Search results

1. H

The great unRAID to Windows rebuild...

It's been a long time. 4 years or so since I moved over to unRAID, and all-in-all I've been happy. But, I've got the Windows Server itch again, so I've migrated my data over to a temporary data store, and I'm just about to start in to rebuilding my unRAID box to Storage Server 2016 Standard...
  2. H

2x180GB Intels or 1x480GB Crucial M500 mSATA?

I'm just about to refit home server. It's got some parts I'm gutting out of a cheap Lenovo TS140 I have, and most of the parts of the old one. Basically it's the spec in my .sig but with a different board and different drives. Specs as follows: Xeon E3-1225v3 2x8Gb Kingston DDR3-1600 ECC...
  3. H

Crucial MX100 bug

Seems Crucial's new MX100 is having a few issues. My 512GB one dropped out (Windows Server 2012R2 more or less died, but was still able to serve files off the HDDs). Upon reboot the MX100 was found but the server was unable to boot. Took 3 cold reboots to get it to show up and boot. It ran...
  4. H

Synology announce DS215j

DS215j - Products - Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS) Looks like a nice little machine. Dual core Armada 375 running at 800MHz and 512MB RAM. If you are in the market for a small 2-bay, I think this is probably ideal. I'm a little surprised they didn't go for the Comcerto as per the...
  5. H

Low(est) power ESXI host?

OK, so I have taken: i5 NUC D54250WYK board, TranquilPC Abel passive case, 12GB RAM (8GB Crucial & 4GB Crucial DDR3L-1600) 480GB M500 mSATA Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8GB ESXI 5.5 Put it all together and you get a decent little ESXI host that uses less than 10W at the wall. I'm hopefully going to P2V...
  6. H

Built a new home server. Bettered prebuilt NAS.

I have a few different NAS units in the house. I like buying things to tinker with. Amazon's 30 days returns are a godsend, it means I can buy stuff and play with it for 30 days then return it for a full refund. So, I had an Asustor AS-604T. Nice machine. Fast. Quiet. Lots of apps I...
  7. H

HP Mediasmart EX495 - how much storage is possible?

I've been offered a Mediasmart EX495 for nothing, so I was thinking about using it as a backup server. I'd want to put Server 2012R2 on it, which seems simple enough. However I can't seem to be able to confirm if these work with 6TB drives? Can anyone confirm?
  8. H

WD Black actually a Blue?

Just got a new WD Black this week. It's a 1TB WD1003FZEX, and I was surprised to find a very light single platter drive with the cheap Blue-style 'stamped tin' top cover, not the heavier 'stainless steel/black insert' cover as is usual on the Black. It's speed seemed slow on my testing...
  9. H

Green vs Red redux.

So, I see WD have released their new 5TB and 6TB Green drives. I'm still convinced these drives are the same mechanically as the Reds, and a few minutes with WDIDLE3.exe turns off/down the idle timer. In a pair in RAID1 I don't see any reason why I should spend £20-25 extra on the Red. I've...
  10. H

WHS, Low power AM1 build.

Build’s Name: WHS Operating System/ Storage Platform: Synology DSM5 booting via Nanoboot CPU: Semptron 3850 AM1 (Quad core 1.3GHz) Motherboard: Asus AM1I-A Chassis: Fractal Design Node 304 Norco ITX-S4 Drives: Dell/Micron C400 256GB SSD (/volume1), 2xHGST Deskstar NAS 4TB (/volume2) RAM...