Search results

1. A

Deep learning rig motherboard reccomendations

I have a bunch of parts -some E5-2690v4 cpus and Xeon Gold cpus, big cases, DDR4 ECC ram. Looking for a motherboard that can handle 2x RTX4090 or 4x3080/3090. Considering Supermicro H12SSL-i or H11SSL-i (and sell the xeon cpus); Asrock EPYC ROME-D8; ASUS SAGE c621 WS; ASUS X99 WS. To keep...
  2. A

Anyone using tape drives?

I have about 60TB of data stored accross 1TB-8TB drives in 3 machines+boxes. Dell T7610 and Lenovo P510 won't identify >3TB SATA. Need a (ideally) cheap solution. Is anyone using tape drives for cold storage? What tape backup systems+tape types would you recommend?
  3. A

ASRock Rack EPYCD8/ROMED8-2T GPU clearance

I can't find any specs on the height of the 2* mini SAS controllers on these boards. Are they tall enough to prevent full length GPU's from being fully inserted into the upper pcie slots?. I'd hate to buy one of these cards and find full length gpus couldn't fit.
  4. A

Home supercomputing cluster

Has anyone built a home cluster using different spec machines? I have 2x dual cpu E5 26xx v2 boxes, a E5-2690v3 and a dual scalable Xeon box, all with varying ram from 64-370GB. Network is 1G but in process of upgrading to 10G. Workload would be scientific compute on CPUs. Would SLURM be...
  5. A

IT mode card for Dell R720

After buying a Dell PERC h710 mini for an R720 server that had no controller card, I now find that in order to run drives without RAID copy (I need the storage space, don't really care for redundancy) I can only run RAID 0 which requires me to turn the disks into one big drive. Problem is I want...
  6. A

AU Fulfilled- [WTB] 2x Xeon Gold 20+ core CPUs

(No longer required) Xeon gold CPUs seem to be in the sweet spot for price/performance, platinum seem overpriced. Any of the following would do 6152 6148 6138 6122 To give an indication of what these are going for on eBay, the 6152 (which is the top of the range I'm looking at) are USD $299...
  7. A

Dell R720 no drives detected

I just bought an R720, came with 2 SATA drives plugged into backplate. The machine has no raid card and I dont need raid. Came from a data center and used with hypervisor for compute without disks. In bios there is no mention of disks, in f10 settings, says disk unavailable. When boot linux...
  8. A

Best 32gb dimm for asrock x99 MB

I have an Asrock X99 WS mb, in specs on main site the board can support 32gb dimms for a total of 256gb. However I haven't been able to find anywhere which specific dimms are supported. I could 1) use the 32gb version of 16gb dimms on QVL list, 2) get most common (whatever that is) sk...
  9. A

Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ error beep codes

Just put together a sm X9DRI-LN4F+ with single cpu and 2x ram dimms. Only installed 1x v1 cpu, 2x matching ram dimms pulled from working system and vga cable to monitor. On power on cpu fan runs, i get two beeps and a 30 sec pause then two beeps and a 10 sec pause and a bip. Manual only...
  10. A

E5-2690 build really sluggish

I have just put together a HP Proliant ML350p gen8 with mods being replacing 2xE5-2620's with a single E5-2690 cpu, noctua CPU cooler and noctua fan replacements for the Delta fans following this thread https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/hp-ml350p-gen8-fan-replacement.21359/ I am...
  11. A

Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ wont power on

I bought a used SM X9DRi-LN4F+ rev 1.1 on ebay, received 2 weeks ago, sourced some xeons and got round to modding a phanteks enthoo primo case to fit the motherboard and 3x gpus (one on a custom bracket connecting via pcie riser), only to find the board wont power on. Tested psu and it works...
  12. A

Fulfilled [WTB] Xeon E5-26xx v1/2 pair

NB this WTB request has been fulfilled Looking for a pair of any of: E5-2690 v2 E5-2680 v2 E5-2673 v2 E5-2667 v2 E5-2650 v2 E5-2690 Posted to Australia (should be pretty easy given their size and weight).
  13. A

Case for Supermicro X9DRi -LN4F

I just bought a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F dual socket E-ATX/EE-ATX? motherboard. I have an Phanteks enthoo primo case (and EVGA DG87 -7 holes required, and dark base 900-not really big enough) but will have to drill 3 holes along top of board to fit mounts. Id rather not do this as modified a case...