Search results

1. P

Interesting ITX Socket G2 (laptop sandy) Dual Intel NIC, vPro: $55 shipped

I have 7 boards in total. 2 with 1 bad dimm slot, one refuses to do anything (fully dead) and 4 others that work good. The socket definitely is a bit funny like that.
  2. P

From the bunch I ordered I got one that would not boot and two that had one bad ram channel. I believe they must have been using only one channel when they were deployed and didn't notice the manufacturing defect. Did you ask the seller about the issue? They promptly sent me replacements.
  3. P

That is a sick deal the quads are very expensive. RAM as well. I wish these combos had been available. Instead of I have a stack of boards and i5s.
  4. P

Recovering bad Broadcom cards

What I saw in the manual was most functions for broadcom utilities had -pwd for field technician use only. Did you try sending them an email? ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/Broadcom/Previous Releases/B57BCMCD_T7.2.4.2/dos/onchip_firmware/PXE/NX2/release.txt (Forum kills link no matter what I...
  5. P

Ubiquity EdgeSwitch 24/48 ports

Looks like they are up for preorder already in online shops. Seems stock should be flowing soon.
  6. P

Coming back online

I was thinking along the lines of a drive going bad and introducing something into the backplane. Good info about the in-rush current protection on the Intel drives. I haven't looked much into this for drives. I fix lots of electronics with shorted components mostly around the power input or...
  7. P

Coming back online

Ouch. That is a pretty brutal failure! Props on getting it back up and working to this degree quickly. Weird stuff happening with that backplane I wonder what additional protection is built into the intel drives that made them survive.
  8. P

i5-2520m ~$50 seems to be the magic cheap processor with all the features. benchs about same as a Q6600 but way faster single thread I think
  9. P

Sick deal here 2820QM for almost $150 Genuine Intel Quad i7 2820QM SR012 2 3GHz Mobile Socket PGA988 Laptop Processor | eBay I am just starting a new job tomorrow morning and I don't have any money for food. So someone else please buy it :(
  10. P

I picked up 4 of these and 4 x i5-2520M going to build me up a nice cluster. Been playing with them since he posted the original 5. The microcode in the bios is pretty damn old. Not going to work with ivy bridge without injecting new code. QS are ok as far as I have read for these quads in...
  11. P

Web server "Wait" time - troubleshooting thoughts

Do you have Browser caching disabled in W3TC? Ngnix I think should be handling that behavior. I also read somewhere that you should check the folder that is holding the static pages (IIRC) for a blank cached file. It could be something like for some reason the static file being served is also...
  12. P

What are your settings anyway? Is it possible that it and the nginx caching are conflicting?
  13. P

I get it now. The W3TC problem is very widespread on google hadn't seen it before. Looks like some people have fixed by extending the php memory limit and execution time. YMMV. Still poking around see if I can find something newer but switching cache plugins looks like it would do the job
  14. P

Are you sure its a caching problem? Caching is still saving me 75-100ms on the load if I turn it off and on. Have you tried adding microtime to a Wordpress page to see where the bulk of the 700ms is? Timing WordPress Requests | Roots
  15. P

This is what I am seeing with firebug. The forums are loading much quicker. Looks like something is slowing down the page generation on the server side. With PHP you can simply copy one of the pages that is loading slow. Insert the microtime function at the top then call it again and echo...
  16. P

Hyper-V All-in-One (Firewall, Router, ZFS, napp-it Web) - Under 60w

I have some 1U supermicro chassis but they have the I/O on the back. In mine to drop temperatures considerably I cut out thin cardboard piece to cover all the vents on the front. Increasing the pull from the back of the case, across the board and then out the PSU exhaust.
  17. P

edited

They were never supported but were drivers and there are still drivers they are just not enabled by default.
  18. P

Mellanox ConnectX-3 FDR/EN 56G 2-Port Adapter | HP 649282-B21 (MCX354A-FCBT)

Yeah even a CPU reseat may have an effect. Most likely you fried something but once in awhile something just gets shifted slightly when moving stuff around etc. Remember to disconnect the sata cables as well. Sometimes even though you have disconnected the device it could be a short in a cable...
  19. P

Mellanox ConnectX-3 FDR/EN 56G 2-Port Adapter | HP 649282-B21 (MCX354A-FCBT)

Have you tried: 1) Unplug 2) Disconnect everything except KB/Mouse/Monitor 3) Disconnect everything inside except frontpanel & PSU connectors 4) Remove all addin cards 5) Remove CMOS battery 6) Press power button a few times 7) Replace CMOS battery 8) Reseat RAM & possibly try with a...