Search results

1. S

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

To be clear, is the IPMI completely unresponsive as well? It should never go offline even when the OS crashes...
  2. S

Have you tried a new PSU? A power issue is my first thought, especially with a failed motherboard. You could try setting up serial output for the console so you could capture the output, but that may not show you anything. In other news, I upgraded to the beta BIOS with no issues. Haven’t...
  3. S

Has anyone tried the beta BIOS 4.02L yet? I'd love to jump up to a 5000 series CPU, but BIOS quality has been pretty dubious at times on this board.
  4. S

I just checked my setup. I've got a 1.9TB Samsung PM983 on the 3.0 x2 slot, and a 2.0TB Intel P-4510 on the 2.0 x4 slot. I'd check the system logs and see if there's any error messages when the drive goes missing. It's still kind of hard to speculate whether it's the motherboard, versus a...
  5. S

I also am running Proxmox on the x470d4u, with OS and VM storage on a pair of NVMe drives. I’ve had no issues with it. Is it always the same drive that drops off? Have you tried swapping the two drives between the m.2 slots? And if so, is it always the same slot that has the problem?
  6. S

Anyone want to speculate if this board will get Zen3 support in the BIOS?
  7. S

NetApp 4486 for ~$280 shipped

IOM6 has Ethernet for Altenate Control Path (ACP), not something you can use for management.
  8. S

Anyone have issues with graphics in Linux? Specifically, Ubuntu 19.10 desktop, when gdm loads, the screen just freezes. Mouse cursor and a blank purple screen, cursor is frozen, console is completely unresponsive. I can still ssh and kill X. Happens on a clean install. GUI starts fine if I...
  9. S

Alternatives to Ryzen 3900x for home server?

I'm using Ubuntu 19. I'm expecting to not really need HW acceleration with a fast enough modern CPU, don't really have 4K content to begin with. I've read about the firmware issues on the x470D4U, hoping they're mostly sorted out by now, but I guess we'll see.
  10. S

Alternatives to Ryzen 3900x for home server?

For about $1200 I can get a 3900x/motherboard/64GB ECC. Is there anything else I should be considering that's comparable in performance, price, and power efficiency? Usage is an all-purpose home file/media/plex/homelab/game server. Xeons don't seem to have the cores or single-threaded...