Search results

1. Pri

pfSense adding WireGuard VPN and pfSense Plus

The things they've announced about pfSense+ features sound really great, things myself and others have wanted for a long time. But... this new version that has all this new great stuff is closed source which feels like a betrayal of the project. They keep saying on reddit that the community...
  2. Pri

Gigabyte WRX80-SU8-IPMI AMD Threadripper Pro Motherboard

I am incredibly excited that Threadripper Pro is coming to the DIY market. This is definitely what I'm going to upgrade my main server to as it meets all my requirements. 1. High core counts 2. High clock speeds 3. Large memory address capability (RDIMM support) 4. Full ECC memory support And...
  3. Pri

Suggestion for Reviews

I really do enjoy the reviews here at STH but if there's one thing I'd really like is a table at the start of a review or mid-way on the first page of a review that lists all the specifications of the product. Take this review for example...
  4. Pri

The ULTRA EPYC

This was a great read. You could really feel your excitement and enthusiasm coming through.
  5. Pri

literally a plank of wood touch panel

If it's real wood I expect they just use a precise cutting tool to make the front very thin so the light shines through. Similar to how Apple used to do it on the aluminium MacBook Pro's that had sleep indicators hidden behind the aluminium without any material change that were visible etc If...
  6. Pri

Core i7 3930K compatibility with RDIMM?

I do agree. I actually changed from a 3930K to a E5-1650 and I switched that out for two E5-2667v2's about 10 months ago. So for me this platform is still very much alive. I certainly considered buying new, going DDR4 and such but the pricing was nuts. I could pickup two 8 core processors (the...
  7. Pri

Core i7 3930K compatibility with RDIMM?

I didn't think this thread would receive any more replies since it's over four years old. But thank you for replying and settling it, it's good to know for sure :)
  8. Pri

What happened with LGA 2011-3 Motherboards for Haswell-E with DDR3?

It definitely contradicts what their support told me and to be honest their support is lousy so they likely said anything to get rid of me without looking into it.
  9. Pri

You got a lot more ram than I have! - I'm just rocking 8 x 8GB. But I bought that RAM in 2014 and the prices for DDR4 then were high, I paid about $600 just for 64GB. I think if I was buying DDR3 ECC 1600MHz now (which my current 8GB ones are) I'd prob get 128GB or more for the same price.
  10. Pri

That's funny, we went with the same CPU, same Motherboard, similar Noctua coolers etc I got mine configured a bit different, I have a bunch of 850 Pro SSD's in there and a Intel X540-T2 network card and a LSI RAID Card + HP SAS Expander card. PSU I'm using is a Corsair 1200i (1200 Watt thing...
  11. Pri

This is what I did. I started off in 2014 with a 6 core sandy bridge XEON in a dual-socket board (only one socket populated). Then late last year I upgraded it to dual Ivy Bridge 8 Core XEON's (I needed clock speed more than core counts) thus maximising my server. I spent $300 x 2 on those...
  12. Pri

I remember reading the original article and I asked Asrock for clarification, they told me the DDR3 thing was a typo, they merely copy and pasted the english specifications from the LGA 2011 (Sandy/Ivy) boards and updated the information but they forgot to update the DDR3 to DDR4. They later...
  13. Pri

Core Density.

There are a few reasons for this but it comes down to single thread performance which is dictated by IPC (Instructions Per Clock) and the actual clock speed of the chips. You will find that the Core i7 7700K is Kaby-Lake which is one of the fastest architectures Intel has. Current XEON's only...
  14. Pri

pfsense: A 'meltdown' of a different sort?

In my opinion he is the biggest threat to pfSense being a viable business. Not the outside forces. For example Jim purchasing opnsense.com and then pointing it to a parody site of the real opnsense website. That's just so juvenile. According to the other co-founder of pfSense they are using...
  15. Pri

pfsense: A 'meltdown' of a different sort?

It's a real shame to see what was once a really well respected project be pulled through the mud by its own maintainers like this. Their childish antics and flagrant flippant remarks make the project look so petty, disorganised and amateur. I'm as of this moment still running pfSense on my home...
  16. Pri

A silly Question, is there a better alternative to pfsense for home use?

Personally I quite like the interface and I like the product in general. But the people who make it, electric sheep or whatever they call themselves. They act so poorly, so childishly. Their owner and some of their employees talk terribly with users. Ever since OPNSense came on the scene I have...
  17. Pri

10GBe Ethernet Card Options

Keep your eye on ebay, used pulls from servers come up quite often. I was able to get some genuine Intel ones with yotta holographic for £80 each on ebay recently, both pulled from Dell servers. I usually see X540-T2's like what I got come up once a month on there like this.
  18. Pri

Abandon the AIO? End of year budget itch.

I'm surprised that you say there's no real second hand market for server parts here in Europe. I get almost all my server stuff second hand and I'm in Europe :) even the few things I get from the USA work out quite cheap, like $25 shipping and import duty still comes 50-60% less than buying new.
  19. Pri

Is this a valid IPv6 address and can you help me convert it?

"asn": "AS7922", "provider": "COMCAST-7922 - Comcast Cable Communications, LLC, US", "country": "United States", "ip": "2001:0558:4060:005c:223d:66ff:fe9c:9a4d",
  20. Pri

A silly Question, is there a better alternative to pfsense for home use?

Essentially, yes. It has been three years or so since I last used any Realtek networking stuff. Though I still suffer today with their lousy audio chips. I am not a fan of their budget focused chips, I'd rather pay more to get a quality chip. Right now I'm using X540-T2's from Intel, 10Gb...