Search results

1. D

Suggestions for Asus X99WS IPMI Channel A DIMM doesn't detect properly

I bought an Asus X99-WS IPMI off eBay. It seems to be working great except for one issue... Channel A DIMM doesn't detect properly. From the SPD diagnostics, it would seem that the board knows that a DIMM is there, but it seems to be unusable. Not working (A1): Imgur Working (B1): Imgur Tried...
  2. D

Does SAS cable brand matter?

Need some new SAS-8643 breakout cables, and I've never given any real thought to branding, so I thought to ask here. Looking on eBay, Newegg/Amazon, you have the following selection (shipped prices for 0.5-0.75m): Coboc , $11 eBay generic, $13-15 Cable Matters, $18 iStarUSA, $21 Areca, $45...
  3. D

Small chassis with official SSI EEB support?

A lot of SSI-EEB workstation chassis have a bunch of 3.5" and even 5.25" bays, which are useless for my needs. Was wondering if there was any SSI-EEB chassis in a small form factor (<40L). This Rosewill case isn't made anymore, and GN has the build quality is 'disappointing'...
  4. D

WTB: 8GB FB-DIMM, S604/771 Heatsink/Fan, Old Workstation Boards

Looking for: * 8GB FB-DIMM PC2-5300F sticks * Intel reference Socket 604/771 Heatsink/Fan or similar heatsink/fan that can mount a standard case fan. * Older dual Xeon/Opteron workstation boards. I define workstation boards as either having an AGP slot or at least 2x PCI-Express 16x slots for...
  5. D

Server 2016 Hyper-V Host with Linux iSCSI Target

Looking to host some virtual machines to serve our local lab. Is it possible to have Windows Server 2016 host (running mostly Linux/some Windows VM's) with a storage backend of Ubuntu LTS with mdadm/vroc parity raid using iSCSI targets? I've found administering KVM to be a PITA (Windows Server...
  6. D

AMD Epyc (Dell 7415) and NVME Storage

Saw this article here: https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7000-series-platform-level-features/ I want to confirm as to how NVME RAID will work. NVME is attached via PCIe (directly to the CPU). This means a hardware RAID card is being bypassed and therefore not necessary (I suppose it could...
  7. D

Difference between Broadcom/LSI 9361 and 9261

Aside from the fact the 9361 has a faster SoC, more memory, and 12G SAS using SFF-8643, is there any other noticeable differences? I'm mostly concerned from data integrity aspect. I have a 5 year old 9266-8i + BBU right now and seeing if it is worth upgrading.
  8. D

Switching from Windows based Storage/Transcode Server to Ubuntu Advice

My home storage/transcode server (mostly media) is Windows Server 2012 R2 based using a SuperMicro X10 board/Xeon E5 v3/LSI 9260-8i with 8x 4TB drives in HW RAID6. I actually migrated the setup from Windows Server 2008 and initially SuperMicro X7 board/4x 1TB drives. So the design/implementation...
  9. D

FS: Gone

Gone ------------------ My Feedback Heatware under same username. Payment Paypal/Crypto. If you have no solid feedback and need to pay with Paypal, I ask you pay via friends/family. Shipping USPS Priority with applicable insurance. ------------------
  10. D

E3 Xeon Motherboard with Transcoding and IPMI?

At home I have a combo storage/transcode (Emby)/VM server running a Haswell E3 Xeon on a Supermicro X10 something. It works great... except that it automatically disables the iGPU. I'm still using Windows Server 2012 R2 with a LSI 9261-8i RAID-6 with 8 drives in RAID-6. With my current data...
  11. D

FS/T, Everything Sold (Wanted: Vintage HW/Money)

I have references on Heatware (same name), which is a feedback system that serves consumer forums like HardOCP and Anandtech. Everything Sold. PM me if you need Intel 10/40G NIC's, as I can get those occasionally. Do not expect any manufacturer warranty; I will give 30 day return time window...
  12. D

Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR compatibility

I recently bought one of these on eBay (AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR) for what I thought to be a good deal. They use the LSI 2108 chip and seem to be physically identical to the LSI 9260-8i. My question is: are these adapters compatible with standard LSI controllers? E.g. if there is an adapter failure...