Search results

1. J

SUPERMICRO MBD-X12SPO-F-B ATX

If anyone is looking for a single socket Xeon Scalable 3rd gen board, this appears to be much cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I am tempted to move from my Broadwell dual socket board to one of these (especially since I only have used one of the sockets) but I am not limited at this...
  2. J

Home 10Gb Network advice to go with CRS305-1G-4S+IN

I have a small network that I would like to upgrade to 10gbe. I have a freeNAS server running on a super micro x10-drl-i board, a windows workstation and a MacBook Pro. My server is about 3 feet away from my desk so from a cabling standpoint, it should be simple. Current Plan is as follows: -...
  3. J

HGST HC520 512e to 4Kn?

I figure now is going to be the easiest time to do this but am unsure if there are any advantages in my application (FreeNAS on ESXi with a 9300-8i passed through for the drives). Tried going through a couple of whitepapers I found and they were quite dense for my knowledge level but I know...
  4. J

VRM Cooling for a Rackmount Motherboard Transplant

I have an X10DRL-i that I purchased recently on ebay. Love the board, love that it is ATX but it is out of a 1U rackmount server ( 6018R-MT) so it is missing the heatsink on the VRM as shown in this photo circled in red, it does have the one circle in blue. Because I am using a consumer ATX...
  5. J

First Homelab Setup

Build’s Name: Homelab to migrate from Off the shelf NAS and have main machine be strictly for gaming/fun Operating System/ Storage Platform: FreeNAS, (running on ESXi eventually for hardware transcoding on Plex under ubuntu or windows) CPU: 1x 2660v3 (2nd on the way) Motherboard: SuperMicro...