Search results

1. B

Would this make for a good build?

I did end up going elsewhere. Found a build that was ~$700 w/shipping before tax that was a full generation newer. I don't get to reuse my old parts but it's probably better in the long run since I won't have near as much to upgrade if I need to and had updates as recently as 2021.
  2. B

Would this make for a good build?

I've been looking around for a replacement for my old Gen 11 Dell server that is dying and I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233694317173 I wanted to get some confirmation if you guys thought it would be a good and upward move. I figured Supermicro would give me a better and more...
  3. B

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I like the idea that they were taking the switch out of the rack with one cable left in it, and accidentally dropped the switch. The cable sacrificed itself to save the switch with only the damage you see externally.
  4. B

I recently grabbed myself this HP card (it's actually a rebranded ConnectX-3 and there are instructions on this forum for how to flash it to Mellanox firmware) and this QSFP+ to SFP+ adapter. Since it sounds like your desktop will be very close to the switch, then you could get a set of these...
  5. B

I bought an ICX6450 recently and I want to start making use of the SFP+ ports for my server. Here's the question, can I use a QSFP+ to 4xSFP+ breakout DAC on my server end and connect up only some of the SFP+ connectors to the switch and get them to work at something like 20/30Gbit speeds? It's...
  6. B

That's a good point, I'd have realized that if I gave it some more thought. I should've realized that it had to be available for everything; it's not like ssh is the only way to connect. Makes it slightly more of a pain if you want to use a long secure password.
  7. B

I just got my ICX6450 and am working through your guide. (finished actually but I'm trying to tweak things related to it) I was wondering about the "enable" password. I created an account and I can login via ssh with a key which makes things really easy. However, when I want to elevate to the...
  8. B

Looking for a SFP+ card for my FreeNAS box

That was option 2. I could've seen it being easier in some situations to do a qsfp to 4xsfp dac and leave some disconnected (if that even works) but the other option was exactly what you posted. Also do you know any good listings for the adapters?
  9. B

I'm looking for a QSFP to SFP adapter that would make the total price comparable but having trouble. Also I'll need to get full height brackets for them. Lastly, can you attach only 1 or 2 connectors on a QSFP to SFP DAC? Or would I have to use a QSFP to SFP adapter with a SFP-SFP DAC?
  10. B

@zack$ do you know if there are any better options for a full height bracket for the Chelsio? I've only found ones from China that'll take about a month to arrive. I think that your picks are actually really good options (after I did all that further looking up and seeing how much cheaper these...
  11. B

I am rather certain that the mezzanine card is the proper one for my Dell C2100. I liked the idea of it because I could be certain that it wouldn't mind PCIe Gen2, since it's made for this machine, and also the idea of it saving my proper slots for anything I might grab in the future (like a...
  12. B

I forgot to mention that the server should be full height. Is there a listing where I can get a full height shield(?) separately or should I just look for another listing of the same card that comes with a full height shield(?). Not that it's a big deal, but what's the reason behind doing 2...
  13. B

INFO EDIT: I'm looking at getting a Brocade ICX6450-48P and upgrading my server and desktop to 10GbE. My server is a FreeNAS 11.3 box with PCIe2.0 x8 ports, and my desktop is a modern Windows 10 build. I'm trying to find a SFP+ NIC for my FreeNAS box but I'm a little overwhelmed with the...
  14. B

HP T730: $129.40 (shipped)

You were 100% right. I was ready to believe it was capacitive because it was so sensitive to touch. When I got in there, and took the motherboard out it was blatantly a button switch (I should've recognized as much initially but was too fixated on the capacitive idea). It clicked fine and seems...
  15. B

Those are QSFP cards, I don't think you can use SFP+ transceivers with them without an adapter of some sort. You probably want to get SFP+ cards instead. Don't take me as gospel though because I'm in your same position.
  16. B

Cheap Pfsense conversion

I just got my t730 but I'm having a weird issue. The power button seems to detect ghosts; translation: The touch-sensitive button will detect touches on different parts of the case and sometimes from adjusting wires or USB devices. Is this a common issue and do you guys know of a way to fix it...
  17. B

HP T730: $129.40 (shipped)

I just got myself a t730 and had a question for you guys, since this seems like one of the most active threads on the machine. It has a touch sensitive (presumably capacitive) power button right? Well mine seems to activate all the time when I handle the machine even with my hands not near the...
  18. B

HP t730 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade

I just got myself a t730 and had a question for you guys, since this seems like one of the most active threads on the machine. It has a touch sensitive (presumably capacitive) power button right? Well mine seems to activate all the time when I handle the machine even with my hands not near the...
  19. B

Based on the difference between the two of you's results, I'd guess that it does actually need to be connected to get a result. So if I get myself an ICX, I could connect it up to the run and use that command to get a ballpark on whether I can use the shorter 10G-T adapters. I'll keep that in...
  20. B

Not easy to verify the length of a cable after it's installed :p. I just did a REALLY rough measure and it should be under 100ft, maybe 75ft. That should put it in the ballpark of working. I'm not sure if I'd be able to run 10gbit (without upgrading to one of the longer range modules) to the...