Search results

1. R

WINDOWS SERVER 2022 ON A DELL R820

I'm want to add a Dell R820 to my home lab. I found a 32 core box for a price I'm willing to pay. I originally planned to run windows server 2022 on it. When I went looking for how to license a quad socket server (32 cores) I got a rather rude awakening. Should I consider learning another Os...
  2. R

Strange issue with my Aruba S2500 SFP+

Recently the ISP supplied router died. Spectrum replaced it straight away. Ever since then I can't ping nor log into my switch. I still have internet connectivity, and everything on my network is functioning properly. I just cannot log into my switch. It simply times out. If it helps, the old...
  3. R

Booting a Dell R720XD

I now have a new(to me) R720XD. It is my understanding that the two SSD's connected to the rear flexbay are not bootable. If I am correct, this leaves me to boot from the internal usb port on the mother board. I don't want to boot from one of the 12 drives in the front. My question is what...
  4. R

R720XD H710 mini without raid

I hope doesn't sound like a stupid question. The H710 mini in my R720XD has not been flashed to IT mode. While I am waiting for payday to order one that has, I have a question. With the H710 mini not in IT mode, can I still use my drives separately without being in raid? If it helps, I will...
  5. R

R720xd nics

My R720XD arrived today. While I’m gathering the rest of the stuff I want,I have a really important question. Can each network port on my R720xd be put in a seperate vlan? The reason I ask, is I want to put my 4 sfp+ 10gbe ports on my Aruba S2500 in one vlan, and my ip cameras in another vlan. I...
  6. R

Media Server CPU Upgrade (more cores or more clock speed)

My current Emby server runs a pair of E5-2680's @2.8 ghtz and 128 gigs of DDR3 and I'm looking to upgrade. My search has led me to both a pair of E5-2678W V2's @3.4 ghtz and a pair of E5-2697 V2's @2.7 ghtz. My choice comes down to more cores or more clock speed. Which is the better upgrade for...
  7. R

Inter-tech IPC-4420 RAILS

i’m not sure where to put this. If is in the wrong place, mods please move it. With that out of the way, I just took delivery of a Inter-Tech 20 bay IPC-4420. The catch is when I ordered it, the Inter-Tech rails were out of stock, and still out of stock. The StarUSA TC-RAIL-26 rails are in stock...
  8. R

Strange problem with highpoint R750

First after reading some comments here, I get the impression that Hightpoint products are not looked upon in high regard. Please don't thrash me to hard for buying one. With that out of the way, I grabbed an R750 from Highpoint for stupid cheap on ebay. I'll never need 40 drives but it was...
  9. R

Adding a HBA card without using data.

I am about to order one of those 24 bay server cases and put my existing media server in it. Since I'll need an hba card, I have a question. If you connect a drive with data already on it to an hba card, do you loose the data? Assuming the answer is no, (fingers crossed) will it have the same...
  10. R

NH-U12-TR4-SP3 in a 4U rosewill chassis ( again)

The 120mm NH-U12-TR4-SP3 according to Noctua is 158mm tall. The 120mm NH-U12DX i4 according to Noctua is 158mm tall. Now is where things get wierd. My dual xeon system and my threadripper system are both in Rosewill 4U rack chassis. My dual xeon system is cooled with the NH-U12DX i4 with no...
  11. R

Backing up for cheap

I'm not sure where to put this so If its in the wrong place, please move it. With that being said, I have a strange back up problem. My media server runs windows 10 LTSC and emby. I have no drive redundancy just a server case with JBOD. I use backblaze's $6.00 a month unlimited backup service...
  12. R

Low Profile Ram (X399 Phantom Gaming 6) (1950X)

I working on a 1950X threadripper build that will be housed in a 4U Rosewill RSV-L4500. The motherboard in question is the X399 Phantom Gaming 6. (I still don't know why gaming is in the title of a workstation board) This is more of a workstation build than a server. Its going in a rack with my...
  13. R

HBA cards and drive letters

Right now there are 4 drives in my media server. They are connected directly to the motherboard. If I install a Host Bus Adapter (in IT mode) will my drive letters change?