Search results

1. A

Napp-it Offsite Drives, Keep-Hold, Source-Target

I have 4x 2.5” backup HDD, which I split into 2 pairs. I rotate a pair from the server with a pair offsite. I would like some help on Keep/Hold settings, to ensure there is always a snap pair for replication. I would like to just keep 2 replication snaps on the Target pools (as default, in...
  2. A

ZFS Clone job

Hi, I am looking for some direction on creating a job in napp-it for Cloning file systems. I would like to setup a VM to download and continually update a folder/drive for Win10 games and for that folder/drive to be available for a number of other virtual and physical machines, each able to...
  3. A

ESXi AiO VM backed on NFS slow r/w

Hi, I am in the process of setting up 10Gbe on my network, the process hasn't been straight forward, but I'm poring over forums trying to get the best out of my All-in-One server. The trouble I'm having is with VMs on the same server only reading & writing at 1Gb/s, when physical connections to...
  4. A

ESXi 7 - USB boot drive alternatives

I recently read that it is the end of the road for USB boot drives for ESXi 7. I was ready to upgrade my Homelab from 6.7 to 7.0 and I am now considering what to install ESXi on to. I have passed through my onboard SATA controller to a storage VM (OmniOS), so I have no onboard ports available. I...
  5. A

Looking for mATX DDR3 Motherboard & CPU for ESXi 6.7U3

Hi all, My backup server does its job well, but is old (Xeon X3450 & X8SIL-F) and only compatible with ESXi up to version 6.5 and I would like to use 6.7U3 for consistency with my main server. It will be running the following VMs: - OmniOS/napp-it (on IBM M1015 + 4x SSD) - windows 2019...
  6. A

Replacement options for WD 3TB WD30EFRX in 8xZ2

I am looking for suggestions on what I should replace my WD 3TB WD30EFRX Red drives with for minimal cost. I have a ZFS RaidZ2 pool (omnios/napp-it) which replicates my main filer pool as a disaster recovery. I also have a backup outside the building. My main filer pool is 4x 8TB WD80EZAZ...
  7. A

Cannot delete file as root - in use / permission denied - Solved

Hi, I have just come across a file I cannot delete from my omnios/napp-it server. its a an MSOffice installer img file. I first tried deleting from the desktop machine it was created (folder redirection) it said file open in another programme I then shut down the desktop and tried deleting it...
  8. A

Backing up to an External HDD

What is the suggested method for reliably replicating filesystems to a removable external USB HDD? I just tried to replicate a number of ZFS filing systems to a USB connected 5TB 2.5" HDD and midway through the replication, the drive reported errors and now I can't remove the new pool it is/was...
  9. A

Only Domain Master Browser sees SMB shares in Windows Network folder

I have spent a few days trying to figure this out and I am on the verge of giving up and just using Mapped drives, Libraries, Quick access etc. On the same subnet, I have Domain connected servers, clients and SMB shares; and also Workgroup PCs. The servers are Windows Server 2019 The clients...
  10. A

2nd Domain Controller, or vMotion / HA

It’s a small network, but for redundancy, I have 2 Domain Controllers on separate hosts. The secondary DC is useful when I’m rebooting and making changes to the main server. Could I effectively get rid of the secondary DC and instead use vMotion or vSphere HA to achieve the same results? So if...
  11. A

Napp-in-One integrate into Domain

I am trying to integrate Napp-it/OmniOS into my domain to share files & folders. For years, I had been sharing files & folders from large virtual disks attached to a Windows Server VM (SBS2011). This was easy to set up, but I would like to take advantage of the benefits of sharing files &...
  12. A

AOC-SHG3-4M2P (4x M.2 NVMe PLX Switch) errors - BIOS settings?

I am wondering if BIOS settings on my Supermicro X11-SCA-F motherboard (BIOS 1.2), are causing problems with my AOC-SHG3-4M2P (4x NVMe M.2 PLX switch). Perhaps power saving settings? I previously installed an AOC-SHG3-4M2P into PCIe slot 6 of my Supermicro X11-SCA-F. I fitted 2x M.2 NVMe...
  13. A

ZFS filesystem sync compr dedup settings

Hopefully this is an easy question for more experienced users. I have used Napp-it for many years, but never tried deduplication, compression or changing the sync-write settings. All-in-One for home use ESXI 6.7 OmniOS r151032e / Napp-it 19.12a1 noncommercial homeuse (will upgrade to pro soon...
  14. A

Best practice, Windows Server Roles

I am in the process of setting up my small home network and I would like to know, on which of my 4x server VMs should I enable the following roles: Windows Admin Server Print Server (4x ethernet connected printers/scanners) WSUS Server (4x WinSrv2019, 1xWinSrv2012, 10x Win10 VMs, 10x Win10...
  15. A

Virtual Desktops for Home Use

My question is about which Windows Operating Systems to use for virtual desktops on a esxi home server for family use (gaming & productive): Windows 10 Pro, or Windows Server 2019, or other? I planned to use Windows 10 Pro, as I have a number of licences. I have not yet activated the Windows 10...
  16. A

9400-16i maximum NVMe drives

I bought a 9400-16i, but it hasn't arrived yet (US-UK). The 9400-16i 'Product Brief' describes the board as being capable of 8 no. direct attached NVMe drives at PCIe x2 and the controller is capable of supporting 24 no. NVMe drives. In the meantime, I have been in discussion with Broadcom and...
  17. A

Xeon E [All-in-One] Server Build

Build’s Name: All-in-One for Home/Office Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi / OmniOS / Napp-it / Win Server & Win 10 VMs CPU: Xeon E-2278G Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S & Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Motherboard: Supermicro X11SCA-F Chassis: Zalman M1000-HS1, 15x HDD (3x 5x3.5” bays), 1x Icy Dock...