Search results

1. O

2024 pfSense Builds

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I’ve been using the free version of pfSense for about 5 years and it’s met my needs. What does someone gain for the upgrade to the license?
  2. O

2024 pfSense Builds

I’m outfitting the house with cabling for POE, the TVs, home office computers and Unfi access points/products towards the end of the year (we just moved, so starting from scratch again). At that point, if you were choosing your router from scratch, would you still use pf/opnSense? Or would you...
  3. O

2024 pfSense Builds

This is great feedback. I appreciate y’all’s responses.
  4. O

2024 pfSense Builds

Thank you for the referrals.
  5. O

2024 pfSense Builds

Hey guys. I noticed there hasn’t been much recent activity for pfSense builds lately. The Dell mini PC I repurposed just died when we moved and I need a new pfSense box. I was curious if anyone would make a 2024 recommendation to handle home use, Frontier Gigabit, only one or two VPN connections...
  6. O

USB-C Switch for laptop hub

Hiya gang. Has anyone discovered a USB-C switch they like? I’ve got two laptops sharing a Dell D6000 docking hub. Works fantastically well regardless of which machine is connected (HP Elite x360 and a MS SB3), but I’d like to not have to swap the cable every night.
  7. O

Getting started with dockers and containers

I thought dockers and containers were software items or OS items of some sort..
  8. O

Getting started with dockers and containers

Hi all. Is there a thread or a good web read that helps prime a newbie for using dockers and containers? I'm not an engineer or programmer, just a hobbyist. I want to install one machine in a small rack, and that machine will serve files, run Blue Iris (BI requires Windows and Intel GPU access)...
  9. O

Getting started with pfsense

Update: reinstalled the FIOS router for testing. Turns out the bottle neck is in my Orbi router. Cam anyone point me towards a thread or two for determining my hardware needs for pfsense? I’m seeing you don’t need much hardware, but I want to ensure it build it properly to handle my gigabit...
  10. O

Unraid or Other for first server

Thanks. I’ll look for some SuperMicro, but it needs to be short depth. I’m looking at the Silverstone RM41-H08, but I’d really prefer to have a case with the HotSwap bays and USB3 for half this price. SilverStone Technology RM41-H08 4U Rackmount Server Case
  11. O

@Spartacus Thank you. With the goal being to have fewer boxes (I only have 15U of space) and also using mostly consumer-level PC hardware, I think I want one machine to: serve files to my wife and I (general centralized storage, small amount Premiere Pro work, sometimes video transfers between...
  12. O

@JediAcolyte Yes. And thank you for discretely pointing out my typo via direct message so I could adjust the original post. Oh, wait...you did not give me that opportunity. Okay then, I won’t fully adjust the original post. That said, given you took the time to read my post, then provide a...
  13. O

I am building my first server. Using WD Red Plus 10TB (not GB) drives. If my priorities are to have a multi-use machine and ensure I can take advantage of my 10Gbe network infrastructure, do you suggest Unraid, or should I consider other systems? I am a hobbyist, not a professional.
  14. O

RM41-H08 or other short-depth case

Amazon has WD Red CMR 10GB drives on sale, so I’m going to build my server. I cannot find another short-depth case 4U, USB3.0, with Hot Swap bays. Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have a suggestion on an alternative 4U, short depth case with hot-swap bays and USB 3.0 headers on the front...
  15. O

@kapone When I say "Converted to ONT", I got rid of the Coax, installed the new outside box for the updated Gigabit, and now I'm using Ethernet instead of Coax throughout the house. When I have have done these two items: Plugged the modem back in Connected a computed directly to the ONT I...
  16. O

@kapone Thanks. I converted to ONT. You are correct. You don’t need their router (currently I am not using it). Except, if you want to call tech support and complain about speeds. The first thing they do is log into the modem. Then tell you if you are not using the modem, they cannot proceed.
  17. O

@gb00s I concur ;) very slim to none. I have not yet stepped into advanced configuration yet. Yes. I am running on the Fios gigabit plan. One of my angsts is I've never consistently had more than 650 downloads. They will not troubleshoot me unless I put their modem in. I put it back in once...
  18. O

@kapone I am not sure...I set it up as a dumb switch, then activated the POE ports I needed. A web UI says Layer 2 is activated...not sure it does layer 3 @gb00s I'm asking for someone to point me towards info because I do not see a guide or Howto for beginners on this...I'm asking for a...
  19. O

Hi Gang. I have a Orbi setup, and it sucks...the WIFI mesh is great (as-in zero issues in 2.5 years), but anything else I need to manage is awful. Can someone point me to a getting started thread or web article for getting started with pfsense? Ideally, I'd like to get by with something to...
  20. O

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Is there a good primer thread on pfSense for home hobbyists? It seems to be a recurring topic here, I'd like to learn more about it.