Search results

1. Z

Comcast 2Gbps Internet - Anyone?

I've actually been doing some research into what's involved. Apparently there are no data caps on the 2Gb service and they give you a static IP. To get the full 2Gbps, they provide an ACX2100 which you can connect to via a 10Gb SFP port.
  2. Z

SR-IOV Bios support in desktops

I had the same question about the Asrock Extreme 11 x99 so I emailed their tech support. They actually supplied me with a BIOS with the configurable option added in. If I were you I would just email tech support for whatever board you're interested in. I doubt any of the 1150 boards support...
  3. Z

Intel 730 480GB for $219.99

Newegg has these on sale again. Not quite as good as $200 last November, but still pretty good. Limit of two per customer.
  4. Z

Low 4K read/write numbers in recent reviews

Screenshot on the left is from July, screenshot on the right is from yesterday. So what are you doing with the drives when conditioning them? Since the LSI controllers don't utilize trim, you're essentially relying on Intel's built-in garbage collection. Given that every manufacturer's...
  5. Z

If by conditioning you mean write a bunch of data to the drives, I did zero conditioning. These results were basically hooking up the drive, writing about a GB of data to it, then running a few benchmarks. Determining steady-state performance would certainly be useful information, but I don't...
  6. Z

I hadn't realized the onboard Intel controllers were caching this much. However, I did receive my drives today and I set one of them up on an LSI3008. My results do show a bit higher performance in QD1 4K reads/writes.
  7. Z

The Intel 730 SSD Discussion Thread 240GB/ 480GB

I ordered 6 of the 480GB drives and will be using them with an Areca 1883i. We'll see how they compare with my 840 pros. I'll post benchmarks when its up and running.
  8. Z

I saw the write-up today for the Intel 730 and noticed that the ASSSD results seemed a bit off on the 4K reads and writes. This is the review I'm referencing. http://www.servethehome.com/intel-730-480gb-ssd-quick-benchmarks/ In other reviews I've seen, the 4K read numbers are usually in the...
  9. Z

What SSDs are you using with LSI MegaRAID cards?

Heh, so apparently their PDF is actually missing the heading for Samsung in the SSD section, but the drives are still listed in there on page 37. SATA 6Gb/s 840 Pro, MZ-7PD512 3B0Q 512GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s 840 Pro, MZ-7PD256 3B0Q 256GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s 840 Pro, MZ-7PD128 3B0Q 128GB 2.5"
  10. Z

What SSDs are you using with LSI MegaRAID cards?

Until a couple weeks ago I was using 840 pros on the Intel RS25DB080 (9265-8i clone) without issue. I believe there was an issue a while back with the 9270 not allowing you to enable the disk cache policy. That issue was specific to that card and I think they fixed it. I checked LSI's...
  11. Z

ASUS P9A-I/C2550/SAS/4L

Wait... so the Marvell controller doesn't support raid and the board doesn't appear to work with ESXi? That basically eliminates both use cases for me. edit: Found this comment on a Newegg review for the Asrock with the same controller: