Search results

1. S

Is SFP+ switch compatible with 10base-T copper wire?

I watched the NEW Sub $69 Fanless 2.5GbE Switches with 10GbE YouTube video, and all the network switches are SFP+ 10GbE LAN uplink (at least the 5 port switches I was looking at) and was wondering... My home network is CAT6 copper wiring, RJ45 ports. Is CAT6 copper wire 10base-T compatible...
  2. S

TrueNAS native vs TrueNAS under Proxmox

I want to fully utilize my hardware resources, therefore I create containers/virtual machines that can share the same hardware resources. I have one big machine that can do multiple things. Also, managing a container is much simpler.
  3. S

What performance sacrificed by running VMware vSphere

What performance do I sacrifice by running VMware vSphere (or other virtualization solution)? I don't know much about "bare metal" and all the offerings. Sounds ideal to have one super machine hosting other machines. I want one of the virtual machines to be my main workhorse, and several...
  4. S

8-bay cases for MicroATX

I'd go with the Fractal Design R5. I don't need hot swapping. I want something to keep the noise down, so I don't want open drives.
  5. S

Parental Control/Monitoring Solutions?

I explored Disney Circle, and what I found valuable is the time/screen allowance. I want to limit/reward screen time. Not by time of day, but by duration. I want to block categories of sites (and not have to hover), similar to OpenDNS. I want to allow appropriate education sites, regardless of...
  6. S

Should I build a NUC HTPC?

That's a great link. I'll be doing some reading on: Minix Amazon Fire TV (best price) Apple TV The above choice are cheaper, and I think I read the hardware for HEVC decoding is optimized. The Amazon Fire TV price is real hard to beat! Thanks all for putting me on the right track.
  7. S

Should I build a NUC HTPC?

My plan is to have a capable media server (i.e. Plex Media Server) in the backroom, and stream video to Plex Media Player to a device connected to my TV. For the player device at the TV, I'm thinking of building a compact and silent device, and came across Intel NUC. I also want the ability to...
  8. S

Need fan? (Supermicro C3000)

I'm looking at the Supermicro C3000 motherboard/processor series, and many do not come with a CPU fan, just a CPU heatsink. The models without the fan, do they require a chassis fan? Or do these models not produce the heat, therefore the heatsink is all that is needed? Thanks.
  9. S

Motherboard/CPU for SnapRAID

What are some motherboard/CPU options for SnapRAID that don't exceed the requirements to the point of wasting money? My only requirements are: Support for up to 8 drives ECC Thanks.
  10. S

E3 Xeon Motherboard with Transcoding and IPMI?

What about SnapRAID, Open Media Vault, and the plugins?
  11. S

Ryzen Pro and ECC

I read ECC is not supported, and is not 100% reliable.
  12. S

Fanless PSU

Are there concerns about running a fanless PSU? Or does a fanless PSU depend on chasis fans? The server will be in the office, and would prefer less noise. The workload will mostly be from Intel Kaby Lake CPU and 8 x 5400 RPM drives.
  13. S

RPM's 5400 vs 7200 (Heat, Noise, Reliability)

I'm considering Western Digital RED 5400 RPM and Seagate Wolf 7200 RPM drives for my media server NAS with will stream over a wired network to my TV. I will install eventually a maximum of 8 drives. In regards to the RPM's of 5400 vs. 7200: Is there a heat difference I should consider? Is...
  14. S

Memory: Rank and Registered/Unbuffered

What does it mean to be dual ranked x4 based versus dual ranked x8 based?
  15. S

Memory: Rank and Registered/Unbuffered

What is is the recommended memory configuration with the following requirements: System board: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F Processor: Intel® Xeon® processor D-1518 The system board supports DDR4, 4 slots, dual rank, 4x data width. Purchasing 32GB, and potential for 64GB in future. I want...
  16. S

6TB Helium Drive Availability?

Thanks. Hopefully not much longer until we see them in the Desktop NAS Drive market. Hope to see the low RPM versions too.
  17. S

6TB Helium Drive Availability?

Any guesses why and when we'll see 6TB helium drives for our NAS's? Helium drives have been out for a while...and I don't understand why there's such a long delay. Thanks, Jake
  18. S

Differentiating NAS Hard Drives?

What is the best way to test and "burn them in"? Which manufacturer has the best tools? Best support for Linux?