on Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+

I tried forcing speeds, but there was no 40gbit setting. I could set 10gbit for each constituent QSFP channel but that didn't work. THeir support suggested I try switching back to RouterOS and try forcing the speed there, which may have worked, but I didn't feel like running RouterOS...
  17. mattlach

CRS326-24S+2Q+RM Noise / Fan Replacement(?)

I just got mine a cople of weeks ago. This does indeed appear to be the case. I have one SFP+ module (Mikrotik S+RJ10) which will run hot (50+C) no matter what you are doing, and when it is installed the fans get louder. Everything other module in the switch - even the QSFP+ ones - sit at...
  18. mattlach

So I wound up resolving this by running a short 2M fiber run instead of DAC cables. The generic FS.com 40Gbit SR40 transceiver worked just fine on the Mikrotik end. I had ordered the Mikrotik variant, but they sent the generic instead telling me it was equivalent and compatible, and it worked...
  19. mattlach

Interestingly enough version 2.16 of SwOS was released today, and while I still can't manually select 40G in the drop downs, 10G is now available. (they also added 2.5G in this update, I think.) I wonder if I am supposed to set 10G on each of the constituent QSFP links? Either way, that...
  20. mattlach

And just like that, after hours sitting plugged in without a link, suddenly there is a link :p I guess if I just never reboot the server, everything will be fine :p