Search results

1. C

HP / HPE Moonshot Unofficial Reference Guide

Yes, I have seen a module working 'standalone', but the person working on this blew up his module (short circuit on pins) and has stopped his efforts. I have a moonshot backplane, a complete moonshot and a single-slot EL1000 motherboard (homelab, so available for experimentation), and could...
  2. C

Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

That screen scrolls down, there are 6 SATA ports in total, they all basically react the same, but one of them is directly connected to the 'northbridge' (which is integrated in the CPU nowadays) and the others are connected via a controller on a PCIe lane, so the throughput is somewhat limited...
  3. C

Flashing blank CX455A to something useful.

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow and report. FNP=flash_not_present. Where was my little boot of common abbreviations?
  4. C

Nope.. flint -d 02:00.0 hw Flash0.WriteProtected=Disabled -E- Unknown option "Flash0.WriteProtected=Disabled" for the "Hw" command. you can use query. flint -v flint, mft 4.14.0-105, built on Feb 27 2020, 13:48:33. Git SHA Hash: 52fcec8 Also, just flashing it, no go: flint -d 02:00.0...
  5. C

Interestingly, fs.com sells a version of this card with slightly better labelling of the jumpers: I can make uit what JP1 says, that's I2C, but JP2 I can't quite make out... FNP?
  6. C

Or do you think booting in DFU mode (jumper set) would allow me to write the flash? That would be weird, right?
  7. C

Found why it does not work: From the page: ConnectX®-4 onwards Adapter Cards Family - MFT v4.16.0 - NVIDIA Networking Docs So I guess that card is bricked, as there is no FS3 firmware on it, and there is no way of putting it on without flint for OEM.. :-/ Thanks for your efforts!
  8. C

The only think that I can think of is that my 'flint' version is too new: root@bakkie:~# flint -v flint, mft 4.25.0-62, built on Aug 3 2023, 12:25:35. Git SHA Hash: c14a8d9
  9. C

I have tried both. And the Mellanox/NVIDIA documetation says it should work like that: https://docs.nvidia.com/networking/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=39284042 flint -d /dev/mst/mt521_pciconf0 -ocr hw set Flash0.WriteProtected=Disabled Except, when I run that command: root@bakkie:~# mst start...
  10. C

I figured out what is was with the flashed card (the card that allowed me to flash): Mellanox ConnectX 4 Lx Firmware recovery - forgot to power off->on ! As for the one where the flash is write-protected, there are no jumpers on the board, there is a header, but there are no pins soldered onto...
  11. C

Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

I used an ATX PSU 'helper' that shorts the power_OK and 'on' signal, like here: How To Turn On An ATX Power Supply Without A Motherboard But you can buy these are ATX psu connectors with the short in them. As I am just using the 5V and 12V (not the CPU connector, that works fine...
  12. C

Ebay purchased 100Gbit Mellanox cards, on one the flash is write-protected, so cannot flash that with any firmware, for now it is 'bricked' unless I can set the flash to write-enabled, but the latest version of flint will not allow that, so it gives me an error while flashing: flint -d...
  13. C

HP / HPE Moonshot Unofficial Reference Guide

Possibly a really stupid question, but has anyone got a pinout for the edge connector of the modules? They look like some kind of extended PCIe connector. The idea would be to run the modules outside of the chassis. So power and network would be the minimum.
  14. C

How do you cool that? Do you have an additional fan?
  15. C

I have taken my P340 i7-10700 to the limit, I think. Anyone who has 'more', let me know ;-) 1. 64Gbytes of memory 2. 2x NVMe drives in the 'native' slots (256Gbytes for the OS, 1Tbyte for cache/SLOG/whatever) 3. A PCIe switch card in the 1/2 height PCIe slot. (this provides 4x m.2 slots). 4. 3x...
  16. C

It would make sense if you are running only SATA SSD drives, as 2 of them in sequential read (~600Mbytes/sec) would already 'fill' one PCIe lane (1Gbyte/sec). But let's be honest, the 4x2.5Gbit is just about running at 1Gbyte/sec, and you are unlikely to use all 4 ports at 100% at the same time...
  17. C

I have a Gen 6 i5 (6500T)Lenovo M900 and a Gen 10 i7 (10700) P340. The M900 comes with a riser labelled 'tiny-4'. DO NOT PUT THIS INTO a P340. The motherboard is now toast. The P340 requires a riser labelled 'tiny-6'. $250 lesson (That's what a new motherboards costs). My theory is that they are...
  18. C

What would you do with the available bandwidth? 750Mbytes a second is enough to 'fill' 3/4 ethernet interfaces. That would give you 1500Mbyes per second. To do what? I'm quite happy to be able to use the extra lane to add 5 more SATA ports. Let's not forget, this is a 'desktop' processor. If you...