Search results

1. wildchild

Hurricane Irma

Not unless global warming is accepted and governments finally start putting effort in things, instead of denial. Once upon a time lives through a hurricane myself, barely made it out alive. Surely hope all people will be ok, and the worst part.. José is on it's way too, and already a cat. 3...
  2. wildchild

What will happen with ZFS now Solaris is gone?

Zfs has been open since oracle kidnapped sun. A small, but increasing number of company's are very actively develloping on it, and while omniti stopped, a few very dedicated company's pitched in and took over, and have been very active. Openindiana has also been actively develloped, which is the...
  3. wildchild

WTB Ubiquiti network equipment

Same here, using a mix of intel and mellanox cards, 3m cisco dacs. Been running that alpha now for a couple of months without any issues on 2 switches. Since these are just l2 storage fabrics, and i have no need for ethernet except 1 gb management. I do think though that these have specific use...
  4. wildchild

Mikrotik

Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeRouter[emoji769] Infinity Runs on a vyatta derrivitive, should be easy enough to figure out for a cisco guy. If you wish to roll your own, buy a diy board, housing and required nics and give vyos a try VyOS – an open source router operating system
  5. wildchild

Post a pic of your dog

Since my better half and i breed dogs (/American Staffordshire Terriers )as a hobby... I wouldnt know where to start ;) Check out our fb page : Www.facebook.com/houseofancients
  6. wildchild

Fed up with BRTFS Redhat to create new ZFS-like FS called Stratis

Might sound like an idiot, but why not just add to the openzfs movement, no oracle stuff there Why is it that everytime some has to make the next new big thing, instead of improving what is there and proven ? Everytime some company starts something like this, in the end i fails, dies or get...
  7. wildchild

A silly Firewall question - home automation

I personally would never allow a company to fully control everything , without atleast having the root/admin creds to the equipment. This is vendor lock in pur sang, and if you ever deside to leave them, they will force you to stay. This principal goes both private and proffesional for me
  8. wildchild

Decision to make: SAN Replacement with Direct Attached Storage

Birthplace of zfs is what i mean of course :)
  9. wildchild

Now, as omnios/openindiana/solaris are the birthplace of solaris, i woukd suggest using them ( maybe combine with gea's excellent napp-it webgui) to baseline your stuff, start back checking from the what could be off, because them you would have a "know to work" well base os. If zfs is still...
  10. wildchild

Sophos XG VLANS + Unifi

Actually, this is rfc
  11. wildchild

Maybe, depends on what is needed, if you have a disk behaving badly, as DAS wouldnt give you a better performance. Point being, i think there's something off with you config, or maybe with the freebsd you're running.. Try an openindiana or oracle solaris live cd and test once more...
  12. wildchild

Why would you want to set i/o to 1 on 10g ? That would be limiting your throughput. Even on 1gb 10 would be more appropiate Experiment a bit with that. I have multipathing too, running through 2 seperated 10 ip subnets, on 2 l2 switch fabrics ( ubiquiti unifi 10g switches, running their alpha...
  13. wildchild

Pretty much running the same config as you are, difference is my hdd pool size ( 12 * 4 tb hgst sata disks) 2* intel 3700 as slog and samsung 840 pro 256 mb op'ed tot 70% . Memory 128 gb and intel 10 g. San Os is omnios Vmware 6 2* hp dl360 g6 , 96 mb Not seeing any of you latency's , so...
  14. wildchild

Running 10g...? Latency shouldnt be a problem on your san config....
  15. wildchild

Network switch recommendation for business poe must

Just be aware stacking is alpha at best
  16. wildchild

Network switch recommendation for business poe must

Using unifi's 10g l2 series here, especially since last firmware no issues any more. They're currently working on a stacking feature, which should go alpha pretty soon
  17. wildchild

OmniOS 151022 long term stable

Smartos is a hypervisor just like esx(i) Better off installing open indiana
  18. wildchild

Gea, are you aware if there is an upgrade path from omnios to openindiana ? Would be simply a change in repo's suffice ?
  19. wildchild

I concure.. As i send to the mailing list yesterday,"slow descent to a sure death" Seems no one is picking up or omni it isnt releasing the sign keys, nor is omni releasing any urgent patches, not even to their customers
  20. wildchild

Storage Advice Needed for iSCSI

Why not go with a vm napp-it ? Proven, stable and without the vsan quirks