Search results

1. G

G7 Microserver Serial Console via ILO

Is there a way to get serial console over IPMI working? I can do ipmitool ... sol activate But I cannot seem to cat or minicom anything to/from the ports, and nothing comes up in ipmi console when I try. Is there a way to get this to work? Having to get the monitor attached for...
  2. G

G7 Microserver ILO - can't ssh to it?

Awesome, you were right - I just built OpenSSH 5.2, and that lets me ssh in. Now I have a way of bisecting the difference between the two. Thank you. :) Edit: Just in case somebody googles this in the future, the options to put in .ssh/config for the host/IP of the G7 microserver ILO are...
  3. G

I tried from an older client with -1 to force version 1 of ssh protocol, and fails with: Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs. 2 Looking at the output above, though, it does look like ctos and stoc lines match, which should imply that they to have agreed on protocols. If there was a mismatch...
  4. G

It's completely unrestricted on the machine I'm connecting from. I tried with Putty from a Windows machine, and that behaves exactly the same way.
  5. G

I recently brought a G7 microserver back into service and I seem to be having a problem with it's ILO card. The web part works, and I can configure the IP from the BIOS setup, but I cannot seem to ssh into it. This is what happens: $ ssh -vvv 192.168.0.101 OpenSSH_8.0p1, OpenSSL 1.1.1c FIPS...
  6. G

Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

The above measurement was on Linux, and the machine isn't entirely idle, it's spending 10-20% of CPU on other things running on it.
  7. G

That's pretty good going for a 32c/64t CPU. This is what I get: # 7za b 7-Zip (a) [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21 p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=en_GB.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,48 CPUs AMD EPYC 7402P 24-Core Processor (830F10),ASM,AES-NI)...
  8. G

@ari2asem I would argue it is more meaningful content than discussing how the tiny supply of low-clocked engineering sample CPUs only available technically illegally can be overclocked. It's not like we have a way of doing anything at all with the abundantly available retail CPUs at this time.
  9. G

Right, so optimistically: Epyc: 8x 2933 = 23,464 Threadripper: 4x 3600 = 14,400 So about 39% slower, assuming 1800 / 3600 is stably achievable.
  10. G

Are you saying that infinity fabric on trx is not limited to 1467MHz? Or do you mean that I'd partly mitigate losing 50% of the memory channels by gaining 30% more memory clock speed? I am eyeing the recently announced 7F72, but they still seem to be unavailable for purchase, and the price is...
  11. G

Oh, I thought 3200 was optimal for RAM. Is 2933 better for Epyc? I have 2933 DIMMs but I run them at 3200, 1T, without gear down mode. Is 2933 really going to be better (or no worse)? 7402P has cTDP of 200W, which I have set - I get close to maximum boost clocks even under full load. I have...
  12. G

So when it said "OEM", it meant just a different ES? :-) The thing is, I could do with a bump in clock speeds. I upgraded from a dual socket X5690 (all-core boost to 3.7, single core boost to 3.83), and compared to that, my 7402P (boost up to 3.35) single thread performance is virtually...
  13. G

How do I verify whether I have one of the OC-able OEM CPUs? It's a production model, came in an anti-static bag in bubble wrap, no fancy box. Will this work with Asrock EPYCD8-2T? Is there a Linux tool for this?
  14. G

Overclock your AMD Epyc

Why awk in the background window?
  15. G

Overclock your AMD Epyc

I give it even odds that the only difference is the size of the EEPROM chip for the BIOS.
  16. G

Overclock your AMD Epyc

I'm on air and not spectacularly overspecified one, and I can't get the CPU past 65C (7402P).
  17. G

Overclock your AMD Epyc

Is there a handy hack for doing this on linux?
  18. G

Overclock your AMD Epyc

Right, I foolishly assumed that you were talking about Rome. Possibly because that's what all the recent posts on the thread talk about.
  19. G

Overclock your AMD Epyc

What's the point of a WB on a CPU that runs lukewarm at stock settings and can't be OC-ed?