Search results

1. C

Slightly concerned about Apollo Lake erratum -- expected degradation and early failure.

Hmm. It's still a little unclear, but Intel seems to have mostly walked the warning back about 6 months later. But it's a little unclear to what extent a real problem exists, whether the firmware update fixes it (if I even have that firmware update), and the e-series isn't mentioned as such...
  2. C

Slightly concerned about Apollo Lake erratum -- expected degradation and early failure.

Perhaps, but that's more trouble than booting a DOS usb live stick and running HWiNFO, so I'll try that first. Either way I need to configure a cold spare router on another multi-nic box that can reach the same switches; fortunately there's a candidate that's always on anyway so I should be able...
  3. C

Thanks. Interesting that they have two versions, but I can find documents from 2018 for both of those, so neither of them would seem to be response to this erratum.
  4. C

Use it how? It produces a very long data dump from a number of sources: but if it translates the CPUID info in a way that maps to intel stepping numbers, it's not in a way I'm able to spot. Edit: Ah. You're referring to the Windows/DOS utility HWiNFO, not linux "hwinfo".
  5. C

I'm running Linux on a Sophos SG115v3 as a core router (SOHO), and not clear on whether I've got a ticking time bomb. The notification about an update to this particular CPU (e3940) was issued March 2019, my unit's build date is June 2019. It'd be nice to imagine that any unit built 2-3...
  6. C

Toshiba 14TB SATA $238 Brand New ($0.017 per GB)

Still there -- slightly cheaper even -- and their Amazon store has it for a similar price. Meanwhile, that exact model number doesn't correspond to anything Toshiba sells; though it's possible it's truncated (trailing Y removed) in both listings...
  7. C

Intel Drivers for many older motherboards, RAID cards ect were recerntly deleted!

I got a little lucky locating an intact archive copy of the BIOS I needed by way of the wayback machine; it actually seems to have archived some of these binaries directly from intel.com. With a little fiddling around I was able to come up with an archive.org download URL that produced the...
  8. C

HP T730: $129.40 (shipped)

How's the airflow in these? Tempted to get one and stick in a spare HP NC364T (quad e1000 NIC), but the reason it's spare is because I was running it in a ThinITX with only a processor fan, and it got hot enough to grill pork chops. The i350s run a lot cooler but I don't have any more lying around.
  9. C

BestBuy - 12TB Easystore USB HDD - $180

"Nobody is reporting" is an interesting claim, as it seems to imply that you're familiar with every report, made by everyone, everywhere. Anyway, for whatever it's worth, here's what a Redditor got back when they actually asked WD. Spoiler: they declined to answer: WD response + 12TB...
  10. C

Red Hat buys CoreOS in kubernetes container ecosystem play

Well. Two years is a very long time in this industry, and for someone coming to it cold, the state of their documentation is ridiculous. When I go to their website I see an announcement of something that occurred in, relatively speaking, the bronze age; coupled to what appears to be a choice...
  11. C

Aren't some users reporting finding shingled drives in some of these? Honestly I think WD feels free to just put whatevs in these enclosures, whereas when it comes to the Reds they have a published spec to uphold.
  12. C

Your regular reminder that the claimed 7200 RPM speed is false, shuckers typically report 5400 drives in these.
  13. C

Home cabling Cat7/8 and or Fibre?

Yeah, there's other uncited stuff in there, like Except when they aren't. For example I've got cases of Panduits in various lengths that are solid conductor, I know because I've cut up a bunch of 7'ers to make 2', 2' and 3' for patch panel use. (And you can always tell by feel anyway.)...
  14. C

As long as we're nerding out about cables, this (uncited) text appears in that wikipedia page linked above: Is this right? I was taught that you do not want to mix them in the same installation because they may be directly joined, e.g. plugging a T568B cable into a wall jack that terminates a...
  15. C

As someone who just yesterday fished 100' of wire through and wallspace and crawlspace (cough cough) for an outside camera, get the stuff with the plastic separator core. It's a little fiddlier to crimp your own connectors on the ends but the fact that it doesn't kink while you're tugging it...
  16. C

Enterprise routers/firewall vs pfSense

For a few years my router was containerized on a linux platform that I used for a number of networking purposes. One thing that helped mitigate the kind of situation you're referring to is a second machine on the network, plumbed into the switch fabric the same way, that carried a copy of that...
  17. C

Documenting your network

Good thought. Most of the suggestions involve the cloud, which I'm just a little bit allergic to for privacy and data-mining reasons; self-hosting appeals to me more. Ran my own instance of MoinMoin for most of a decade and I can't believe I'd forgotten that until this moment. Also the...
  18. C

Documenting your network

So I'm well past the point where I can keep it all in my head, and only with some effort and a bit of walking between rooms can work it out by direct observation and fooling with the managed switch UIs... So I'm mostly scrawling and erasing a diagram in a notebook to keep track of what ports of...
  19. C

What server is STH running on

I was hoping it was CERN httpd running on NeXTSTEP
  20. C

Tuning igb and e1000e drivers for a 1GbE appliance -- any point?

And while I'm on the subject, one of the built-in NICs is an 82579LM, and this port also used by the mobo for MEBx/AMT, i.e. it's the notorious Intel Management Engine port. This NIC was, for no reason that I can detect, occasionally dropping to 10Mbps and staying there: only reinitializing it...