Search results

1. vl1969

Opinion needed, should I ditch my UPS or not?

Hi, need a third party opinion here. I have a couple of APC 1500 UPS. I changed the batteries in both about a year ago, until than they were unused for about 2 years as the batteries were dead. Now one of them, with the lightest load, a switch and the monitor, is beeping and sho bad battery...
  2. vl1969

Loosing hdd at random in my 24 disks server

Hi, not sure if this is the right place, so moderator move this where it belongs. I have a home server setup with an old ish supermicro sc846 enclosure. The details are in my sig, but it is a dual xenon with sas controller in IT mode and a 24 lines extender going to a SAS846TQ Supermicro 4U 24...
  3. vl1969

Can someone recommend odb2 to USB or 5.5mm to use with solar panel trickle charger.

Can someone recommend odb2 to USB or 5.5mm to use with solar panel trickle charger. I got a solar panel from eBay. But the cables is too short to reach the battery and the lighter cable is no good as it is off with no key. So I am trying to find an adapter from USB or 5.5mm plug to odb2...
  4. vl1969

Hi, if this is out of place deleted, but need an opinion.

Hello everyone, the reason I am asking this here is that I want to get an unbiased opinion. Not something swinging one way or the other. I am in plans to upgrade my 2010 Forester to new vehicle. My fozy is 10yo, 157k on the clock. I am the original owner. Under any other circomstances I would...
  5. vl1969

[solved]Zfs on Linux Bootable rpool setup(Proxmox 5.3)

Hi everyone, Haven't been here for a while. Have a strange question , maybe? I have a Proxmox 5.4 server setup on ZFS. The setup is as follows: A system is on 2 SSD in mirrored pool And around 16 HDDs of various sizes in mirrored pools based on disks size. Like I have a pool with 2T disks. A...
  6. vl1969

New server advice needed for home use.

Hi, my question is simple yet complicated in the same time. I may have an opportunity to aquire a 2 Dell r730xd servers fully loaded. Don't have full specs but like 128gb ram dual cpu at 2.3ghz 4 or 6 2tb sad disks each. The servers are about 4 years old but have been off for the last 1.5 year...
  7. vl1969

Need an opinion on smart phone selection

If I can get a samsung note 9 or huawey p30 pro for around 450$ for us market. What is the better choice. As it is they both fit my basic criteria 1 big screen 2 big ram 3 fast cpu 4 waterproof 5 wireless charging 6 good cameras. What is the better choice? Again I am in US. My carirer is tmo.
  8. vl1969

Need help and advice for a home router.

Hello everyone. Here is my issue. I am in USA. At home, I run a pfsence setup from the ISP to switch. For wifi I use netgera wndr3400 in AP mode. The setup is: an ISP modem(Cablevision) --> to my pfsence Than from pfsense to 24 port netgear switch. All networking is hooked up into the...
  9. vl1969

An interesting challenge that requires some help

Hi everyone. I have a chalenge that I would appreciate a little guidance and hand holding for. My problem I am running a proxmox home server. Config in my signature. Short outline is a 12 core 128gb ram OS disk is zfs mirror on 2 120gb ssd 3 zfs pools of variose size for data storage. A couple...
  10. vl1969

Need recomendation for download manager with web gui.

Ok I am here again asking silly questions, but I cannot find a good solution as of yet. I have been using jDownloader 2 on my desktop. It is Linux mint 18. Works great. However if I download something I need to keep my pc on. Not a good option. So I am looking for a recommendation on a nice...
  11. vl1969

Proxmox network conundrum, help needed and appreciated

Hello everyone. I have asked this on proxmox forum and got some info. Haven't time to test it out yet. But as I wait to get into it I thought I ask here. As a more general forum I might get more info to work with. So here it gose. I have a Proxmox home server based in supermicro x8dt3-ln4f mb...
  12. vl1969

FS: Adaptec 51245 SAS Raid Controller

Hi. I got this controller for my home server but it does not offer straight HBA mode. it will not work for me. so I want to sell it to recoup some of my money to buy the proper HBS card. this is Adaptec 2268100-R 51245 SAS Raid Controller with battery mounting PCB. no actual battery. full...
  13. vl1969

Please Help me find the best course of options for ZFS HBA.

Hi. I have been searching and searching for help all over. and still have no running server as of yet. here is my problem(s) I bought a SuperMicro X8DT3-LN4F Motherboard to upgrade my oldish Opteron based server. I run a Prxmox VE with 5 or 6 LXC containers for File serving and Media storage...
  14. vl1969

[CLOSED]does anyone know how to HP 487738-001 sas with SuperMicro X8DT3-LN4F Motherboard?

Hello everyone. I have been updating my home server with some new toys and run into an issue. the update is esentially a full server revamp except drives, case and some internals fans etc... I bought : SuperMicro X8DT3-LN4F MB 2 x Xenon E5670 CPU 64GB ram and HP 487738-001 468405-001 24-Bay...
  15. vl1969

[SOLVED]need help finding breackout cables.

hi everyone, I just got an HP 487738-001 468405-001 24-Bay 3Gb SAS Expander Card for my server but I need a SAS to SATA cables for it. I ordered a box of Molex 10 X Mini 10Gbps SAS SFF-8087 36Pin to 4 SATA 7Pin HDD HDD Splitter Cables Molex 10 X Mini 10Gbps SAS SFF-8087 36Pin to 4 SATA...
  16. vl1969

[SOLVED]Maybe a strange question but..

Maybe a strange question but can some one tell me if I can reuse dell r720dx innards in a supermicro case. I have an am 846a case but want to upgrade the mb and cpu. I can get a dell r720 bare bone with 2 cpu and 64gb ram for like 200$. But no disks and no cadies and anyways the 720 is 2.5in...
  17. vl1969

Need a little hand holding on Proxmox VE backup strategies.

Hello everyone. here is my dilemma, I have a "Single" Proxmox server setup, home use. all is current and updated. I am using ZFS across the board. all pools are ZFS mirror the layout is as follows: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM pvstore (2x1TB HDD)...
  18. vl1969

Home Server Setup and Management help needed.

Hello everyone. I am in need of some pointers and guidance on best way to setup and manage my Prioxmox VE 5.1.xx based home setup. for better help here is my setup and needs over all... I have a single SuperMicro server with dual hexacore Opterons (12 cores total) with 49GB RAM. Proxmox is...
  19. vl1969

FS: Dell PowerEdge R730dx Hard Drive Trays

Hi everyone. I have 4 of DELL CN-058CWC-FCT-00-763-0CAB-A01 HDD trays. 3.5 HDD Marked SATA 2TB 7.2k looks like this Google Image Result for https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61HkBvpSXLL._SX355_.jpg Google Image Result for...
  20. vl1969

FS: SuperMicro SIMSO+ 94V-0 0838 IPMI Card

Hello everyone. I have 1. SuperMicro SIMSO+ 94V-0 0838 Management Card comes with AOC-USB2RJ45 interface and 6" CBL-0165L cable. I got it to replace one in my server but it is not the same card. it is for the newer MB. my card and MB slot is longer. my server is old using SuperMicro...