Search results

1. K

Micron 7450 NVMes and Synology as cache

I gave up on trying to get it all working via Synology as well, here. There's probably some illegal request response to what is normally considered normal (or required) by Synology and whatever microcontroller logic there is in the IcyDock, etc. Synology Support did what they could, but...
  2. K

Yeah, hehe, it's the obvious thing for Linux boxes and there are lots of suggestions to do that. Synology, well, not so much. Way too black boxy, it seems. /etc/fstab mounts the volumes via dummy cache device or devices: # cat /etc/fstab none /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/root / ext4 defaults 1...
  3. K

Okay, some progress. I did end up plugging in my old NVMes to build a safer comparison, then put my Micron 7450 Pros back in. Looking at /usr/syno/flashcache.conf after creating a cache via the Firecudas, I can figure out where all the contents come from, and using logs, I can replicate some of...
  4. K

Depending on the NAS you have, they may not support use of the M.2 devices for storage pools/volumes at all. And in the case of using a carrier card like the E10M20-T1, it's (for some reason) never supported; just for use as cache. It's possible to do it via scripting/CLI, which I was able to...
  5. K

Sure! Collected and diff'ed both controllers and the namespace on each. Unfortunately, zero differences between each before/after. Here's the PCIe switch info: 01:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2824 PCIe Gen3 Packet Switch [1b21:2824] (rev 01) 02:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]...
  6. K

On my latter thoughts there, the cachedev device entries seem to be dummies and intended to just make cache creation in future easier (rather than having to restructure the array). Here's a comparison between my currently cacheless RS1221+ and a DS1515+ (with cache): RS1221+: dmsetup table...
  7. K

Hey All, I've been scratching my head at this for a bit. I posted this on Reddit, but really figure the experienced folks here will know better how to approach or troubleshoot this. It's proving elusive because I can't get any meaningful logging out of my Synology NAS, or the drives...
  8. K

IBM M1015 / LSI 9211-8i to 4x/8x SAS disks: Not spinning up?

Coming back after a long while - I had gotten things to work with too much of a combination of changes to really nail it down - I had a SAS12 gen card and the cables for it were molex-based. I wasn't able to reuse my existing SAS cables that natively had SAS power + data connectors integrated...
  9. K

Came across these two posts as well, but there wasn't anything more on it: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/ibm-m5015-experiences.397/page-9#post-48528 https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/ibm-m5015-experiences.397/page-9#post-49292 Same poor/suspect experience...
  10. K

I managed to snag a great deal on some 6TB Seagate 7200RPM nearline SAS drives, however I am having a really hard time getting them to spin up or be found by my IBM M1015 adapters when using SFF-8087 to SFF-8482 SAS cables. A friend of mine also has the same drives and cables (we got the cables...
  11. K

Brocade 1020 CNA 10GbE PCIe Cards

Here's a model that I assert will work - I have three or four Cisco SFP-H10GB-ACU7M active twinax cables (these come with transceivers terminating both ends). The 7M part is just the length. Here's a data sheet for Cisco: Cisco 10GBASE SFP Modules Data Sheet - Cisco Axiom has a bunch of them...
  12. K

Brocade 1020 CNA 10GbE PCIe Cards

Hey everyone. I got this working in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, but it definitely felt hacky. I'm sure that I'm not doing this the right way, but it works. My guess is that udev and/or the inbox driver for the brocade adapter is specifying the firmware file ctfw-3.2.1.0.bin, explicitly. Even if you...