Search results

1. F

Unable to get Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F to USB boot

So after a few go's, I managed to get the ESXi 7 installer to boot in UEFI mode from a USB drive. From there, I was able to install ipmicfg and reset the onboard IPMI. Also managed to find a tutorial on how to flash the LSI controller from the UEFI shell, so that's in IT mode now. Final thing...
  2. F

So I've had another poke through the BIOS this evening, and not finding anything referencing CSM or Compatibility Support Module... Any other suggestions? Thanks again
  3. F

Migrating napp-it to new hardware

Hey there, So I've currently purchased some new hardware for my Esxi/napp-it aio as I couldn't fit any more drives in the current case. I'm currently planning the migration from old to new hardware. I'm going to do a fresh install of esxi and napp-it ovf on the new hardware. When it comes to...
  4. F

EU WTB: UK - Supermicro 3U or 4U storage chassis

Damn, I've literally just had a 847 36bay chassis turn up. Would've bit your hand off at that price though...
  5. F

Hey there, So I've recently purchased a new storage server that includes a Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F. Unfortunately it looks like the previous owner failed to reset the IPMI, so I'm currently locked out... I managed to reset the IPMI network config via the BIOS, and so can hit the login page...
  6. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

I'm starting out with 12 SATA HDDs plus a couple of SSDs, so hopefully a 900w psu should be enough to start with. I can always add a 2nd if start adding more drives... Lucokly I managed to find one on ebay for £50, which was a bit of a bargain.
  7. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

So I've been and done it now... Managed to find a decent deal on a 36 bay CSE-847, loaded with a Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F motherboard, a pair of E5 2660v2 CPUs and 144GB of DDR3 ECC memory. Only bit I need to do is swap out the stock PSU's for a 920W SuperQuiet version, and possibly swap out...
  8. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

Thanks again @itronin So Yeh, I've currently got an x10sl7-f board which is fully populated with 32Gb of 1600mhz ecc mem... I currently run a handful of vms in addition to the nas vm; however I'm looking to move a lot of that off to a 4 node rpi4 k3s cluster I've recently built... So that...
  9. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

One more thought I've just had is around the re-use of my existing MB. A lot of the 846/847 chassis I'm seeing have an X9 dual-cpu board built in, and some have one or two CPU's included. So is there any merit in swapping out the bundled MB for my mATX X10SL7-F board? Other than my board...
  10. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

Thanks for all the info @itronin. Lots of bits to think about. Correct that the current 2308 is broken out into 8 sata ports, so I would need to combine into a sas expander. I hadn't even considered buying another 2308 to run the other 8 bays though. That does sound like the simplest and most...
  11. F

EU WTB: UK - Supermicro 3U or 4U storage chassis

Hi there, I'm looking for a Supermicro 3U or 4U storage chassis, like the 836 or 846. Without motherboard preferred, as I'm planning on transplanting an existing server-grade NAS. Let me know what you've got. Thanks Gavin
  12. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

So the time has finally come to increase the storage on my current ESXi/NAS AIO. Current specs are: Fractal Node 804 case Supermicro X10SL7 MB, onboard LSI2308 flashed to IT mode. Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 32GB RAM 6x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA3 SATA HDDs - General storage in RAIDZ2 2x 250GB Samsung...
  13. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

Awesome, cheers for that... Worked a treat :)
  14. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

That's what I expected to see, but there's no tftp option under services... This was a manual napp-it install onto an Omnios host if that makes any difference...
  15. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

Cheers for the pointers on jumbo frames, I'll take a look... One final question @gea - I'm trying to enable the tftp service, and can't seem to find the correct section within the napp-it UI... any pointers?
  16. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

Any pointers on how to enable Jumbo frames on OmniOS @gea ? I've tried: > ifconfig vmxnet3s0 mtu 9000 >ifconfig: setifmtu: SIOCSLIFMTU: vmxnet3s0: Invalid argument But just get an error :( I've also updated /kernel/drv/vmxnet3s.conf to include: >...
  17. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

@gea Cheers for the quick reply... So I've managed to make some progress by installing OmniOS 28 using an 8GB HDD and then adding Napp-It on-top... I've now got a working NAS, and was able to import the pools and things seem to be running ok ATM... WRT local datastore, it looks like my memory...
  18. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

So I'm having a bit of a mare with my ESXi/Napp-IT AIO box atm... It's been running perfectly happily for 2 years+, however in the past week or so I've been experiencing random IO waits when streaming via Kodi or Plex, and they have now got bad enough to trigger an 'All Paths Down' event in...
  19. F

NFS Media mounts and file permissions...

Still struggling with this... I've checked and the ACL is definitely set to 'everyone=@modify', and I've chown'd all the files on NAS to nobody... Any more suggestions on how to accomplish this on NFS v4? Cheers Gav