Search results

1. J

SUPERMICRO MBD-X12SPO-F-B ATX

Wow that is super cheap for a 38C CPU like that. From a quick look I see a D1 and D2 stepping after. Curious what changes there are and if they matter to me. That's pretty tempting
  2. J

Yeah they are definitely not cheap, even for the lower core count models.But figured this might be helpful for someone who has access to retired parts at a cheap cost or who needs a newer CPU and can stomach the cost of them. Sadly, a combination of cost and my lack of need prevent me from...
  3. J

If anyone is looking for a single socket Xeon Scalable 3rd gen board, this appears to be much cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I am tempted to move from my Broadwell dual socket board to one of these (especially since I only have used one of the sockets) but I am not limited at this...
  4. J

Home 10Gb Network advice to go with CRS305-1G-4S+IN

I've got solid airflow in my case and there is even a side intake for 140mm fan to blow right onto the add in cards if it comes down to it. I will only be using one port as well I'm sure but I'm planning on buying a two-part card just in case things change. At that point, I will wish that I...
  5. J

Home 10Gb Network advice to go with CRS305-1G-4S+IN

I have a small network that I would like to upgrade to 10gbe. I have a freeNAS server running on a super micro x10-drl-i board, a windows workstation and a MacBook Pro. My server is about 3 feet away from my desk so from a cabling standpoint, it should be simple. Current Plan is as follows: -...
  6. J

HGST HC520 512e to 4Kn?

Awesome!!! Thank you so much. I will be doing this when I get back on Friday from out of town. What disks did you do this on? The gentleman above mentioning the firmware possibly being stored on the platters made me a little nervous haha
  7. J

HGST HC520 512e to 4Kn?

Hopefully someone chimes in, If that's true then obviously I'm not going to bother but figure now before I put them into production is the best time
  8. J

HGST HC520 512e to 4Kn?

I figure now is going to be the easiest time to do this but am unsure if there are any advantages in my application (FreeNAS on ESXi with a 9300-8i passed through for the drives). Tried going through a couple of whitepapers I found and they were quite dense for my knowledge level but I know...
  9. J

VRM Cooling for a Rackmount Motherboard Transplant

I am in America, I really appreciate the offer, I wish I could take advantage of it. It's not the worst thing to have to take the DIY approach but would be nice to just have something that is as simple as putting a couple plastic clips in
  10. J

VRM Cooling for a Rackmount Motherboard Transplant

I have an X10DRL-i that I purchased recently on ebay. Love the board, love that it is ATX but it is out of a 1U rackmount server ( 6018R-MT) so it is missing the heatsink on the VRM as shown in this photo circled in red, it does have the one circle in blue. Because I am using a consumer ATX...
  11. J

First Homelab Setup

Build’s Name: Homelab to migrate from Off the shelf NAS and have main machine be strictly for gaming/fun Operating System/ Storage Platform: FreeNAS, (running on ESXi eventually for hardware transcoding on Plex under ubuntu or windows) CPU: 1x 2660v3 (2nd on the way) Motherboard: SuperMicro...