Search results

1. Y

Hi. Saw an old post of yours for this ram: M393A4K40DB3-CWE It was $140 at that time (I assume...

Hi. Saw an old post of yours for this ram: M393A4K40DB3-CWE It was $140 at that time (I assume CAD). Do you still have any left and if so how many? I need 8 and am in Toronto. Thanks.
  2. Y

Not a good deal (Intel DC P3600 800 GB NVMe U2 $200 on eBay)

Did you wind up buying that Samsung PM983 from China? How is the drive? Is it really brand new, with no hours or data used on the drive? The firmware is older than other ones I've seen on eBay and the Manufacturer date is also old, Apr. 2018 as opposed to 2018 Dec or 2019 Jan that I've found...
  3. Y

Dual AMD EPYC 7742 workstation build

Sure, however I believe I've already alleviated the vrm issue by repositioning the extra fans to be more direct to the heatsink. I had it running overnight and didn't wake up to an alarm or any throttling. VrmCpu* temps got to 95C which is still high but that's probably the best i can do without...
  4. Y

Actually here's a thread we were both involved in: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/dual-epyc-7742-and-stockfish.27053/ As you can see he was using 8x 32GB 3200MHz ram and still got 275,000 kNps. Best I can do is like 200,000 and I think I only got that once by some fluke...
  5. Y

Oh one more thing. Do you think that having only 8 of the 16 memory slots filled would cause my benchmarks to be so low? I don't think so since I believe I saw on this site that Patrick was testing stockfish or asmFish with 8 dimms and I just can't come close to that. Also found this...
  6. Y

Thanks alex_stief, and for the picture as well! This will really help I'm sure. I will probably order one of these since I already use Noctua coolers: Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (40x10mm). The link you included to your build is also very informative. I'm almost sure I won't be...
  7. Y

I already have the top of the case all covered with 3 fans. Tried pull/push but same issue. And how do you mean add fans under the cpu coolers on top of the vrm heatsinks? I don't remember now but I think the vrm's were above the cpu's/coolers and I believe that's where I have the 2 fans...
  8. Y

Thanks for the replies guys. But you misunderstood my point. I wasn't blaming the case but the motherboard design. I mentioned the case and fans to explain that it has as good as airflow as I can give it without splitting into some of the fan headers to be able to add more fans. I have two fans...
  9. Y

I have this exact motherboard, dual 7742s and using 8x 3200MHz ram with dual Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 coolers inside a Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P case. The coolers barely fit as the fins are slightly pressed against the rear of the drive bay but otherwise fit just fine. No issues...
  10. Y

AMD Epyc, memory and motherboards

Why wouldn't DDR4-2666 post as you had expected? This motherboard supports it. I too have DDR4-2133 Micron ram (8x8GB 1R 2133) in my E5 Xeon system so I am wondering now if they'll also work with the dual Epyc 7742 on the H11DSi-NT board I plan to get soon? What do you think? At least I could...
  11. Y

H11DSi-NT and octal channel memory

I was trying to get 2R since most people and websites say 2R gives better performance. When I was building my dual E5-2696v3 system a chess friend say it's better to use 1R but I don't remember now if he was speaking generally or specific to chess. I will be using it for chess and if you say 1R...
  12. Y

Guys. What if I just got eight 16GB dual rank 3200MHz RDIMMs? Would that give me octal channel memory or do I still need all 16 RDIMMs? The reason I ask is because in my dual E5-2696v3 I have octal channel memory using single rank memory (1R) populating all 8 RDIMMs. So wouldn't I get octal...
  13. Y

Man. I didn't know getting 16x16GB, 2R @ 3200MHz RDIMM was going to be so difficult. Seems like my only choice is to go through one of 3 shady looking european sites (only 3 for 16GB, the rest are 32GB). Not sure this is where I want to send $2000 and hope I get what I ordered. And if there's...
  14. Y

Yes thanks. I was going to update my post...that's the only one I could find but the cheapest I found is $200 each...16 x $200 (plus shipping, duty/broker fees) will be $3300 CAD at minimum (closer to $3500 after all said and done)! That's out of the question for me...No way I want to spend...
  15. Y

Ok, so you're saying I should just go with any 16 dual rank modules of 3200MHz @ 16 GB even though there aren't any that Supermicro tested successfully? If 16 don't work then down-clock them and if that still doesn't work sell them (at a lower cost) and try other brand of 2666MHz that's on their...
  16. Y

I don't think they update the manual at all - they just update the product page and anything they've tested (RAM). If you look at this Gigabyte page link you can see that being able to use 3200MHz in 8 DIMM's or less is common but not more than 8 DIMMs. And this link (Under "Get the Memory...
  17. Y

Just open the link here: Key Features 1. Dual AMD EPYC™ 7001/7002* Series Processors (*AMD EPYC 7002 series drop-in support requires board revision 2.x) 2. 2TB Registered ECC DDR4 2666MHz SDRAM in 16 DIMMs 4TB Registered ECC DDR4 3200MHz SDRAM in 8 DIMMs (Board revision 2.x required)
  18. Y

@alex_stief If I go with 3200MHz ram then I can only fill 8 dimm's (it tells you this under Features) which means it won't give me octal channels. And if I go with 16x16 GB 2666MHz dimms then it may not work because this ram is only tested with Naples not Rome and I won't be able to return the...
  19. Y

That's the only manual Supermicro has, straight from their website: H11DSi-NT | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc. Thanks for confirming there's no other way to get octal channel memory. They do have a "Tested Memory List" at the link above but the smallest listed for the Rome cpu is 32...
  20. Y

If I'm understanding the Supermicro manual for this motherboard correctly the only way I can get octal channel memory with dual epyc 7742 cpu's is to populate ALL 16 dimm slots with ram as long as the ram is 2666MHz or less (only 8 DIMMs can be used with 3200MHz). Can someone confirm if this...