Search results

1. W

Enterprise SSD/HDD price increases :-(

Totally agree, especially their idle power efficiency is unbeatable. But one moment you decide that you need 1.5TB cheap RAM, nvme backplane and 8*U.2 SSDs.
  2. W

"Weird" drives on Ebay - cheap bargains if you can work with them?

Last Netapp drive I bought was He12 with NA01 FW, 512b and it refused to accept generic FW and to be reformatted into 4k. Crap. I would rather buy Oracle or EMC version.
  3. W

$50: 1.9TB Micron 9200 Pro with Adapter

Don't worry, last time we saw these drives more than half a year ago their condition and price were exactly the same. We'll meet them again couple years later for sure! :D
  4. W

SAS drive medium format corrupted

try to reformat to a non standard sector size first, 4160 and then revert to 4096. It may take a while but drive will be forced to actually do something instead of just filling sectors with zeros without making any changes to the damaged layout.
  5. W

Changing block size IBM branded Micron S650DC-800 SSD

No, we only have the 'insides' Don't waste your time, this will not work
  6. W

SAS drive medium format corrupted

model and FW please
  7. W

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

There is a little hope of replacing the firmware, I believe you need B925 revision for this model, ask @napalm_atx if he has one to share.
  8. W

Inspur-branded LSI9300-8i for $50

Yes, Dell HBA330 doesn't have a heartbeat led
  9. W

I guess that seller already tried to format them hence a good price... Your LSI controller GUI doesn't look like an HBA, but 'unconfigured good' status means the drive is not security locked or formatted with PI. Try to format it with HUGO
  10. W

Depends on the firmware. They could be formattable to 512 with IBM controllers only OR they can be easily managed by any generic HBA. Give a try and share results Some IBM branded HGST drives that I have in possession arrived security locked, but easily reformattable once foreign security config...
  11. W

But yikes, Xeon 6140 for $30 is only 10% slower... :rolleyes:
  12. W

Prices already started climbing although you can still buy Gold 6132 twice as cheap as 2690v4. Servers availability for SP is a different story, 1U barebones price very seldom drops down to $200 but if you are lucky to get one, you'll get dual 10GbE (X550) or even 25GbE LOM for free (instead of...
  13. W

WD HDD Ultrastar DC HC520 HUH721212AL4205 12TB 3.5" SAS $76.89

think twice, only 2933 available at the moment
  14. W

your drives come from EMC Clariion storage and formatted with 520bps - you can tell this from the difference in size 1862 GB vs 1833 GB. You'll need an hba to reformat and reflash drives to stock firmware as described here
  15. W

Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

3 dimms per channel is always a severe loss in speed and you can do nothing about it
  16. W

$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Here, M*19 for 630. You'll need to install storage executive to send it to SSD
  17. W

WD Ultrastar incessant 5 second seek

That is how background medium scan works in Ultrastars. Loud head movement each 4-5 seconds. And that's why I prefer SAS drives. Disable BMS using sdparm and enjoy the silence.
  18. W

EXPIRED Micron 64GB PC4-2666V $49

This translates to 3TB per CPU, not every xeon is ready to cope with that amount of RAM
  19. W

Buying second hand server grade SSD's, should I be concerned?

I've never ever seen a Cisco drive with hard-locked to 520 bytes firmware or with limited functionality. Firmware packs available online, come in unencrypted .iso and cover hundreds of drive models. One of the home-lab friendliest vendor. Some of my HGST drives with cisco firmware I...