Search results

1. P

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Thanks for the lead! I'm heading right over there.
  2. P

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. The aim is eventually to put the quad NIC back in (...it's in the post) but I guessed that starting with just the one physical connection would keep it as simple as possible. Yes, I believe I do just want to use it as a switch and let pfsense do the...
  3. P

Thanks, i think I'm already doing some of your suggestions.......... I was running a virtual pfsense on an Unraid server. It had a quad port nic passed through to it and each vlan had a physical connection to the switch. Another part of my "change down" was to have a dedicated low power...
  4. P

Hi, I'm back with my baby steps with the 6450 and needing a little help please... I'm more than a little embarassed that I can't sort this myself, so please be gentle! The back story for those who haven't seen my earlier posts is that I've swapped out my HP2910al for the ICX, mainly for noise...
  5. P

All done! It went on rails once able to get the "factory set-default" to run. Thanks again to all, particularly to Jon/Fohdeesha for the facility and a beer/coffee token is inbound! Paul
  6. P

Gents, thanks for your ongoing help..... its early morning here in the UK and I'm going to have to bale! Progress has been made............. I'll be back! Cheers Paul
  7. P

That's the bit I didn't get..... Where do I issue the "configure terminal" command? In the boot manager, it's not accepted as a command..... in the OS, only two commands are available.... "enable" which again demands a username/password..... and "show" ............. and I can't get into the GUI...
  8. P

My bad..... I didn't say that I'd given up with the direct connection and gone back to my original pfsense/HP2910al switch network. I ssh'd into the 2910 and could see the the mac address of the 6450 on the port it was connected too. So, I'm back into Fohdeesha's docs but, like Wolf, the...
  9. P

I changed the switch to 10.10.10.97, but I didn't change the W11/TFTP address...... It's got me through the first stage anyway......
  10. P

I did but unfortunately didn't get very far..... There was no ip set other than the one I set in the bootmanager..... and, even though my router could see the mac address of the 6450, I couldn't get to a GUI........
  11. P

Success!! I'm not sure exactly what did it..... but I changed the 6450 ip to a different address and also disconnected another switch on the network.... I did need to set a gateway........ but then it all kicked off..... so a HUGE thank you to all who took an interest..... So, I'm back in the...
  12. P

Every day is a school day..... I learnt that using the setenv command without a value, clears the existing one....... With that done, I returned to square one..... see attached grab...........
  13. P

Hi, thanks for your input................. Yep the gateway thing was early on in my ownership when it came back with a response of not being able to find a gateway..... my response was "uh ok... I'll see if I can set one...." I was surprised when it let me use the setenv command to set one...
  14. P

Hey Wolf, Thanks for your input. I tried that with different, but no better, results........ this time I couldn't ping either way and it just times out! I was semi-convinced it was my pfsense that was the problem, but with a simple pc to switch connection, it can't be... So, back to the...
  15. P

That's where my knowledge falls short when it's just a pc connected to a switch... where will it get one? and does it matter if I give the switch an address on the same subnet?
  16. P

I've found a setting within pfsense that disables ICMP redirects and that works now............ it doesn't answer the question of why I was getting them in the first place though............. I still can't ping the 6450 from W11.......... pinging everything else attached to my existing network...
  17. P

Hi, I'm very late to the 6450 party and I'm struggling! First off, huge thanks to fohdeesha and everyone else who allows people like me to stand on their shoulders.... it's very much appreciated. Currently, I'm running an HP 2910al with 10g modules, so I'm not totally unversed with console etc...