Search results

1. R

Thoughts on the Lenovo ThinkCenter m920q for virtualization and low noise/power?

Greetings all, I am looking for a small (portable), quiet, and low-power PC to run VMWare ESXi. I run a bunch of VMs to develop DevOps code and need a PC with 6-8 CPUs, 64G RAM, and NVMe support. My virtualization tool of choice is VMWare, but I could do Proxmox or XCP-NG as well. I have a...
  2. R

Need help with VMWare licensing

Greetings all, I am a little overwhelmed by the VMWare licensing options and need some help figuring out which licenses (and how many) I need for my upcoming dev environment. We will be running 8x compute servers - each with 2x 10-Core E5-2697v2 CPUs, 256G RAM, and USB boot. We need vCenter...
  3. R

LSI 9460-8i vs 9560-8i

Greetings all, Looking for any real-world experience with either the LSI 9460-8i or LSI 9560-8i with multiple NVMe drives in RAID-5. According to LSIs documenation (Product brief for the 9500 controllers): However, it does not say how much faster (if any) the 9560 is compared to the 9460 in...
  4. R

mdadm - Production best practices

Greetings all, Looking to put mdadm for the first time into production and am looking for some best practices. I have used it in the past for non-production work, but a production install absolutely requires rock-solid uptime, reliability, and performance. Background: I have 4x NFS servers in...
  5. R

Good source for VLP DIMMs?

Greetings all, A few years back, we purchased two 14-bay Supermicro Chassis with some B9DRi and B10DRi blades. At the time, it was a great way to add high-density computing to our racks. Fast forward a couple of years and it seems the VLP memory is very expensive (and hard to find) for these...
  6. R

Inexpensive 40G NIC for VMWare home lab?

Greetings all, Looking for pair of inexpensive 40GbE NICs for my VMWare home lab (2x servers running 6.5u3). The servers currently have dual-port 10G NICs, and I would like to bump them to 40G. I already have 40G DACs from a previous setup. This will be pure Ethernet - no InfiniBand. I saw...