Search results

1. A

New home networking layout

If only a single 1Gbit link is used between a switch and pfSense, there can be significant performance ramifications since any VLAN boundaries being crossed must go to the router and back. In a home network, this may not be an issue. If you have alot of file transfers across VLANs on multiple...
  2. A

Home network IPv6 conundrum

I've come to a crossroads recently in my home network setup and looking for some input. In the past, I ran pfSense and all IPv6 was disabled. Traffic was forced through a VPN service, such as NordVPN, with a few exception that restricted the VPN service. At present, my network is fully open...
  3. A

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

"servethehome step mom" Hmmmmmmmmmm.
  4. A

I suspect the issue is and never was with the switch but either a bad connection/cable somewhere or a routing table on an edge device doing funky things. Be sure to check for packet errors on your end device(s). This is what really matters. Certainly not. Traffic sent to the switch...
  5. A

There might also be an issue with NAT on your firewall. I know this is an issue with pfSense.OPNSense where you have to manually adjust NAT settings.
  6. A

Sorry I missed that you had the running-config linked already. Th pasted ping shows the packet delays when pinging the switch. In your latest post, you say it happens to any traffic going through the switch (i.e. edge device to edge device). If the latter is true, than there may be an issue...
  7. A

@m4r1k Paste the running-config and the log and are you pinging from a device directly connected to the switch? Is the switch being used as the primary gateway of the device doing the pinging?
  8. A

No, 8.0.30u is the latest and final firmware for ICX6xxx line. EDIT: fixed version typo :)
  9. A

@TZann The switch only handles routing that has traffic sent to it that needs to be routed (not on same L2 network). This only happens when the appropriate switch VE is used as a gateway (somewhere along the line) as you discovered. Adding the static router to your internet router may or may...
  10. A

@TZann I suspect the devices on your 192.168.1.0/24 subnet are unaware of the routes on your switch. There are two ways to rectify this: Use the switch's ve as the gateway on each device (192.168.1.80) Add a static route on the gateway/router currently being used by those devices Example...
  11. A

You can change the default VLAN, but it's likely a better idea to just use dual-mode 85 instead of simply dual-mode on the appropriate port(s).
  12. A

@Nikotine , Depends on how you hav the WRT router configured. If it's set to tag VLAN traffic also, then keep it tagged with no dual-mode. I suspect it is not VLAN aware, however. This is fine. You can either tag it on the switch and then use dual-mode on that port, but you'd be better off...
  13. A

Junos 12.3R12.4 Security - PfSense VM on Cable-Modem vlan?

Passing through the NIC to the VM will offer better performance depending on your CPU performance, but on my aging R710s (10 years old) I can achieve over 1Gbps throughput through pfSense (virtio driver) with OpenVSwitch. The benefit of this option is I can live migrate my pfSense VM from one...
  14. A

Junos 12.3R12.4 Security - PfSense VM on Cable-Modem vlan?

I'm unwaveringly confident there are tens of thousands of JunOS switches connected to the internet in all sorts of fashions, including as edge switches/routers. Don't sweat it. Regarding your 1a..... If you have a dynamic IP, don't give the switch port an IP address. Leave the VLAN as L2...
  15. A

What's the ambient temp of that room? If the fans are ramping up to level 2, it's probably too hot for average use case. I have two ICX6610s in a stack. One runs 10C cooler than the other both MACs and the CPU. No idea why the difference despite same load/PoE/devices plugged in.
  16. A

@TZann , 1. It can be shorted some by removing the switch rules at the top as these would be covered in the catchall deny ip host 192.168.1.140 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 log. 2. I'm not certain, but this is likely because you're still on the same L2 network (same VLAN). The ACLs are only applied...
  17. A

What would you recommend I do about a congested network segment?

Bandaids on top of bandaids will make a broken network a complicated, broken network. You asked for others' guidance in resolving the experienced network issues. Very intelligent people gave you good information to get you moving in the right direction. If your boss doesn't want to accept the...
  18. A

Hmmm, I too just loked at my ICX latency in LibreNMS and see the same wild latency spikes up to about 130-160ms. I haven't had any connectivity issues as a result, though, so it's moot to me.
  19. A

Long story short.... You MUST either: A) get wires to the IP cams if they can be wired or B) Replace the cameras with models that can be wired, and then wire them. WiFi is a whole different beast than wired networking. With wired networks, you may have a bottleneck, but you can just add more...
  20. A

You have 7 APs in the 2.4GHz band inside 6,000 square feet in a, likely, mostly open area? Yeah, that's a problem. Turning the signal power up will likely make reception worse, not better. RF isn't just "pump in more power to increase signal strength." RF bounces and intereres. Make sure...