Search results

1. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

For reference, I deducted S/H from asking price and offered that to the seller, he accepted and I felt like I got my server shipped for free. The server was as described, in good shape, was well-packed, and arrived soon after I paid for it - a good seller in my book.
  2. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Yes, 12 sleds, three with drives installed, 9 empty. No screws - but they aren't too hard to find on eBay (I have a stash from other builds)...
  3. K

Hyper-V Server 2012 USB boot best practices

How about this? If you had an unused USB header on your MB you could easily run two USB keys off of something like this (after removing the back panel plate): Or if you have a spare 2.5" drive space you could use something like this: Addonics Product: Dual CF - SATA HDD Adapter...
  4. K

Home Server ITX build

Your CPU is LGA1155 but you indicate your MB is LGA1150... CPU - ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1230 v2 (8M Cache, 3.30 GHz) MB - ASRock > E3C224D2I
  5. K

DELL POWEREDGE C1100 CS24-TY 2 x XEON 5520 8GB 3.5 TRAYS RAILS

I have a couple that I got off dfsdirectsales.com at various times (when there were server coupons). When purchased from Dell DFS they came with 72 Gigs of RAM and one 250 Gig SATA HD - they were priced around $600, and with coupon they were around $400 (from memory), it's been a few months...
  6. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I know nothing about these, other I searched for them based on a mention by someone else - no idea on quality, other, but at $100/ea for a new i350 quad PCIe card they *seem* like a pretty good deal... Winyao WYI350-T4 RJ45 / PCI-E Network Card Adapter - Green - Free Shipping - DealExtreme...
  7. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I assume you mean, for example, importing a pre-built VM, say from Microsoft or Turnkeylunux.com? In those cases the VM configuration should be 'baked in' to the VHD/virtual disk set to what the vendor felt was appropriate. Of course, the settings can be adjusted up or down, but they should be...
  8. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I ordered SPARE power supplies, at $60 for two, it is cheap insurance - if the PS took a hit next year, where would I find a replacement PS for this chassis?
  9. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I used to think a one-to-one Virtual to Physical CPU ratio was best, but that had me running (for example) seven single-core Windows Server instances on a dual quad core host (leaving one core for the hypervisor), but further investigation tells me that I would likely see better performance if I...
  10. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I was commenting about VMs in the abstract, if a particular application calls for, say, 6 Gigs of RAM if installed on actual hardware, you should allocate that same amount of a RAM to the VM it runs inside. Some OSs function fine with 2 Gigs of a RAM, other will page/swap like crazy with less...
  11. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Opteron 2419 EE - here's a link to the benchmark I ran a few days ago...
  12. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I forgot to check earlier when I had my server on the bench, do I need low profile cards or will full height cards work? I think the slots are half- height, so low profile... Right?
  13. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

The price on the riser card just went up, from $17 -> $22...
  14. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Remember, it's neither a Dell MB nor chassis, it's a Tyan MB in a third-party chassis. I just ordered three from Amazon myself, just in case. Quad Gigabit NICs appear to be available in the $50-100 range on eBay, not too bad, IMHO.
  15. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

An update - Over on the benchmark page a fellow questioned my power consumption numbers, based on his quick back-of-envelope calculations, which caused me to pull out my Kill-A-Watt and double check my numbers. Long story short, I was wrong in my initial reports. Completely idle, this server...
  16. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I've had bad luck with Dell SIPs and PS/2 to USB converters on Dell Poweredge servers, but these aren't really Dell servers, they are Tyan, so it's worth a shot... Just save your receipt. As for your dozen servers w/ 2 Gigs of RAM on one 1TB drive, I'd seriously consider using multiple...
  17. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

I've found PS/2 to USB converters to be spotty with servers - a four port USB KVM might cost about as much as three decent PS/2 to USB converters... (A KVM like this is around $42, TRENDnet TK-407K 4-Port KVM Switch Kit (Version v1.3R) - Newegg.com ) Your link is to a picture for a SIP, used...
  18. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

Well, to answer your questions you need to discuss why you are looking at buying one in the first place. Myself, I bought it to replace white box servers I cobbled together for training purposes, and in that regard the C6005 works great. Some complain about power consumption, but twelve cores...
  19. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

If you can supply a list of relevant BIOS settings I'm happy to list the ones on my server which is not having any NIC issues I'm aware of, but I'm not going to be near my C6005 before tomorrow. I also promised some pics of the chassis & blades for another list member - I'll do those tomorrow...
  20. K

Dell 3-Node AMD DCS6005

How bad is AMD_RAID? For a simple RAID, maybe a software RAID inWindows will suffice? It seems simple to setup: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1b0ef255-32b2-4cc9-bc98-376ba4c0c7f0/how-to-mirror-boot-drive-in-windows-2012-rc