Search results

1. R

Minisforum MS-01 opnsense VM: WAN & LAN low performances

This is just grasping for straws here, but you could look into playing around with the hardware offloading features inside OPNsense: https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/interfaces_settings.html If I am reading the docs correctly, they are disabling most features (which afaik is generally...
  2. R

Bare-metal, single node iSCSI SAN software with web-based UI that doesn't use ZFS, costs nothing and is actively developed

I was going to quote the link I posted earlier, but I must have only skimmed the blog post (it was not about configuring the system as target, but to use a target), so turns out I may well be wrong here, my bad... :(
  3. R

Bare-metal, single node iSCSI SAN software with web-based UI that doesn't use ZFS, costs nothing and is actively developed

So I have a few thoughts on the topic, in no particular order: I could be (and likely am at least to an extent) wrong here, but it is my understanding that if you are talking about solutions based on FreeBSD and Solaris, your do not have many options when it comes to filesystems (afaik you have...
  4. R

Squid vulnerabilities and Netgate deprecating it in pfSense

Soo... I am sure some of you may have seen this already, but if not here's a link: https://www.netgate.com/blog/deprecation-of-squid-add-on-package-for-pfsense-software tl;dr version: Squid is apparently quite vulnerable and is not being fixed upstream, so Netgate decided to deprecate it. The...
  5. R

Any (free) Hypervisors That Can Bridge NICs In The VSwitch?

There's a bit too much information in the original post, that isn't really required. Especially it seems there is some confusion as to what "teaming" is and when to use it. OP, teaming is not what you want, it is for creating a logical link over more than one cable (to get redundancy and/or...
  6. R

Automatic redirect to https????

Great you found a solution :) What's the problem with using https? Is your IPMI old enough to not support modern TLS ciphers? Annoyed at the selfsigned certificate warning?
  7. R

The New MikroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN Finally Joins 2.5GbE Switch Revolution

Interesting... but it is a shame that they had to include a fan.
  8. R

X540-AT2 flashing LED's

Yes (at least I am pretty sure, that is the case). If I understand bypass functionality correctly, it allows network traffic to flow in on one port and out on the other probably in a fail-open type setup. This means that if the NIC fails for some reason or software isn't loaded, the traffic is...
  9. R

X540-AT2 flashing LED's

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am fairly sure your problem is that you bought a "bypass NIC". Bypass NICs does some fancy stuff (not really but it sounds good), that I believe make them suitable for devices that sit in-line on a network connection such as IDS appliances. If you want...
  10. R

Mikrotik CRS310-1G-5S-4S+ 1G SFP ports dying one by one

I don't think it would make much difference, but have you upgraded routerboot when you upgraded the OS? If not, then I suggest you do so, as they do suggest updating it when updating firmware (/system/routerboard/upgrade) Other than that, have you checked the system's log to see if it can tell...
  11. R

Qlogic BR-1020

Unfortunately vmware is quite adept at removing support for older hardware, they removed support for a bunch of hardware with esxi 7. Especially stuff like NICs and SAS controllers were hit, but I suppose you might run into issues if your CPU etc. is also really old. I am pretty sure these...
  12. R

Qlogic BR-1020

Fair enough, if you need esxi 8 support, you are definitely going to want something other than this. I suppose the best idea is to just use the HCL to search for FCoE CNAs that support ESXi 8 like this...
  13. R

Qlogic BR-1020

OK, I have taken a look, I can't find any firmware for these cards unfortunately.
  14. R

15.34TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSDs $1K?

Yeah, unfortunately the problem is that mobile racks tend to be pretty bad and have annoying fans, assuming you can even find cases with 5.25" bays. Lian li used to make a case (not sure if they still have something like it) where the front was basically all 5.25 bays, so would be "perfect" for...
  15. R

15.34TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSDs $1K?

Interestingly the drives are available here (DK/EU) from retailers at the same price (when you factor in VAT) (probably it is being sold by the same distributor behind the scenes). So it sounds like it may be a more broad thing than just some seller on eBay. It almost makes me want to build a...
  16. R

Qlogic BR-1020

I have a pair of those cards, and I know I updated them at some point. I will go take a look, if I for some reason kept the firmware. The 1020 is a CNA, so it should do both FC and Ethernet (I suppose it is called FCoE), I am not sure if you need the proper switch to do the bridging between...
  17. R

EU EU - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

Sorry, I do not, I used DAC cables when I used them.
  18. R

EU EU - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

I have some stuff to give away as I don't think I can (ethically) sell them, but before I recycle them I figured would ask if anyone wants them? To give an indication of the state of the devices, I have put the reason why I don't think I can/want to sell them in parenthesis. 1x SAS 4i4e...
  19. R

Pfsense network card compatibility

I assume you are considering building a device, because you do not have a 40G capable switch and building a router is cheaper than buying a new 40g capable switch? If not, then you probably want to use a switch, if you only do 40G within the same subnet, it should not even matter if it is a L3...
  20. R

Pfsense network card compatibility

I think it is worth keeping in mind, that TNSR is more intended to function as a high performance router than a firewall, and as such I don't think you should necessarily use that instead of pfsense/opnsense/vyos/etc. It all really depends on your application. Generally speaking, I suggest you...