Search results

1. A

Trying to get some 10TB drives working with a SAS card...

Dell perc controllers will only work with Dell branded SAS disks. If you want to use non-dell branded 3.5" disks they'd have to be SATA as they work fine. I had a similar issue with SSDs in that generic SATA SSDs worked fine in a T630 but generic SAS would just show as offline.
  2. A

Testing limits of home Ethernet wiring

You can run 10Gbe over Cat5e as I'm doing it myself but my cable run is only about 10 metres so it's not an issue. I do use Cat7 patch cables at both ends but it worked with Cat5e patch cables before they arrived in the post. The best thing to do is just walk around the house with a 10Gbe...
  3. A

Desperate search for Arista EOS firmware

Also looking for the latest EOS firmware for the below switch: Arista DCS-7150S-24-F Hardware version: 12.03 Serial number: System MAC address: 2899.3a8f.2da9 Software image version: 4.19.3F-2GB Architecture: i386 Internal build version: 4.19.3F-2GB-6971068.4193F Internal...
  4. A

Low cost 16 port 10GBase-T switch

I've got the netgear xs716 which I'd recommend as it's quiet and small so might fit the bill
  5. A

QSFP+ 40GB to 10GBase-t possible?

Yeah I've seen the QSFP to SFP media converters however on fs.com they specifically state their 10Gbase-T SFP transceivers aren't compatible with them. The HP PN looks good but given that they seem to be only the provider I wouldn't be surprised if they only work on specific HP switches. I've...
  6. A

QSFP+ 40GB to 10GBase-t possible?

I've already got a bunch of servers and clients with 10GBase-t copper NICs installed but I'd like to upgrade the switch. I've seen an Arista I like the features of but it's only got QSFP+ 40Gb ports on it. I've looked for 10GB SFP+ Arista switches but they seem to be way more expensive second...
  7. A

Dell VRTX(Perc8) Consumer SSDs

Yeah you have 2 issues, the first is that the VRTX only supports Sas drives and the second is that it only supports Sas drives with dell firmware so you can't just get an off the shelf drive
  8. A

Dell H730/H740 drive compatibility

I've had them come up as blocked in the raid console rendering them unusable. This happens when the raid controller doesn't like the firmware on the drive.
  9. A

Dell H730/H740 drive compatibility

I've run consumer and enterprise sata hdds and SSDs on the perc h730p without issue. What I've found though is that you will start to run into issues if you try to use none Dell Sas drives.
  10. A

Dell drive compatibility list

That is weird although not the first time I've heard that happen. If you ask Dell they'll come out with some rubbish about the disks not being certified for that particular controller. Lets be honest it's just so they can charge a HUGE markup on the disks and force you to buy them. Here in the...
  11. A

No unfortunately not :( I didn't want to mess with the disks as I didn't want to risk not being able to send them back to the retailer. I ended up buying a bunch of replacement dell 3.84tb SSDs which obviously work fine.
  12. A

So I just checked and the drive comes up as 512b on the raid controller when it fails so I just don't think the controller wants me to use these uncertified drives with them :(
  13. A

Were you're PM1643 drives from Samsung or were they from an OEM? I bought mine from retail from so I'd expect them to have standard formatting on them rather than OEM specific.
  14. A

Its the Dell VRTX chassis with shared Perc8 controllers and all the firmware is up to date. I've also tried the drives in a Dell T630 with a H730p raid controller that's fully up to date and that just comes up as failed if I try to put one of the PM1643 drives in it. I was a bit surprised as...
  15. A

Does anybody know where the Dell drive compatibility list is hidden? I can't seem to find one and I just bought 6 3.84TB Samsung PM1643 SSDs which are coming up as blocked in my VRTX chassis.
  16. A

Dell VRTX chassis and blade compatibility

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one with M630p blades with E5 v4 processors so I know they will work. I'm not bothered about the M640 blades as they are to expensive for very little gain as I don't need masses of compute and I get the power advantages of the 14nm process with the v4s anyway.
  17. A

I've not bought anything yet. Trying to get a good understanding of the platform before investing.
  18. A

I did look at the Dell site but obviously that information is for the current version being sold. I'm hoping it's as you said and it's just a dumb enclosure but don't want to take the risk without being sure given they still aren't cheap even for the older chassis.
  19. A

I'm looking to pickup a used VRTX chassis and I'm wondering if there are any differences in blade compatibility based on the age of the chassis? If I buy an older one would I be able to run the newer blades in it such as the M630 with v4 intel CPUs?
  20. A

10GB CPU bottleneck help

As a small update I disabled the spectre and meltdown patches in Windows 10 (for testing only) and my copy test has jumped from 600Mb/s to 850-900Mb/s??? Can't believe those patches have such a huge impact on network throughput.