Search results

1. H

Folding table

What's a good folding table for doing PC work? I've got a work room where all my computers live; unfortunately the only folding table I have is one of those awful resin ones. I've you've ever used one, the surface just exudes static. When I want to work on a computer I have to drag it into...
  2. H

What is the deal with this motherboard?

So I've been finding this thing and its variants all over the place on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/x99-Dual-CPU-Motherboards-Socket-LGA-2011-3-Dual-NVMe-M-2-8-DDR4-Up-mainboard/154101112287?hash=item23e1245ddf:g:bngAAOSw0KtfbDTP Some for as little as $100. I cannot identify an actual...
  3. H

Mountainmod Cases

Has anyone bought one of these before? https://www.mountainmods.com/index.php They sell a wide variety of custom cases and, so far as I can tell, may in fact be the only people in the world who make a case that fits my highly unique requirements. But before I blow $500 on a case, I'd love to...
  4. H

Long distance USB?

I have my tower in one room and my desk in another. I've finally worked out the video systems so that works perfectly, but I am now having a tough time making USB work reliably. It used to work ok, but lately anything USB 3.0 just doesn't want to go. I can't seem to find a happy medium between...
  5. H

Weird heat discrepancy

So I'm not sure if I was having this problem before, but I just had to re-load windows and reloaded speccy as well and left it running for a bit. My motherboard is reporting some strange discrepancies regarding temperatures. Asus Z10pe-D16-WS 2x Xeon E5-2643 v3s 64gb RAM(2x 32gb) 2x nVidia GTX...
  6. H

Please help me RCA this

All right, I'm going to describe a series of events, and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what the heck happened. First, my workstation: Windows 10 Asus Z10pe-D16-WS 2x Xeon E5-2643 v3s 64gb RAM(2x 32gb) 2x nVidia GTX 1070 ti LSI Logic SAS9260-8I SGL Raid 8PORT Int 6GB SAS/sata Pcie...
  7. H

Android Desktop PC?

This is a dumb place to ask but maybe someone on the vault knows: Does there exist a device that runs android(and can thus install android "apps" but just works like a desktop PC with a monitor/keyboard/mouse? Reason I ask - I have approximately umpteen million stupid IoT devices and no smart...
  8. H

Wake on LAN isn't OS-independant?

This may be a dumb question; but my understanding of the Wake on LAN protocol was that it's OS-independent and hardware-based. It should be able to remotely turn on a computer even if it has no hard disk/SSD/boot drive of any kind attached. This is how I recall being told it worked and how I...
  9. H

I may have just enacted the dumbest workaround in history

So I have a weird multi-monitor/multi-computer workstation. I use an old data center cat5 KVM for keyboard/mouse, then an array of switchers and splitters to drive the monitors. Don't ask why(only madness lies in that direction). Anyway, everything was working great until the remote for my core...
  10. H

SABERTOOTH Z77 question

Hi folks, Probably a silly question, but... I have this old Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 in one of my machines. The spec sheet from Asus: SABERTOOTH Z77 | Motherboards | ASUS USA proudly proclaims "Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology", yet has only 3 PCI3-x16 slots(2, technically, one is a 4x...
  11. H

Better cable testing?

Hi folks, So I have a patch panel on my rack at home, which I use for LAN and a KVM-over-cat5. When I was first doing all the runs, I tested them with a standard cable tester(the kind with the little tights) and they checked out fine. Then when I actually started spinning up systems, about half...
  12. H

HP Smart Array P410 boot loop

Hi folks, I am attempting to install an HP Smart Array P410 RAID card in my workstation. Eventually I plan to boot off of a SAS RAID array on the card, but since I haven't got the cables to hook it to the drives yet, I thought I'd simply pop the card in and boot windows off of the existing...
  13. H

Long HDMI cable runs

Hi folks, I'm new to the forums and didn't see anywhere to introduce myself or anywhere that looked like a better for, so I figured I'd try here. I'm sure I'll fit right in with all the weird things I do. Anywho. I'm presently attempting to upgrade the hardware in my main workstation and have...