Search results

1. P

Advice for new build - Minecraft and home server lab

Getting that long a view distance on Minecraft might not be possible. Default on recent releases is 10-12, I haven't heard of trying to run much higher than 16 on a server. Minecraft likes single core performance and cache. 12GB of RAM might honestly be too much. It depends on whether you play...
  2. P

Homelab Upgrade

If it is for a server you probably want the X10SRA-F. The non F model doesn't have onboard graphics and the E5 Xeon doesn't have graphics on board either so you would need a video card. I'm guessing you just left off the version, but you will need an E5-2650 v3. The memory looks right, all the...
  3. P

SAS HBA under 200-150 dollars?

The Adaptec card tends to run hot and will require direct cooling in most cases in a home server. What drives are you connecting and what do you plan to use in the future? Spinning disks pretty much topped out at SAS1 speeds, so any card is going to be adequate for those. If you don't plan on...
  4. P

Need suggestions for a server platform

If I were building something right now.... Supermicro X10SRL-f Socket 2011 v3 board with tons of expandability, not seeing any good deals on eBay often goes for ~$150, or the X10sri-f has a full x16 slot. Both have 8 ram slots, so you can get 64GB now and fill in the other slots later. Xeon...
  5. P

Proxmox VE raid 1/ZFS?

Definitely option 1. The Proxmox installer has the option to setup ZFS, it is very easy. I would honestly just leave out the 16GB Optane drive. It only works at PCI-e 3.0 x2 and the write speed is a pretty poor 145 MB/s. Though one interesting use for it could be as storage for the Minecraft...
  6. P

Napp IT for proxmox?

No harder than everything else up to this point. I imagine there is a way to do it directly on the host but I decided to move my shares to an LXC container to keep things separated. Setup a container with your preferred flavor of Linux and install the packages for an NFS server. There is also a...
  7. P

Napp IT for proxmox?

It is really going to depend on your setup. I have only done it once so by no means an authority here, Google is your friend as always. Shutdown everything using the pools, I doubt Napp-it has an export function in the GUI so you probably need to jump into the command line, then simply "zpool...
  8. P

Napp IT for proxmox?

I moved from ESXi + Napp-IT to Proxmox last year. I actually forgot to export my pools, but after I installed Proxmox I just attached the drives and the pools were recognized and I could import them. Was super easy. Then just created an LXC container for SMB sharing and mounted the pools to it.
  9. P

Home Rack Ideas

What are the dimensions of the closet? I doubt you will find anything that is wall mounted and 25" deep. You could possibly find an old 2 post rack and mount it to the floor leaving 25" off the back wall. Or is the closet is too narrow you can get just the vertical rails, do a little framing...
  10. P

Replacing a ZFS Drive Something Seems Wrong

Exporting didn't work. So I forcibly shut down the server. Pulled the degraded drive plus the new one, rebooted and the pool looked normal with the bad drive marked as offline. Did a zpool clear, then added the replacement drive back in. Wiped the new drive and reran the replace command...
  11. P

Replacing a ZFS Drive Something Seems Wrong

I have a ZFS array attached to my Proxmox host for media and general storage. One of the drives had a large number of relocated sectors and came up faulted so I got a replacement. Ran the replace command but the completion percentage hasn't moved since I started and the ETA goes up and up. I...
  12. P

1U server with space for 12 - 3.5" hard drives (+ 1- 2.5" hd) via eBay

Looks like a precious generation of the Quanta 1U's that came up recently https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/xeon-d-1541-quanta-storage-servers-on-ebay.27910/ My biggest concern would be depth, I asked and the seller says its 32.5" deep Looks like a standard ATX board. I wonder...
  13. P

Lenovo ThinkCentre M710q Tiny Guide and CE Review

I'm sure it has been asked a dozen times, but are there plans for a consolidated list with recommendations? Maybe a nice matrix with key specs, prices, and a should/shouldn't buy rating?
  14. P

Need a CPU Cooler/Heatsink recommendation for an upgrade

If noise isn't a concern best bet is probably teh Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4. You can usually get them used for pretty cheap, just make sure it comes with the narrow ILM bracketry.
  15. P

Normal PSU for Supermicro Server

It's on page 2-21 on the linked manual. My suggestion would be to get a 24 pin extension cable so you don't have to take apart the cables on the PSU you want to use, maybe an EPS 8 pin extension cable or a GPU one, and a depinning tool. Reuse the connector from the chassis and attach it to the...
  16. P

Normal PSU for Supermicro Server

What motherboard are you using? When I looked up the 1017GR-TF server it shows the X9SRG-F board. Went and found the manual for the board https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C600/MNL-1320.pdf And it shows a 20pin power connector (JPW1) that uses a nonstandard pinout with mostly 12v...
  17. P

Building a Lab Part 3 Configuring VMWare ESXI and TrueNAS Core

Am I missing something, or is the section about ZFS absent from the article? "Before continuing the configuration, we must first talk about ZFS"
  18. P

[Free] - HP C3000 Blade Chassis with blades and Supermicro 833 Chassis with A1SRi-2558F - DC, Maryland, Virginia area

I am happy to take it off your hands, messaged you yesterday just waiting to hear back.
  19. P

Hardware Failures in 2020 - Post yours!

I had a similar failure a month or so back. My home server has a mirrored rpool and one of the Intel drives went out. Though mine are ancient 40gb Intel 320's :p Fortunately I had a spare.
  20. P

Need recomendations on new server componants

Just a thought... It sounds like you don't need much processing power from the CPU. Your current i3 supports ECC ram and VT-d, which is what you need for PCI-e pass through. So in you could simply get a new motherboard that supports VT-d and some new ram to go with it. Only issue is none of the...