Search results

1. J

Cheap generic rails?

you could get somehting like this intended for heavy disk shelves, but the server wont be attached in any way and will slide back and forth, another option is a shelf, but thats going to be almost as expensive as rails NetApp X5526A-R6 4-Post Universal Rackmount Kit | eBay
  2. J

Cheap generic rails?

there really isnt anything "standard" about rails. pretty much every chassis manufacture uses different rails
  3. J

How many screws do you use?

trays with a full bottom like Dell, I use 2 at the connector end. Trays with just the sides like supermicro I use all 4 otherwise the drive just isnt well supported. 2.5" usually needs all 4
  4. J

Can you mix SAS and SATA drives in the same RAID6 Array?

make sure you understand how the Areca is really handling SATA drives in a mixed SAS array. The older AReca I have worked with could do it, but the SATA drives were SLOW, it was intended for emergency use only until a proper matching SAS drive could be installed.
  5. J

Stacking Disk Shelves without shelves/brackets

the weight probably isnt a problem, but stacking drive shelves is not advised because the vibrations transfer between units and can cause drive errors or even failures if different RPM drives are mixed
  6. J

Anyone familiar recovering bricked Dell PSU from firmware update failure?

I've updated hundreds of those in R510's without an issue. I always use the update thru the lifecycle controller. Not updating the firmware can cause the PSU to lose communication and may not fail over to the 2nd PSU properly. You might try putting a "bricked" one in the 2nd slot with a...
  7. J

Securing 42U rack on wheels to wall?

as long as your floor is reasonably level, you should not need to anchor the rack (unless you live in an earthquake area). Load the rack from the bottom up, at least for heavy things, its ok if you put something like a switch at the top
  8. J

Dell R710

you need the Dell x16 riser, part GP347 New Dell PowerEdge R710 PCI-E x16 Riser Card Board GP347 0GP347 CN-0GP347 - Newegg.com