Search results

1. R

WINDOWS SERVER 2022 ON A DELL R820

I'm want to add a Dell R820 to my home lab. I found a 32 core box for a price I'm willing to pay. I originally planned to run windows server 2022 on it. When I went looking for how to license a quad socket server (32 cores) I got a rather rude awakening. Should I consider learning another Os...
  2. R

Strange issue with my Aruba S2500 SFP+

Thank you. That was what I was hopping for.
  3. R

Now I have another question. Assigning an extra port a 192.168.0.x IP address got me into my switch console. When I did this I didn't bother assigning a gateway. Just the IP address and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Since I didn't assign a gateway, Will the computer in question still...
  4. R

Dude that worked like a charm. All of my computers have 10gig network cards. So I just changed the ip address of one of the unused 1gig ports on the motherboard of one of them to a 192.168.0.x ip address. I was able to log right in. I have to read documentation to figure out how to change the ip...
  5. R

I forgot to ask an important question. Since I don't have the proper cable yet, Can I just factory reset my switch and set it up all over again? I don't have any special configurations yet other than deleting the stacking ports so I have all 4 sfp+ ports for 10gig connectivity. re-deleting the...
  6. R

Ok. I've used PuTTY before. So it seems all I have to do is get the proper cable and follow the PuTTY instructions again. Thanks
  7. R

The management and console ports are RJ45 ports. Will a standard network cable work or do I need something specific? Also Is there anything else I need to do to login via console or management ports? I have never had to mess with those before, and haven't been able to find any documentation...
  8. R

I have to edit this post, the corrected ip address are 192.168.x.x
  9. R

Recently the ISP supplied router died. Spectrum replaced it straight away. Ever since then I can't ping nor log into my switch. I still have internet connectivity, and everything on my network is functioning properly. I just cannot log into my switch. It simply times out. If it helps, the old...
  10. R

Booting a Dell R720XD

So It sounds like all I have to do is boot from your typical usb stick, install win server 2019 to one of the SSD's connected to the rear flex bay and continue with the instillation. Thank you for clearing this up.
  11. R

Booting a Dell R720XD

Mine has a flashed to IT mode H710 mini.
  12. R

Booting a Dell R720XD

I now have a new(to me) R720XD. It is my understanding that the two SSD's connected to the rear flexbay are not bootable. If I am correct, this leaves me to boot from the internal usb port on the mother board. I don't want to boot from one of the 12 drives in the front. My question is what...
  13. R

R720XD H710 mini without raid

I hope doesn't sound like a stupid question. The H710 mini in my R720XD has not been flashed to IT mode. While I am waiting for payday to order one that has, I have a question. With the H710 mini not in IT mode, can I still use my drives separately without being in raid? If it helps, I will...
  14. R

R720xd nics

Thanks. I have a lot of learning to do. This layer 3 managed switch stuff is all BRAND NEW to me. Its a lot of fun messing with though. I plan to do some more reading on my down time at work tonight (I work 12 hour nights with a lot of down time)
  15. R

R720xd nics

My R720XD arrived today. While I’m gathering the rest of the stuff I want,I have a really important question. Can each network port on my R720xd be put in a seperate vlan? The reason I ask, is I want to put my 4 sfp+ 10gbe ports on my Aruba S2500 in one vlan, and my ip cameras in another vlan. I...
  16. R

Media Server CPU Upgrade (more cores or more clock speed)

My current Emby server runs a pair of E5-2680's @2.8 ghtz and 128 gigs of DDR3 and I'm looking to upgrade. My search has led me to both a pair of E5-2678W V2's @3.4 ghtz and a pair of E5-2697 V2's @2.7 ghtz. My choice comes down to more cores or more clock speed. Which is the better upgrade for...
  17. R

Threadripper with a Wraith Ripper in a 4U chassis?

Did you ever try this? If so, what happened. I ended up using a NH-U9-TR4-SP3.
  18. R

Backing up for cheap

When you say you can't do full computer backups, can you elaborate?
  19. R

Inter-tech IPC-4420 RAILS

i’m not sure where to put this. If is in the wrong place, mods please move it. With that out of the way, I just took delivery of a Inter-Tech 20 bay IPC-4420. The catch is when I ordered it, the Inter-Tech rails were out of stock, and still out of stock. The StarUSA TC-RAIL-26 rails are in stock...
  20. R

Strange problem with highpoint R750

Double good news. First, the CORRECT cable saved the day. Not only does the card work, but windows picked up the drive with the same drive letter and all data is intact. Second, while waiting for the correct cables to arrive, I also heard back from the seller. They choose not to investigate the...