Search results

1. N

Quick first time buyer question

Thanks for all the debate you guys, I've been reading more about ZFS and these kinds of filesystems. My initial hold off with Linux was that this is also kind of a media center PC in my living room that my girlfriend and I emulate some games on in the living room occasionally, it's not a huge...
  2. N

Oh you're right something else I was reading earlier about some raid controllers having their own TLER that might fight with the HDD's confused me. What a rabbit hole data redundancy has been for the last 24 hours. I've looked at unraid before, it's another thing in my considerations and I've...
  3. N

I haven't decided on the OS/final setup yet. I might use FREENAS. Do you think the direct disk access still holds true even with no TLER/ERC? From what I've been reading that seems to be the primary benefit of using Z-RAID over hardware RAID Honestly a little bit of everything. Mostly media, I...
  4. N

I want to start a home NAS and I've had plenty of experience at work buying and configuring prebuilt Dell servers and the likes, but I can't say I've ever on my own had to buy a RAID controller that didn't come in a prebuilt system already. The sticky in this forum has been a huge help because...