Search results

1. R

Squid vulnerabilities and Netgate deprecating it in pfSense

Soo... I am sure some of you may have seen this already, but if not here's a link: https://www.netgate.com/blog/deprecation-of-squid-add-on-package-for-pfsense-software tl;dr version: Squid is apparently quite vulnerable and is not being fixed upstream, so Netgate decided to deprecate it. The...
  2. R

Intel Optane 900p 280GB 100 USD

Probably related to the i9-12900k + 900p 280GB SSD deal, someone is selling a whole bunch (12 it appears) of these for just a 100 USD: https://www.ebay.com/itm/145118812396 As far as I can tell they do free shipping within the US (shipping to EU doesn't look too bad either). EDIT: You can find...
  3. R

Tips & Tricks for selling on eBay?

So as the title suggests, I am looking to reduce the amount of hardware I have lying around by selling it on eBay. As such I would like to improve my knowledge about how to do this before starting. In particular I am interested in the following: Are there any good resources out there in...
  4. R

Datto case, what's the OEM?

Anyone happen to know what the OEM is for this case? https://www.ebay.com/itm/134078346056 Of course I would also like to know if you can buy the case somewhere?
  5. R

Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe - 2x 25G router in a PCIe slot

As I was looking up prices for the CCR2216 router because of the article that was posted on the main site, I noticed they also had this interesting card called CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe listed. Apparently it's a CCR2004 equivalent router with two SFP28 interfaces + 1G RJ45 that you can stick in a...
  6. R

pfSense 2.6 and pfSense plus for non-netgate devices

So it has been a long time since the last release, but 2.6 was released today. While they were at it, Netgate has now opened up to install pfSense plus on non-Netgate devices (like the ones we all like to build), but honestly I can't remember what the difference is between CE and Plus (I think...
  7. R

OPNsense DEC840/850 fanless firewall devices

So it seems to have flown under the radar here, but apparently (as I recently was made aware of) the OPNsense people has released some very interesting firewall devices recently. Highlights: 4 or 8 core AMD EPYC (3101 and 3201 respectively for DEC840 and DEC850). 8/16 GB DDR4 (again...
  8. R

EXPIRED Ruckus ICX7150484X10GRR

So this looks fairly cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruckus-ICX7150484X10GRR-48-Port-L3-Managed-Ethernet-Switch-BRAND-NEW/293540242453 190 CAD + shipping, but shipping to Europe is pretty steep, so figure you guys might want it. As far as I can tell it's a Ruckus ICX7150-48-4x10GR switch which...
  9. R

CentOS 8 to be discontinued at end of 2021

Apparently Red Hat have decided that they had enough of people using RHEL for free via CentOS by deciding to stop supporting CentOS 8 at the end of 2021 in favor of CentOS Stream 8. https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/ CentOS Stream is apparently intended to function as an...
  10. R

No link with Supermicro A2SDI-TP8F

I have been trying to troubleshoot an issue I have with getting a link on the SFP+ ports of my Supermicro A2SDI-TP8F motherboard and my CRS326 switch (the cheap version with 2x sfp+ and 24x 1g) with a Mikrotik DAC cable. As I am at my wits end, I am posting this here in the hope that someone...
  11. R

EXPIRED ASRock D2143D8UM 330 GBP OBO

The ASRock D2143D8UM is a mATX board with a Xeon D-2143IT (8 cores) SoC. Notably it does not come with any ethernet interfaces (not counting the one for IPMI) and needs a mezzanine (not sure if it is OCP standard) cards or separate PCIe for that...
  12. R

Netgate TNSR finally free home/lab

This was posted today: Netgate® is Resetting Its TNSR® Software Offering Netgate finally released a TNSR option for us mortals unwilling to talk to sales people, it allows us to test the solution for free :) Also they changed the licensing model, so it is much more transparent, it is now per...
  13. R

Redoing network, looking for L3 switch recommendation and comments

In the not too distant future I expect to be revamping my home/lab network. But I am a little stumped as to how to which switches to buy. As always it is difficult to find the right balance of performance and price, I know I will have to make a compromise somewhere. My overall plan is to...
  14. R

HP H240 (SAS3 HBA) 30 GBP from EU seller / 34 USD from US seller

So... there may be some obvious reason why they are not popular, but the H240 seems to ridiculously cheap compared to LSI/Broadcom SAS3008 based cards although they have similar specs. Specwise there isn't that much to say, SAS3, two ports (although they appear to be SFF8087 rather than...
  15. R

Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS (12x sfp+, 2x sfp28) router msrp 595$

So I figure some of you might find it interesting, that Mikrotik has released details of their new CCR2004 router. Link to more information on their website It has 12x 10g SFP+ ports, 2x 25g SFP28 ports and a 1G port (management usually), all priced very nicely at a MSRP of $595. As far as I...
  16. R

Cisco SG250 switch full-duplex port mirroring

I have recently purchased a neat little Cisco SG250-08HP switch for port mirroring for a network sniffer as well as (future) POE use, but unfortunately I have been having a little trouble with the configuration of the SPAN/mirror ports. What I am trying to achieve is to mirror rx and tx traffic...
  17. R

pfSense 2.4.5 released

As the title says, pfSense 2.4.5 was released today. pfSense 2.4.5-RELEASE Now Available Do note that they also posted another article on their blog, suggesting to wait upgrading critical systems while travel restrictions are in effect: Important pfSense Software Upgrade Guidance While COVID-19...
  18. R

What to do with Quanta T3048-LY2 switch

A while back, I bought a Quanta T3048-LY2 switch, primarily because it was cheap... :oops: And while I no longer have plan for what to use it for, I figure it would be cool if I could find a use for it, in a lab or something. It's a 48x 10Gbe (sfp+) and 4x 40Gbe (QSFP) bare metal switch, with a...
  19. R

Intel S3700 800GB 85$ OBO (HP Branded)

As most of you probably know the S3700 SSD is a nice little high endurance / write optimized disk. It is specced at 10 DWPD over 5 years. I was able to secure some at 75$, but you may have more luck. HP INTEL 800GB 6G SFF 2.5" SATA MLC SC SSD 691868-B21 692167-001 691842-004 USED | eBay
  20. R

3d printing fan holder bracket for heatsink

So I just ordered a cheap 3D printer (Creality Ender 3 Pro) due to Amazon prime day, and I have been thinking it might be a good use of it, to print something that will help hold a fan to the Cooljag BUF-E heatsink I bought a while ago. Have any of you guys done something like this? or have...