Search results

1. H

Advice on 10-15 meter (32-50 ft.) long 10GbE SFP+ cables

Hi, i have a desktop and server connected with Solarflare SFN7022F cards, point to point, no switch, using standard copper DAC cables (Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M) I need to move the desktop further away, and need 15 meter cables, but i have no experience. I'm assuming i'm going to need optical cables...
  2. H

Why can't we have home switches with 120mm+ fans in a 'non-pizzabox' type case?

So the big problem with all 10GB+ switches today is the cooling, because they all come in 1U type format, which only fits 40mm fans. a 48 port traditional switch has 4x 12 ports sections horizontally. If they were stacked vertically, they could be in a case sporting a single 140mm fan. Or 2x...
  3. H

How to enable pulseaudio over network after upgrade to Bookworm/pipewire

I run KDE desktops with pcie passthrough to physical GPU's on proxmox. I use barrier (now forked to input-leap btw) for keyboard/mouse, and pulseaudio over network for audio. My main baremetal desktop hosts the physical mouse/keyboard + barrier server, and the physical audio device. How other...
  4. H

Hacking the intel H10/H20?

So i recently bought a Orico USB-c nvme case off ebay that actually came with a 32+512GB Intel H10. Paid not much more than a new Orico, so i figured what the heck, because my Mobo has a "intel optane ready" M.2 slot. I already knew that i would not be able to expose both the 3dxpoint chip and...
  5. H

EU REMOVED - went to metal recycling. Chenbro 3U 12-bay rackmount storage enclosure (probably RM31212)

So this has been moving with me from place to place, sitting in storage. I have no use for it, since the 3U height doesn't fit a standard ATX PSU, it makes it too loud for home use. It's very old, about 20 years old i think, but in overall good condition. It has one PSU of unknown specs...
  6. H

Press release: Samsung Develops Industry’s First CXL DRAM Supporting CXL 2.0

Samsung Develops Industry’s First CXL DRAM Supporting CXL 2.0 "Building on its development of the industry’s first CXL 1.1-based CXL DRAM in May of 2022, Samsung’s introduction of the 128GB CXL DRAM based on CXL 2.0 is expected to accelerate commercialization of next-generation memory...
  7. H

Matrox Luma A310 - Interesting new card for Proxmox pass-through?

This seems like a very interesting choice for a Proxmox server https://video.matrox.com/en/products/graphics-cards/luma-series/a310 Edit: no prices announced yet
  8. H

My Proxmox/Debian systemd script for partitioning and detaching Solarflare SFN7x22F VF's

EDIT: The original script i posted only works when partitioning interfaces for use with pcie passthrough in VM's. But i quickly ran into issues when i wanted to use interfaces for the proxmox host as well, because the script was being run after proxmox configures network interfaces, and starts...
  9. H

Big supply of Optane 900P 280GB U.2 drives from China, Anyone have experience or insight about them?

Does anyone have experience with the hundreds of Intel 900P 280GB U.2 drives from china, listed on Ebay for about 150-200 EUR? Knowing they can fake almost anything, i guess the only way to find out would be to order one, check all info with Intel/Solidigm tools, smartctl, and then compare...
  10. H

Quick check if your pcie device has SR-IOV capability

first do a normal lspci to find the address of your device, then to check for SR-IOV, using device 03:00.0 as example: lspci -vs 03:00.0 output should contain the line: Capabilities: [180] Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV)
  11. H

Klas VoyagerVM 4.0

So originally i was going to post about this Klas rugged edge node the VoyagerVM 4.0: Processor: Intel Xeon D (10 cores) Storage: 4x NVMe based self-encrypting drives Networking: 4x SFP28 (100 Gbps throughput) Expansion Interface: PCIe 4.0 Low Power: 9 - 36 VDC (120 Watts) But then i went to...
  12. H

W790 Motherboard discussion thread

Manufacturers & Manuals: (Prices updated Jun. 18) Asus Pro WS W790-ACE newegg $ 899 889 geizhals.eu € 844 820 829 Pro WS W790-ACE|Motherboards|ASUS Global Link to manual (PDF) Asus Pro WS W790E-SAGE newegg $ 1,300 geizhals.eu € 1206 1170 1179 Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE|Motherboards|ASUS Global...
  13. H

Sapphire Rapids-WS / Xeon W9-3495X

"the Xeon W9-3495X, surfaced on the Geekbench online database. (apparently according to comments it's a 28c/56t chip, and not 56/112).. just posted here as soon as i read the article lol edit: this says 56C 56T.. who knows lol Intel Xeon W9-3495X Unlocked Processor Surfaces on Geekbench...
  14. H

Help with 2x Solarflare SFN7022 cards, p2p iperf is 10Gb/s with 1 link, 2 links 5Gb/s per link no matter what.

Hi, so i have a test setup with 2 computers, one is 2x E5-2680v4 on c612 chipset, other is Xeon E-2186G on c246 chipset. 2x Solarflare SFN7022 cards, with 2x short DAC cables inbetween. Both running a fresh debian kernel. Both cards are on a pcie3 x8 slot. both SFN card have latest firmware...
  15. H

ZBM - It's time to move on.

No time for specifics, just wanted to give a heads up, There's no more need for systemd-boot, grub, or any of the decades of headaches. There's a new kid on the block now. for 30 years i've played around with bootmanagers, and recently i found mine no more tears, no more pain. I've...
  16. H

Proxmox dark mode - Finally

Now you can use PVE without $300 Ray-Ban aviators! GitHub - Weilbyte/PVEDiscordDark: A Discord-like dark theme for the Proxmox Web UI. bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Weilbyte/PVEDiscordDark/master/PVEDiscordDark.sh ) install
  17. H

How to avoid manic depression when partitioning your NIC using SR-IOV

OK just a short post, but after my experience, it's better to get this out there, it might just save someone's life in the future: Never, ever copy-paste command lines from PDF files!! Hours and hours searching for the reason i spent, installing, compiling, crying, and then finally drinking...
  18. H

Florida Man Charged In $1 Billion Fraud Scheme Of Counterfeit Cisco Devices

Florida Man Charged In $1 Billion Fraud Scheme Of Counterfeit Cisco Devices | ZeroHedge CEO of Dozens of Companies and Entities Charged in Scheme to Traffic an Estimated $1 Billion in Fraudulent and Counterfeit Cisco Networking Equipment edit: also note from the DOJ page: Anyone who believes...
  19. H

Dell HBA355i crossflashed to support Nvme?

There's no mention of nvme support in the documentation i found, but it's based on SAS3816 which is Tri-Mode right? So could it be crossflashed to a LSI or something and get nvme support? List of PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) types for Dell EMC systems | Dell Canada Dell Host Bus Adapter...
  20. H

IntelMAS quick guide

So i bought a few used Intel DC P3700 800GB U.2 drives off Ebay, and went through the whole Intel® Memory and Storage Tool CLI user guide. Below are the basic commands to read drive statistics, update the firmware, erase and format the drives: -intelssd [0,1,2,...] for individual devices Show...