Search results

1. 6

How does a HBA IT card affect boot order with on-board drives?

Hello! I have an ASRock Z370 motherboard that boots up from a M.2 SSD drive and I would like to add a HBA IT card to expand my storage capacity with mechanical hard drives. Would the HBA IT card take priority over the M.2 drive clicked into my motherboard? I am booting to Windows 11 and this...
  2. 6

Accessing Quanta LB4M 48-port switch configuration

I recently pulled a Quanta LB4M 48-port switch from an electronics recycling bin. It seems to work as a regular switch. I tested this by connecting port 1 of the switch to my home Wi-Fi router. The router identified this switch as "Network Device" and gave it an IP address. I can check the...
  3. 6

Server 2019 - Going beyond 16 cores, what happens?

I've been reading on how Microsoft licenses Server 2019. The standard package comes with a 16 core license. What happens when you upgrade your two 8-core CPUs to two 12-core CPUs for a total of 24 cores? Are the 8 extra cores disabled or "parked"? I suppose that's where someone would need four...
  4. 6

Trying to figure out basic account/computer based sharing. Help?

Thanks! A few questions. :) Can this be accomplished through a GUI based tool? Do I have to use a static IP address? The instructions reference a DNS. I personally don't have a DNS. Do I need the DNS from my service provider? -=- Boris
  5. 6

Thanks! I tried Google searching how to do this hoping I would find a step by step guide. Can you by chance point me to a well respected reference? -=- Boris
  6. 6

I'm trying to configure file sharing in my home network and I am having problems establishing specific permissions for specific accounts. This isn't a mission critical application or anything. I just want to learn how to manage something like this. I have a Windows Server 2019 machine called...
  7. 6

Slow ATTO benchmark performance, =>1MB xfer size

I have 3 x 600 GB drives in my ProLiant ML350p Gen 8 server configured as a RAID 0 array. RAID 0 is suppose to give the fastest R/W performance and I wanted to try it just to see it. I understand the lack of fault tolerance, etc. I used ATTO to benchmark the array. R/W performance steadily...
  8. 6

Stuff a ML350p Gen8 with drives - best approach?

Hello again Evan! :) eBay has 1 TB 2.5” drives from various manufacturers starting at $40-ish dollars. A genuine HP 1.2 TB drive for my Gen 8 server is starts closer to $90. Granted, it’s probably a faster and better drive. -=- Boris
  9. 6

ProLiant ML350p Gen 8 Multiple GPU Compatibility

Hi Evan, Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am aware of the 10-pin to 8-pin cable adapter. A few different vendors sell aftermarket units in the $20-$30 range. -=- Boris
  10. 6

Stuff a ML350p Gen8 with drives - best approach?

I am currently running a single Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive connected directly to a SATA port on the motherboard. The server has one SAS/SATA 8-bay SFF cage in box position 1 (bottom) but it is empty. Box positions 2 and 3 don't have any array cages - just a big empty hole concealed with a...
  11. 6

ProLiant ML350p Gen 8 Multiple GPU Compatibility

I'd like to install a somewhat powerful GPU card in my ML350p Gen 8. HP's documentation lists a few Quadro and Tesla cards as being certified compatible. I can't imagine installing a modern Nvidia 1080 Ti or 2070 Super wouldn't work ... but, maybe it wouldn't because of some funky design element...
  12. 6

ProLiant ML350p G8 - throttled processor?

I fired up my freshly acquired new-to-me ML350p G8 server and installed Server 2016 on it. The server has two E5-2640 V2 processors. After the OS was installed I ran Geekbench 5 and HW Monitor to make sure I am getting full power out of the processors. Unfortunately, I was not. The clock rate...
  13. 6

Server 2016 vs 2019 vs Win 10

@Marsh Thanks for this! You are a fountain of knowledge, tips, and good tricks. :) I downloaded the ISO images last night. They are much bigger than I thought. Looks like I need to order some dual layer DVDs to hold the image. The server needs a new optical drive too. It can only handle...
  14. 6

Thanks for the replies! :) I posted the same question to HP's own forum and got a reply saying the Server 2016 drivers are incompatible with Server 2019. So, it looks like I can't run the latest and greatest on it. No big deal. @i386 Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't even think of running a...
  15. 6

Hi everyone. My name is Boris, from Nevada. This is my first post. :) I’m getting a ProLiant ML350p Gen 8 server soon. It will arrive next week. The system doesn’t have any drives so that means it doesn’t have an OS. I am looking for recommendations and feedback on which version I should...