Search results

1. D

Datto Xeon D 1541 board -- $501.15 shipped + 6/8% ebay bucks for some

I also recently built a supermicro 1541 system w/ samsung evo 970 nvme, along with lasted ESXi, and didn't have any issues with the drive. edit: you just have to make sure your bios options are set correctly.
  2. D

WD 8TB external @ BB for $160

Thanks for this heads up! Saw this yesterday, after having purchased 3 about 1.5 weeks ago for $199 each. Went to the store I bought them at for a $130 credit for the price drop :)
  3. D

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

There's a new bios for the supermicro X10SDV series that is supposed to make M.2 SSDs bootable (specifically samsung SM951, and likely XP941). They just emailed me about it months after my initial email about there being a bug with it. I guess that's better than never emailing me.
  4. D

This guys site is the source of those ESXI drivers, ect. VMware Front Experience This is what I used when I was messing with it a while back: VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5 and 6.0 But the thread you linked is more straightforward...
  5. D

I bought mine here: X10SDV-F-O Supermicro Intel Xeon D-1540/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.0/ 2GbE/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo - Motherboards - CPU on Board - SuperBiiz.com
  6. D

Jim's Phreak of a mini-ITX AIO VM/Storage server

Supermicro never even replied to my email. Oh well... guess I'll have to wait until someone with connections to complain to them.
  7. D

Yeah, I agree on it being new, and things needing to be worked out. But these issues have been around for a while now - probably over a year. Here's an interesting article: Samsung XP941 & Plextor PX-G256 M6e M.2 Qualification - Puget Custom Computers If you scroll down to the "Motherboard...
  8. D

Yeah, I was a little confused about UEFI. I know there are options to boot off usb, hardrives, ect, in UEFI, in the boot tab. And I thought I tried them all. I had had it set to dual, with UEFI listed first, then legacy next for each device type. I just now set it to UEFI only, and redid the...
  9. D

Dunno, but most issues relating to M.2. SSD's are related to the BIOS and getting the manufacturer to add the proper support. The previous system I was playing with, the asrock E3C224D4I-14S, had issues booting M.2. SSDs as well. I opened a ticket and got the basic canned responses. So then I...
  10. D

Toshiba Enterprise 3TB SATA $85

I'll let you know once I get my system sorted out. I have them up and running, but not really doing much until I swap this system in place of my old one and move a ton of data to it.
  11. D

I finally got exsi to install to my xp941 w/ the X10SDV-F, but it wouldn't boot off it. The bios doesn't even seem to know that the M2 SSD exists... so it's likely not supported in the current bios.
  12. D

Okay, thanks for the reply. I know it's possible on some systems with these samsung M2 SSDs (they don't have option roms). I was just curious since I've tried a bunch of things in attempt to get it to work as a boot drive. I just updated the bios, but got the same results... so looks like I'll...
  13. D

Out of curiosity, are you booting off your SM951? I'm using a X10SDV-F motherboard. I have an XP941, and can't get ESXI or Windows 8.1 to install to it. I can boot esxi off usb and use it as a datastore (using a custom iso w/ the sata .vib additions). ESXI won't see it at installation, and...
  14. D

I ordered 4 x 5TB today for my unas system. Price / TB seemed too good to pass up, although I read these were on sale at microcenter for $140 about a month ago.
  15. D

I think you can also buy them brand new for $89 Amazon.com: Toshiba 5TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm, 128MB Cache, 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (PH3500U-1I72): Computers & Accessories Supposedly the retail disks are really the enterprise disks thrown in a box with a new part number on the outside (disks...
  16. D

Required cooling for X10SDV-F?

It definitely needs some cooling. I have the board right in a UNAS case, and bought a few different fans for it. Currently using a noctua NF-A9x14
  17. D

I don't have any guides, but my setup uses all synology applications that run on the NAS VM. It takes some research, and tinkering around. The biggest issue is each application creates it's own username, and for whatever reason, they use user ID's below a certain #, so the users become invisible...
  18. D

I just picked up the non-10GB lan one from suberbiiz earlier tonight. Also ordered a U-NAS NSC-800 tonight, and some DDR4. For my new esxi server/nas... when I didn't really need a new one, considering I just bought new hardware a couple months back... I'll be running xpeneology in one VM...
  19. D

Plextor M6e 521GB - $375

They don't work with VTd due to a marvell chipset bug. So if you're using VTd in esxi, avoid these... even if you're just using as a datastore drive, and passing through something else. I had to go out and buy a Samsung XP941 after finding out the issue.